Opinion Pass mark 2019 Finals

Pass mark for finals 2019

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not what you think or hope will happen.

But what is your pass mark?

Is it whatever it was at the start of the season? Has the team already succeeded this year given your expectations at the start of the year?

Perhaps your expectations were low but now given the position we are in you have higher expectations.

Vote in the poll.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Not what you think or hope will happen.

But what is your pass mark?

Is it whatever it was at the start of the season? Has the team already succeeded this year given your expectations at the start of the year?

Perhaps your expectations were low but now given the position we are in you have higher expectations.

Vote in the poll.

It's a bit of a cheat, but I'd fall into the category of the bolded; I certainly didn't expect us to finish top 4 this year (let alone on top); now that we have over-achieved (on my expectations anyway) then I think we need to at least make a Prelim.

Prelim for me.....I have said all season that Scott is the best man for the job....but if we go out in straight sets, he probably should consider his position.

This is a big final series for the GFC.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It's a bit of a cheat, but I'd fall into the category of the bolded; I certainly didn't expect us to finish top 4 this year (let alone on top); now that we have over-achieved (on my expectations anyway) then I think we need to at least make a Prelim.

Yeah, Prelim at the very least. I actually think we'll beat Collingwood so that would land us in a Prelim straight away. Of course I'm hoping for a flag but that dang lid is still on tighter than a gnat's chuff.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Of course it would. Even if you predicted the side would not finish in the eight, you're not going to now declare the season a success if the side bombs out in straight sets. They finished 1st ffs.

Of course it would. Even if you predicted the side would not finish in the eight, you're not going to now declare the season a success if the side bombs out in straight sets. They finished 1st ffs.
Look forward to your vote in the poll.

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
Grand Final. This side is capable of playing top-class football and has rightly finished on top of the ladder. No side has gone 11-1 and not made the Grand Final. I know a lot has happened since the bye, but I am holding onto the belief that the club has lined up all their ducks in a row for a proper tilt at the big time.

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I had no expectations for this year and have been genuinely surprised how well we've done. Having said that, now that we've been on top of the ladder for all but two weeks, the expectations are high.

I've gonna say GF, but obviously if it's a gutsy, gut-wrenching loss in a prelim I'll accept that.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Bare minimum is a four quarter, competitive prelim showing.

Expectation is a grand final berth.

Hope is for a premiership.

We enter this finals series with zero excuses. A fit, healthy list. Having addressed most of our weaknesses of recent seasons. A list of A graders far deeper than the ‘Dangerwood’ of previous years. The league’s best defence and a vastly improved forward line.

There is no reason why this cannot be our year.

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I'll say Grand Final.

1st place at the end of H&A means you need to be making the Grand Final to get a pass. Particularly in the context of years of finals underperformance. I remember 2016 and 2017 all too well to think that only making a Preliminary Final after finishing top two will feel like a pass in any way whatsoever.

So yeah...minimum expectation is making the GF imo.

Nov 30, 2000
No longer in a premiership drought
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LUFC/MSRLC/MVFC
Didn't think we'd finish top 4 let alone finish as minor premiers.

But now that we did, a PF has to be the minimum. The list appears very healthy and has shown signs of form late after a muddling second half to the season (which could be explained with a variety of possible reasons). The team appears to be better balanced than past years and the window of opportunity to win a flag with this group could quite easily close after this season, so if they want to strike it has to be now and they won't have a better chance than this year.

But if there's another finals capitulation, there needs to be big changes, in particular to the football department.

Last edited:

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Straight sets losing by a point and a point? Both in extra time?
_1_-_JT_Yes.gif

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
A GF appearance would mean that a min ..we win two finals... that a tick in my book...but having said that ..no one wants to get to a GF and lose... you get there and it changes to winning it is a tick. Probably means its hard to please me I guess.

Getting done in a good PF etc.. is a nightmare result for mine...
probably 2 losses and and one win... and delusion train is still on the tracks stopping all stations .. Toot Toot all aboard for more Pnp trading..

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
A GF appearance would mean that a min ..we win two finals... that a tick in my book...but having said that ..no one wants to get to a GF and lose... you get there and it changes to winning it is a tick. Probably means its hard to please me I guess.

Getting done in a good PF etc.. is a nightmare result for mine...
probably 2 losses and and one win... and delusion train is still on the tracks stopping all stations .. Toot Toot all aboard for more Pnp trading..

This is why 2009 remains the best GF result in my Geelong-supportin' lifetime - we played an arguably better and inarguably McLelland-winning St Kilda side who had toppled us in a much-hyped H&A game that very season.
I can't think of another Geelong outfit that exceeded expectations to that extent in my experience.

This 2019 unit has an opportunity to strike and surely Chris Scott and the MC and the whole club knows exactly what pitfalls to avoid this year.

A home final in Geelong might have been nice, but the reality is we've put ourselves in as healthy a position as we are capable of securing in this current era - Dangerfield, Kelly, Stewart - there is no guarantee that these guys will get a better opportunity at a flag during their careers than right here in 2019.

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Bare minimum is a four quarter, competitive prelim showing.

Expectation is a grand final berth.

Hope is for a premiership.

We enter this finals series with zero excuses. A fit, healthy list. Having addressed most of our weaknesses of recent seasons. A list of A graders far deeper than the ‘Dangerwood’ of previous years. The league’s best defence and a vastly improved forward line.

There is no reason why this cannot be our year.

Good post.

The only variable you left out was the coaching... his finals record since 2011 is putrid!

Jimmy Yamazaki

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
GF for me. Finished on top of the ladder with the highest % in the league and had a 3 and a half-game buffer at one point. We've known we'll play finals from the halfway mark so surely we started some planning accordingly?

We have 2 players in contention for the Brownlow (Can't think of any other team with this off the top of my head) and 4 x AA players. (equal first with WCE)
On top of that, Pies for all intents and purposes really should have finished 5th. So, in theory, should be the easiest matchup for us in the top 4 (although we're probably the same for them) If Tigers win week 1 we could end up facing Lions in the PF, an interstate side I think will struggle at the G.

The best chance we've had since 2013. No excuses for mine to not make the GF. Our best is good enough, but can we actually play it at the right time?

Back