List Mgmt. Part 3- And on it goes: The trade and draft megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do people view Kelly vs Coniglio if you had to pick one...

Does Kelly with his 'dynamism and goal-threat' provide a better point of difference?

Or would Coniglio concentrating on the grunt/inside work free up Shuey & Yeo to do more damage on the outside?

Coniglio in a heartbeat. Coniglio is the sort of player that can win a game off his own boot.

Coniglio is *en elite. Imo Coniglio could lead a midfield and be elite, while Kelly would struggle.

Does Kelly with his 'dynamism and goal-threat' provide a better point of difference?

Or would Coniglio concentrating on the grunt/inside work free up Shuey & Yeo to do more damage on the outside?

Congilio would be free as dont need to trade for him so he's a no brainer

And he's the better player

Kelly should be the fall back. If Kelly keeps his form up we the Cats will be asking for our picks for the next 10 years and Simpson's unborn grandchild in a deal.

Went to the Claremont v Sharks game yesterday. Jeremy Sharp played senior football - doesn’t turn 18 until August. The guy started a bit slowly like his team but showed real leadership on field and just got better and better as the game went on and you could see he was starting to believe he was good enough. Got 14 possessions which was pretty reasonable given he spent the first half on the wing and got very little service then after half time went inside and showed he knows how to get the ball and what to do with it. I suspect it took him some time to cope with the pace of the game.

He is a genuine balanced midfielder with a better inside game but enough pace and game awareness for an outside game. I’d hoped he would be around at a late first round pick but more of that delivery at senior WAFL and he will rise up the rankings.

Went to the Claremont v Sharks game yesterday. Jeremy Sharp played senior football - doesn’t turn 18 until August. The guy started a bit slowly like his team but showed real leadership on field and just got better and better as the game went on and you could see he was starting to believe he was good enough. Got 14 possessions which was pretty reasonable given he spent the first half on the wing and got very little service then after half time went inside and showed he knows how to get the ball and what to do with it. I suspect it took him some time to cope with the pace of the game.

He is a genuine balanced midfielder with a better inside game but enough pace and game awareness for an outside game. I’d hoped he would be around at a late first round pick but more of that delivery at senior WAFL and he will rise up the rankings.

Sharp really stood out to me at the u18`s for WA last year ..Was very impressive and made the AA TEAM as a under ager ..

I would be stoked if he got to WCE this year but may be a top 10 selection come draft time ..

Kelly would be better in terms of games played basically he`s just played the one season as a AFL player kicking 24 goals as a mid and polling 14 Brownlow votes as a 1st year player ..

But Coniglio would be the logical choice though as he the runs on the board and is very polished now with strong leadership material ..

I am Coniglio fan - have been since he played in the 2010 GF as a 16 year old.

Coniglio can okay inside and forward very well. The Giants have used him predominantly in the guts playing inside and he can also plays a more accountable inside role where he is fine to stop the opposition mids.

I can see Cigs feeding Yeo and Shuey as they leave the stoppage.

Kelly vs Coniglio should be $500k and a late first round pick vs $8-900k and a potential matched FA bid.

If the asking prices are the same then it's Coniglio every day of the week.
not sure we will get Cogs without offering up a first rounder. He’s a restricted FA and I’d expect GWS to be able to match our offer. They may not be able to match a Freo or desperate Norf offer.

Should Jack Martin also be on our shopping list?

I don't have an opinion either way but would be interested in the thoughts of others. It seems as if our list management has made quantum leaps forward under Rawlings stewardship and we now 'cherry pick' players who fill a need rather than doing a Norfs or Dockers and cast nets chasing anyone and everyone just to grab a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should Jack Martin also be on our shopping list?

I don't have an opinion either way but would be interested in the thoughts of others. It seems as if our list management has made quantum leaps forward under Rawlings stewardship and we now 'cherry pick' players who fill a need rather than doing a Norfs or Dockers and cast nets chasing anyone and everyone just to grab a player.

Genuine gun talent but Gold Coast would ask for an outrageous amount (justifiably) and we could never satisfy them. No signs that he's homesick or anything either. Better off making a big move for Coniglio as he's RFA.

AsterixTheGaul good summation of Sharp.
Was at Claremont too yesterday and was impressed with his second half , he certainly didn’t shy away from what was a physical contest .
East Fremantle looked pretty crappy skills wise and Sharp was , as far as skills go , one of The Gummy’s best, actually he was their best.

Would be a great get for us however I don’t see him lasting to pick 18 .

That said our list is that well balanced and our depth in most spots is deeper than it’s been for a long time .
Consequently I wouldn’t be adverse to trading up to an earlier pick in the first round and be more specific and target a player .
A first and two seconds plus next years first would give us plenty of draft capital to work ourselves into a top 10 position come the 2019 draft.

As far as the Kelly V Coniglio debate , well for me Conigs by the length of the Flemington Straight.

Kelly is icing , Conigs is cake .

Don’t get me wrong Kelly would walk into our starting 22...... it’s just that I like Conigs much more and see him offering us more of what we need .

2020 - Threepeat

FB Hurn Barrass Duggan
HB Jetta McGovern Sheppard
C Gaff Redden Kelly
HF Rioli Darling Cripps
FF Allen Kennedy Ryan
R Naitanui Shuey Yeo

I Vardy Sheed Cole Hutchings

Depth: Hickey Venables Ah Chee Rotham Petch Masten Brander Nelson Schofield

Not really what we need.

Martin is a match winning utility who could play any position bar ruck and full back.

He wouldnt cost in trade terms as much as Kelly or Cogs.

But he would be a great to get as opposed to must have.

We have so much depth ATM we really dont need to desperately seek trades but if a quality player wants in we obviously look at what we can do.

Martin is a match winning utility who could play any position bar ruck and full back.

We have so much depth ATM we really dont need to desperately seek trades but if a quality player wants in we obviously look at what we can do.
He'll cost plenty in a trade and shouldn't be a priority.

Our depth is good but does not have outstanding players banging on the door for selection..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He'll cost plenty in a trade and shouldn't be a priority.

Do we have a priority at all?

It comes down to who is interested / asking to come to us.

If Cogs and T Kelly stay where they are and Martin wants to come in you wouldn't say no thanks we're all good.

Especially when we have two firsts and three 2nd rounders to play with over 2019 and 2020 drafts.

I wouldn't begrudge paying a late 1st and a late 2nd or Martin. That may be more than some on here would want but come on we've done pretty well trading with them recently so slight overs isn't the end of the world.

Jack Martin has had a pretty awesome start to the year. Looking more physical than he has in the past. But his scope to improve is still massive. No doubt he's going to keep getting more consistent with age.

He would be a star if he came over here. Working within a better team & more established players would help to bring out the best in him.

I'd be so stoked to see us sell out of the next two drafts entirely to pick up two of Coniglio / Kelly / Martin. Probably not gunna happen unless we give something else up though (surely no way we could afford an offer for Conig that GWS don't match). But if Rawlings can get a heist like that, pretty much ascends to god-tier list management levels.

In any case, hard to see us getting too involved in any top draft selections any time soon.

Jack Martin has had a pretty awesome start to the year. Looking more physical than he has in the past. But his scope to improve is still massive. No doubt he's going to keep getting more consistent with age.

He would be a star if he came over here. Working within a better team & more established players would help to bring out the best in him.

I'd be so stoked to see us sell out of the next two drafts entirely to pick up two of Coniglio / Kelly / Martin. Probably not gunna happen unless we give something else up though (surely no way we could afford an offer for Conig that GWS don't match). But if Rawlings can get a heist like that, pretty much ascends to god-tier list management levels.

In any case, hard to see us getting too involved in any top draft selections any time soon.

Jetta may only have this season and next before retirement and I would be my house on it a coaching mentoring role at the Eagles.

In a couple of years time Jetta could be coachin, mentoring and supporting;

Martin - 26
Ryan - 25
Rioli - 25
Watson - 24
Cameron - 20

Thats a skillful group.

Plus the next generation kids and any other indigenous draftee's in any of the teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back