List Mgmt. Part 3- And on it goes: The trade and draft megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Hutchings, Masten and Redden - I'd select Kelly over all three.

A starting midfield of Naitanui, Shuey, Yeo, Sheed, Gaff and Kelly is not going to be relying too much on a tagger. Roles and gameplan will change based on what our squad looks like.

Masten isn't in the team. Redden is our inside mid that frees up Shuey or Yeo. Hutching's job on Sidebottom damn near won us the GF. Add to that both Redden and Hutchings are strong defensively. You actually do need some defensive mids.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
Masten isn't in the team. Redden is our inside mid that frees up Shuey or Yeo. Hutching's job on Sidebottom damn near won us the GF. Add to that both Redden and Hutchings are strong defensively. You actually do need some defensive mids.

So 2019 Tim Kelly —Averages
30 disposals a game ,
4.5 tackles
3.5 marks
9.5 clearances
4.5 Inside 50’s

And your suggesting you wouldn’t put him in your team ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
30 disposals a game ,
4.5 tackles
3.5 marks
9.5 clearances
4.5 Inside 50’s

Dom Sheed v2019

33 disposals
1.5 tackles
8 marks
7 clearances
5 inside 50s
4.5 rebound 50s
1 goal

Whose spot does he take in the Geelong midfield? Kelly, Dangerfield, Ablett, Selwood or Duncan?

Max Zero's point isn't without merit. Kelly in either means someone in the main midfield rotation out or someone in the HF/mid rotation out. We're not just going to drop Redden or Sheed to fit him into the centre square for the whole game. That's silly.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Didn't NN do an interview saying he'd absolutely take a pay cut next contract and just put the contract in front of him and he'll sign?

Nic joked that he will need to wait and see whats laft after all the big players had signed on.

Said later that it was understandable his next contract would be lower than the current one.

Nic could still get $1m a year with only $500k in the cap.

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
The midfield dynamic is an interesting point. Geelong have been rotating players in more this year but gaz and danger are really good upfront.

If we added Kelly we would have to rotate him through the wing and HFF to fit in all the players. At least with cogs he can play on inside role and has done tagging jobs previously so a upgraded hutch going by roles

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
Dom Sheed v2019

33 disposals
1.5 tackles
8 marks
7 clearances
5 inside 50s
4.5 rebound 50s
1 goal

Whose spot does he take in the Geelong midfield? Kelly, Dangerfield, Ablett, Selwood or Duncan?

Max Zero's point isn't without merit. Kelly in either means someone in the main midfield rotation out or someone in the HF/mid rotation out. We're not just going to drop Redden or Sheed to fit him into the centre square for the whole game. That's silly.

I don’t really care how the MC manage the midfield or what the team looks like but if Wce trade/draft for Kelly I will be onboard..

Probably similar situation for the guys that want Coniglio ..Good competition for spots in the team .

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Why would we even entertain the idea of trading Brander, we spent a 1st round draft pick on him in a draft where we needed midfielders, plus he also grew up supporting us. We took both Brander and Allen before Kelly for a reason, if we let either one go it could be a reverse JK moment for us.

Carlton gave up a future gun in JK to land the undisputed number one mid in the comp in Judd.

Is Kelly even in the top 10?

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
The midfield dynamic is an interesting point. Geelong have been rotating players in more this year but gaz and danger are really good upfront.

If we added Kelly we would have to rotate him through the wing and HFF to fit in all the players. At least with cogs he can play on inside role and has done tagging jobs previously so a upgraded hutch going by roles

Cogs also is an effective forward deep.

Very versatile.

Masten or Venables would make way for either.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I don’t really care how the MC manage the midfield or what the team looks like

These things are somewhat important.

but if Wce trade/draft for Kelly I will be onboard..

Likewise, if the price is right. If the asking price is two x first round picks I am on board with passing.

IProbably similar situation for the guys that want Coniglio ..Good competition for spots in the team.

Similar except Coniglio has been better for longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
30 disposals a game ,
4.5 tackles
3.5 marks
9.5 clearances
4.5 Inside 50’s

These things are somewhat important.

Likewise, if the price is right. If the asking price is two x first round picks I am on board with passing.

Similar except Coniglio has been better for longer.

I support getting Kelly as well but like you said only at the right price. Two 1st rounders is overs for a guy who we want but don't need.

Perhaps he could play on a HFF but we also want games into Allen, Brander and Petrucchelle.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I support getting Kelly as well but like you said only at the right price. Two 1st rounders is overs for a guy who we want but don't need.

Perhaps he could play on a HFF but we also want games into Allen, Brander and Petrucchelle.

Want but don't need but also have the better bargaining position. It's really not an auction with 18 bidders. Kelly will either stay with the Cats or end up at WC/Freo, with the latter not preferred due to reasons on which others can speculate.

Player values are highly subjective. Easy to say a player is worth a top 10 pick when your own team doesn't have a top 10 pick and/or isn't in the frame. Very few people actually saying 'I hope negotiations between WC and Geelong break down and we use pick 5 to get Kelly'. Picks on the other hand are less subjective. We'll end up with pick 1-18, most likely 11-18 and hopefully late teens. Regardless of what picks we end up with they are tradeable with all 17 other clubs. If we have pick 10, we can shop that around to every club. Kelly while "worth" pick 10 is not as liquid.

chaddy22

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2012
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
[

No he would be in the centre getting clearances.9.5 clearances.which eagle is getting those figures.Last time I looked we are getting beaten in the clearnces and the stoppages but every other west coast midfielder is better then him.dream on.

We’d be a better side with Kelly in it which is why we’ve tried getting him to the club the last 2 years

Fully expect we’ll go hard again for him at the end of this season and hopefully third time lucky

Interesting numbers after two rounds of footy.

25ebbe807c844b6eab34a60c94a042ae.jpg

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Eh I mean who exactly are we going to drop from our midfield to fit Kelly in?

Shuey, Yeo, Gaff, Sheed are set in stone.

Redden and Hutchings play completely different roles that are critical to team balance.

We always play two rucks.

Our defence is set (7 defenders with 1 rotating): Mcgovern, Barrass, Hurn, Jetta, Sheppard, Cole, Duggan.

The only place he may play is in the forward line (7 forwards with 1 rotating): Kennedy, Darling, Ryan, Rioli, Cripps auto picked. He would be competing with the like of Brander, Venables and Allen who we want to get games into.
In - Kelly
Out - Masten

Nov 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool | Golden State Warriors
How do people view Kelly vs Coniglio if you had to pick one...

Does Kelly with his 'dynamism and goal-threat' provide a better point of difference?

Or would Coniglio concentrating on the grunt/inside work free up Shuey & Yeo to do more damage on the outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back