Pass mark for finals 2019

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
A lot of media articles pointing out why we are no good this year and have to beat the statistical odds just to make it to a grand final or win a premiership.

Meanwhile, tigers, Pies and bulldogs are being talked up like no other. It’s very interesting.

Written off already because of records of other teams (including previous versions of the GFC), some going back to the 1920s.

Strange and quite typical.

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
A lot of media articles pointing out why we are no good this year and have to beat the statistical odds just to make it to a grand final or win a premiership.

Meanwhile, tigers, Pies and bulldogs are being talked up like no other. It’s very interesting.

Written off already because of records of other teams (including previous versions of the GFC), some going back to the 1920s.

Memberships and emotion = Tiggers/Colliewobbles and Doggies. Clickbait. Everyone is sick of us.

A lot of the so called experts are saying that the loser of this weeks game will go out in straight sets - having to back up playing the Eagles in Perth (in all probability).

So how real is a pass mark in the finals? Unless your absolute expectation is that we are currently the best team, the variant of who you play and where you play changes everything. Would I expect to beat the Eagles in Perth? Maybe, but not confident. Would I expect to beat Essendon at the G? Absolutely.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
A lot of the so called experts are saying that the loser of this weeks game will go out in straight sets - having to back up playing the Eagles in Perth (in all probability).

So how real is a pass mark in the finals? Unless your absolute expectation is that we are currently the best team, the variant of who you play and where you play changes everything. Would I expect to beat the Eagles in Perth? Maybe, but not confident. Would I expect to beat Essendon at the G? Absolutely.
Loser Geelong v Collingwood plays MCG

Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
After low expectations to start the year (mainly due to the aging stars and unknown kids), the team has done very well. But anything less than a Grand Final will sadden the heart.

However, I'm still sick to the fact that a win this week will mean yet another week off heading into a pre-lim. Two games of footy in just under a month is a friggin' disaster after smashing about for 23 weeks of a season. For a game we all love, the AFL really does do all it can to spoil it every bloody time.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Certainly exceeded my expectations,and hoping I'm wrong again, a slim chance to upset the Pies but to many holes in the side to go further,so to sum up one finals win a pass for me with this group.

Upset the Pies?

We are favourites with the bookies and majority of experts.

We’ve won 3 in a row against them.

We’re closer to full strength than they are.

We’ve been higher than them on the ladder all season.

Collingwood may well win on Friday night, but if we win, it sure won’t be considered an upset.

Those headlines sell papers. A "Geelong reasonable shot at premiership without being favourite" article could have been written about us in maybe 6 of our seasons since 2011. The only fresh take they can cone up with is that we're no chance.

For me, we need to make the Grand Final. Anything can happen on Grand Final day (as we've seen before: like how many times does Sheed kick that goal out of 100) so winning the game itself isn't the pass mark for me. So while winning the game would be incredible, making it is where I'd like us to be

As others have said, losing a PF but actually being competitive (and not eight goals down at QT) would be the bare minimum. Anything less is a disaster. We're in our best position to go all the way since 2013, everything is all there to go. We just need to make the most of the opportunity

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Shoot me if you like, but I don't do "pass" marks.
I just follow the team, hope for the best and enjoy the ride.
I'll be disappointed if we serve up a poor finals performance.
But pass or fail?
I'll leave that up to you.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Has to be GF day.

I agree that no one had us making it even this fair into the season at the start of the year, but the competition is weak (like 2013, 2016-2018).
We need to capitalise on the opportunity in front of us. Should be at least capable of winning the Prelim from here, especially considering it'll be Brisbane, Richmond or Bulldogs at the G (all teams we can cover there).

xtatik222k

Club Legend
May 24, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Given the last decade of finals performances for this team, I actually see this finals series as being more than just a pass or fail.
Personally, I think this finals series will coming to define this current team and era more than any other since 2011. The team will probably decline next season (Kelly gone, Danger, Selwood, Hawkins and Ablett will be on the decline), though it's pretty easy to forecast a decline when you finish atop the ladder, isn't it?
This team has failed to meet expectations now for a long time. We've seen comprehensive and clever victories in the Home and Away season, and most coaches describe Scott as the hardest to coach against. We've seen records broken, odds defied and unexpected heroes like Blicavs, Stewart, Esava, Miers etc all rise to prominence. However, what we haven't seen, is the team doing what it's supposed to do when the blowtorth is on them in a big pressure final. Year after year we've seen capitulation again and again, and a failing to realise potential. It means one of two things: Either we failed to reach our potential, or the perceived potential was an illusion.
Personally, I don't think it was an illusion. But that makes the situation more difficult for us, because maybe this team will only ever be a 'could've been.' As I've gotten older, I've come to realise in life there really are two kinds of people: Those who simply do what's required and those who don't.
Given the season we've had, we should make the Grand Final. That is an 'expectations met' for me. We've beaten all the teams that matter this season. We know what's required, but whether we're willing to do it in a final remains to be seen. If I had to put money on it, I'd guess we're going to make a Prelim. If we make the GF, I think we'll win it.

RogersResults

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Wagga Wagga
Memberships and emotion = Tiggers/Colliewobbles and Doggies. Clickbait. Everyone is sick of us.
"A lot of media articles pointing out why we are no good this year and have to beat the statistical odds just to make it to a grand final or win a premiership. "

E.G.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09...arriers-geelong-must-overcome-to-win-the-flag

"Geelong claimed an obscure League record this season, enduring the most home and away losses while on top of the ladder.

It's only the second time a team has lost at least five games when on top of the ladder. The other was Fremantle in 2015."

Not quite:

In 1904, eventual Premiers, Fitzroy lost 5 times while on top of the ladder in a 17 match season before the finals.
In 1943, eventual Runners-up, Essendon lost 5 times while on top of the ladder in a 16 match season before the finals.

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
"A lot of media articles pointing out why we are no good this year and have to beat the statistical odds just to make it to a grand final or win a premiership. "

E.G.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09...arriers-geelong-must-overcome-to-win-the-flag

"Geelong claimed an obscure League record this season, enduring the most home and away losses while on top of the ladder.

It's only the second time a team has lost at least five games when on top of the ladder. The other was Fremantle in 2015."

Not quite:

In 1904, eventual Premiers, Fitzroy lost 5 times while on top of the ladder in a 17 match season before the finals.
In 1943, eventual Runners-up, Essendon lost 5 times while on top of the ladder in a 16 match season before the finals.

Don't think Fremantle were in the league in 1904 and 1943. So perhaps they could have added 'in the AFL era'.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Given some of the insipid finals efforts in recent years, my 'pass mark' is all about effort and intensity around the ball.

So, if we win contested possessions in each game we play from here, I'll be satisfied with that.

And, given the way we've played our footy in 2019, that will also mean we're hoisting the cup on the last Saturday of this month.

Get it done, Cats!

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Given the last decade of finals performances for this team, I actually see this finals series as being more than just a pass or fail.
Personally, I think this finals series will coming to define this current team and era more than any other since 2011. The team will probably decline next season (Kelly gone, Danger, Selwood, Hawkins and Ablett will be on the decline), though it's pretty easy to forecast a decline when you finish atop the ladder, isn't it?
This team has failed to meet expectations now for a long time. We've seen comprehensive and clever victories in the Home and Away season, and most coaches describe Scott as the hardest to coach against. We've seen records broken, odds defied and unexpected heroes like Blicavs, Stewart, Esava, Miers etc all rise to prominence. However, what we haven't seen, is the team doing what it's supposed to do when the blowtorth is on them in a big pressure final. Year after year we've seen capitulation again and again, and a failing to realise potential. It means one of two things: Either we failed to reach our potential, or the perceived potential was an illusion.
Personally, I don't think it was an illusion. But that makes the situation more difficult for us, because maybe this team will only ever be a 'could've been.' As I've gotten older, I've come to realise in life there really are two kinds of people: Those who simply do what's required and those who don't.
Given the season we've had, we should make the Grand Final. That is an 'expectations met' for me. We've beaten all the teams that matter this season. We know what's required, but whether we're willing to do it in a final remains to be seen. If I had to put money on it, I'd guess we're going to make a Prelim. If we make the GF, I think we'll win it.
Yes agreed

Bizarrely reckon I’ll be more confident of winning the GF compared to winning a prelim

FWIW I’m confident we can win on Friday night

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
That the players still remember to enjoy themselves while they're out there.

PhilX

Debutant
May 6, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
I have never put money on a sporting event. But, after losing to Fremantle, I went and put $50 on the Cats to win the Grand Final. I remain confident we can do it.

In general, I'm of the opinion that, if a team makes a Prelim and puts in a good showing, the season is a success; the team has done everything they can to put themselves into a position to succeed. Do that regularly, and you're going to be making and winning GFs. 2008 was definitely an exception to that rule, however. The Cats fully bought in to the "foregone conclusion" narrative, along with everyone else except the Hawthorn Football Club, and you can't win a Grand Final if you forget that you actually have to win it.

That also means I rate 2013 as our last truly high quality season.

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
GF has to be be the pass mark. WE finished on Top even though our post bye efforts were poor. If we allow for the possible fact that our squad was "managed" post bye withallthat that could be then a strong finals campaign is indicated. Scott and his coaching staff are under the microscope. GF is a pass because once you make it it is an on the day type of game ...funny things can happen. If our side is fit we SHOULD make the GF no excuses.

Last edited:
Playing a minimum of 2 finals, need to win one and make the prelim, I think after that the season is too even to be angry with a prelim or Grand Final loss.

Cattery

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Has to be a GF appearance IMO, get over the Pies Friday night (50/50 chance at worst) then a strong possibility of playing Brisbane in the PF, if we can't make it through under those circumstances then it's just another wasted opportunity (possibly our last with this squad)

Having said all that though, our recent finals record doesn't fill me with confidence, we bomb out again and it's the last time I'll get sucked into thinking we're a chance, no matter where we finish on the ladder.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
In terms of the original post a GF is a pass mark for me.
However what I'm hoping for is 3 from 3 which will not only give us a Flag but increase our Finals record to 9 wins and 9 losses under CS. ;)

Back