Opinion Pass mark 2019 Finals

Pass mark for finals 2019

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I had us as 6-8 at the start of the year.

So a competitive PF is a fair round up at this point.

Id luv to see us go all the way - and our best on the day can do it. We've beaten them all this year bar Brisbane I think.

But can we get there?!? Who knows.

If we don't we had better not die wondering. WE need to give it our all. Getting beaten by a better tean in the day I can cope with. Beating ourselves at selection or by mailing it in I cannot.

Just make the effort 110% and ill be ok with that.

GO Catters

TomsBulgingDisc

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2013
Lumbar
AFL Club
Geelong
For me it's a flag or a broom.

Excluding some kind of catastrophic injury scenario in any of the matches, we should be capable of beating any of the other contendors this year.

To accept a prelim or gf appearance as pass, gives way to wallpapering some systemic issues that need to be addressed. We can't continue to rock up to finals and not get the job done without some questions being asked. I don't think they'll get asked if members and supporters continue to settle for minor premierships and appearances.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong

Excluding some kind of catastrophic injury scenario in any of the matches, we should be capable of beating any of the other contendors this year.

To accept a prelim or gf appearance as pass, gives way to wallpapering some systemic issues that need to be addressed. We can't continue to rock up to finals and not get the job done without some questions being asked. I don't think they'll get asked if members and supporters continue to settle for minor premierships and appearances.
Tough love there!
Good luck with your broom....

close loss in a prelim (having been competitive throughout not a late charge and losing by a goal or 2)

anything less is an embarrassment

just making a prelim isn't good enough, thats just winning 1 final out of 2
or 2 out of 3.

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
I'm so torn on all fronts of this question!!!!

Regardless of finals, I will give the season a pass. Lot's has worked Miers, Clark, Atkins, Rata, Parfitt, M.O.C, Henry, Constable, Narkle.

4 all Australians headlined by Tim Kelly, Tom Stewart ( back to back ), Tomahawk, Danger.

Ablett & Blicavs in conversation. Mitch Duncan stepped up

Rohan, Dalhaus ended great pickups

Finished minor premiers

It's almost unfortunate the narration of success or failure lies around what happens in finals. Did Rich, Coll, GWS get a good run throughout the season with injuries ? Was Geelongs ladder position inflated? Which was the real geelong first half or second half of season?

We are about to find out all those questions in the coming weeks....

It's really tough I do think Geelong are a legitimate chance to win Vs Collingwood but I also respect this was a team that made a GF last year so they are very talented. This week it's such a close game im optimistic this team can play well. I feel like if we can't get over the pies and next week got knocked over by a west coast it's pretty unlucky to play premiers and last year's grand finalist from 1st. Would that necessarily mean failure it's a hard question to answer I suppose the manner in which those games went if you lose both by 30 then yes. If they are both by a kick that's football I can live with that.

It's such a strange feeling this finals series I am completely torn by what happens in round 1 of finals if we can get over the pies and results go in our favour aka Richmond knocking off brisbane. Well the ceiling is GRANDFINAL Brisbane / WB / GWS in a melb Prelim 🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤

But we could also straight sets just as easily due to the quirks in the draw and running into two excellent teams. And that's not a failure in my eyes.

So I can't answer the question lol I have no idea I just want to know if we can best the Pies Week 1. To me this final is everything in 2019 I don't think Cats can get further than a prelim if we lose first up that's my only feeling.

This stupid bye week too much time Degoey, Sidebottoms sack might not of healed wish we played this week. Broken the collingwood game apart 10 times statistically watched both teams last encounter. And I have no idea 50 / 50 game.

We effectively have to be 2-3 goals better than Pies or Tigers to beat them at the G according to degree of difficulty, HGA, etc.
I don't believe we are; I know we have awesome top end talent, but we are also full of B graders.
We have some outstanding individual talent.
But as a TEAM, we seem inferior to Tigers.
Pies' best is better than nearly all the teams' best.
WCE seem to have lost something, but they could cause serious damage in a prelim.

I'm so torn on all fronts of this question!!!!

Regardless of finals, I will give the season a pass. Lot's has worked Miers, Clark, Atkins, Rata, Parfitt, M.O.C, Henry, Constable, Narkle.

4 all Australians headlined by Tim Kelly, Tom Stewart ( back to back ), Tomahawk, Danger.

Ablett & Blicavs in conversation. Mitch Duncan stepped up

Rohan, Dalhaus ended great pickups

Finished minor premiers

It's almost unfortunate the narration of success or failure lies around what happens in finals. Did Rich, Coll, GWS get a good run throughout the season with injuries ? Was Geelongs ladder position inflated? Which was the real geelong first half or second half of season?

We are about to find out all those questions in the coming weeks....

It's really tough I do think Geelong are a legitimate chance to win Vs Collingwood but I also respect this was a team that made a GF last year so they are very talented. This week it's such a close game im optimistic this team can play well. I feel like if we can't get over the pies and next week got knocked over by a west coast it's pretty unlucky to play premiers and last year's grand finalist from 1st. Would that necessarily mean failure it's a hard question to answer I suppose the manner in which those games went if you lose both by 30 then yes. If they are both by a kick that's football I can live with that.

It's such a strange feeling this finals series I am completely torn by what happens in round 1 of finals if we can get over the pies and results go in our favour aka Richmond knocking off brisbane. Well the ceiling is GRANDFINAL Brisbane / WB / GWS in a melb Prelim 🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤

But we could also straight sets just as easily due to the quirks in the draw and running into two excellent teams. And that's not a failure in my eyes.

So I can't answer the question lol I have no idea I just want to know if we can best the Pies Week 1. To me this final is everything in 2019 I don't think Cats can get further than a prelim if we lose first up that's my only feeling.

This stupid bye week too much time Degoey, Sidebottoms sack might not of healed wish we played this week. Broken the collingwood game apart 10 times statistically watched both teams last encounter. And I have no idea 50 / 50 game.
That is an excellent summation. I think we would have had a great advantage without the bye this week- that has now eroded.

RogersResults

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Wagga Wagga
Don't think Fremantle were in the league in 1904 and 1943. So perhaps they could have added 'in the AFL era'.
The same article slagged off Fitzroy regarding their 1916 Premiership (and got the facts wrong) and mentioned Melbourne's 1900 Premiership so they were talking about the League's full history. They just counted wrong.

Note too that official League statistical policy is that the League is one continuous competition from 1897 to the present day with certainly no division from 1990 when the League changed it stationary.

Munich

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
BVB, LVP
A lot of the so called experts are saying that the loser of this weeks game will go out in straight sets - having to back up playing the Eagles in Perth (in all probability).

So how real is a pass mark in the finals? Unless your absolute expectation is that we are currently the best team, the variant of who you play and where you play changes everything. Would I expect to beat the Eagles in Perth? Maybe, but not confident. Would I expect to beat Essendon at the G? Absolutely.

Eh? Cokers only get 1 home final.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
He's had enough time to improve the team and impart his 'brand' of bomb it down the line football.
He's definitely imparted that brand of football. Geelong is no longer the fun team it was to watch before he took over, that's for sure. Let's see if his style will hold up in finals this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
A lot of the so called experts are saying that the loser of this weeks game will go out in straight sets - having to back up playing the Eagles in Perth (in all probability).
West Coast finished 5th, they only get one Perth final and it's this week.

All finals from next week will be at the MCG except for Brisbane's Semi or Prelim (Result dependent). Geelong, Richmond and Pies will all host a MCG final across Weeks 2 + 3.

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
We effectively have to be 2-3 goals better than Pies or Tigers to beat them at the G according to degree of difficulty, HGA, etc.
I don't believe we are; I know we have awesome top end talent, but we are also full of B graders.
We have some outstanding individual talent.
But as a TEAM, we seem inferior to Tigers.
Pies' best is better than nearly all the teams' best.
WCE seem to have lost something, but they could cause serious damage in a prelim.

The old metric won again unfortunately!!

I had us as 6-8 at the start of the year.

So a competitive PF is a fair round up at this point.

Id luv to see us go all the way - and our best on the day can do it. We've beaten them all this year bar Brisbane I think.

But can we get there?!? Who knows.

If we don't we had better not die wondering. WE need to give it our all. Getting beaten by a better tean in the day I can cope with. Beating ourselves at selection or by mailing it in I cannot.

Just make the effort 110% and ill be ok with that.

GO Catters
How do you assess yesterday?
A bit of everything you said there.
We WERE beaten by a BETTER TEAM.
Selection caused some controversy.
Effort was there, 110% not sure. Hawkins and GAJ- the 2 I am most disappointed with, tried, but were harassed and made to look insipid.

Competitive in Grand final. Otherwise Scott should GTFO. He's had enough time to improve the team and impart his 'brand' of bomb it down the line football.
If yesterday had been the GF, you'd have to say we were competitive. No team smashes us. But we are just not up to the standard of the top 4-5 really good teams, in pressure games when it counts.

Effort was there, 110% not sure. Hawkins and GAJ- the 2 I am most disappointed with, tried, but were harassed and made to look insipid.
it was a s**t show.

Stanley out was 1% courageous at best but it was 99% *in stupid.

Too little left to to few and basics not exectured by most. Poor kicking is poor tfooty - and we kicked poorly and they didnt.

That said, I felt the effort was there and the work rate seemed good - but it wasnt enough.

And we were bested by the better team which shits me.

Go Catters

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
We're not physical enough to match it in finals football.
Looking at the Giants we're way off that type of physicality.
How we finished on top is a mystery to me and WC will bring plenty next week.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Scott needs to increase his finals winning percentage this year. That's the pass mark for me.

Couple of ways to do that. Easiest would be to win the QF and PF.
So the 'easy' option is out.

Next is win the next three finals, which I see as fairly unlikely. If we can win the SF and PF but lose the GF, his finals winning percentage will even out. Otherwise, it's looking like 2019 is going to be another hit for his record.

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
You do need your leaders to execute the basics well and set the tone. I agree that these two failed big time at that. J Sel with all of his limitations, did fumble or run over the ball a bit but his commitment could not be questioned - I thought he shaped some contests positively as well.

Taylor was a headless chook early as well. I truly do think morale wise, mentally weak or ill prepared youngsters struggle if they aren't shown the way. It's been a problem for a while, sadly with many of our immortals from 2012 onwards. How much do you blame individuals who had previously been brilliant, as part of their natural aging process, and how much is imparted to the general coach-led management and leadership? It's a very tricky one. All you can say for certain is that the team functions effectively during H&A with a few mishaps; in finals it is 80% mishaps with just the odd dash of effectiveness.

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
So the 'easy' option is out.

Next is win the next three finals, which I see as fairly unlikely. If we can win the SF and PF but lose the GF, his finals winning percentage will even out. Otherwise, it's looking like 2019 is going to be another hit for his record.
Is a GF birth from here a pass mark for you? Or is the damage done? I'm talking a GF that is competitive in this hypothetical, but not necessarily a premiership.

It would mean two strong finals so I would still give it a pass, with the team wasting its lifeline and then bouncing back.

A prelim and even honourable loss to Richmond still won't cut it. Just like blowing the 2013 QF and then doing it the hard way to just fall short of Hawthorn in 2013 didn't cut it.

People thinking a competitive prelim in acceptable. It’s whats wrong with this club right there! If you finished first with the highest % and had 2 prelims , and 3 finals campaigns in the past few years and then get Dahlhaus & Rohan to top up then the very least is a grand final appearance. Collingwood have been average all year and then we would have either GWS or Brisbane at MCG. Should be aiming to win the thing! Stuffed it up yet again!

Back