Past Champions who don't get mentioned enough in the media

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Ashley McIntosh is the one that always comes to mind for me. Over his career, absolutely towelled up every gun full forward he ever played on. Haven't heard his name mentioned in the mainstream media for the better part of 15 years.

Ashley was a darn good player, but was always very media shy. I reckon you would struggle to find a tv interview with him, seemed to disappear when the cameras were around.

He is one of the genuine champion father & son combinations. His old man was a AAA grade player.

Aug 9, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
SF 49ers/Giants, Claremont FC
No one considers Cox “just a Sydney assistant coach”.

Almost everyone recognises him as the most dominant ruckman since at least the 80s

Well the thread is about media mentions, and all I’ve seen or heard about him (in an eagles-saturated WA media market too) over the last few years is seeing him as a swans assistant.

T G M

Senior List
Jul 19, 2018
Caroline Springs
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep hes now playing in one, and is much much worse.

He had one good gold coast season (amongst deliberately sitting out and a few injuries here and there)
He won 4 best and Fairests at Gold Coast. 2 MVPs and would have won another MVP and Brownlow in 2014-was winning everything by a mile until the injury.

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bulls
Didnt we just beat you, where you were soundly smashed in the midfield, which is your best area?
We won Contested possesion by 17, centre clearances by 15 and stoppage clearances by 12. I'd hardly call that "soundly smashed". Our skills were poor around the ground which was partly our fault but also your tackling pressure. 15 points on your home ground is what you should be winning as the team that made the GF last year. I'd be optimistic if we played you there again though.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
He won 4 best and Fairests at Gold Coast. 2 MVPs and would have won another MVP and Brownlow in 2014-was winning everything by a mile until the injury.

Best and fairests at gold coast require you to stand on the field for 20 games.
It was literally him, scrubs and 18 year olds for the first few years.

T G M

Senior List
Jul 19, 2018
Caroline Springs
AFL Club
Geelong
Best and fairests at gold coast require you to stand on the field for 20 games.
It was literally him, scrubs and 18 year olds for the first few years.
14 games last year. He actually played his best footy at the Suns. To be the dominant player in the comp whilst playing in the worst team in the league shows just how good he is.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
14 games last year. He actually played his best footy at the Suns. To be the dominant player in the comp whilst playing in the worst team in the league shows just how good he is.

Debatable but possible.
Doesnt mean guys like Joel Corey and Kelly would've been just as good playing in a bad side.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Debatable but possible.
Doesnt mean guys like Joel Corey and Kelly would've been just as good playing in a bad side.
A lot of those blokes in Geelong and Hawthorns teams would have been Des Headland in different sides no doubt.

You need those guys though

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Wayne Schwass - people talk about Archer and Carey during our 90’s period but not many mention Schwass. Dual b n f and an absolute gun. Good bloke off field too.
His first 3 games for Sydney:
26 disposals 3 goals
26 disposals 1 goal
32 disposals 5 goals (Swans win over Eagles in WA) - 27 kicks, 4 tackles, 6 I50s and a hit-out.

Late the next season he had a 30 disposal 4 goal game in a belting of the Crows.

Last edited:
Is Aker anywhere in the media these days? For a guy who seemed to love it I don't see or hear any of him.

Living in Albury. Has been kicked out of three golf clubs there because of cheating and confrontations with other members.

Appears he’s a genuine spanner

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Moving to the Swans in the 90s was like sailing off into the sunset for most players.

Paul Williams played 300, Stuart Maxfield 289, Andrew Schauble 150. These guys faded from the public eye after leaving Melbourne.
I grew up in NSW so I saw these guys every week once they moved to Sydney. Melbourne is only 1 city among a couple in the AFL after all. Hell, Maxfield played 200 games for the Swans, more than twice his 89 for the Tiges. Some of the trade-ins I'd barely seen before their move to Sydney.

Last edited:
Moving to the Swans in the 90s was like sailing off into the sunset for most players.

Paul Williams played 300, Stuart Maxfield 289, Andrew Schauble 150. These guys faded from the public eye after leaving Melbourne.
Tony Lockett pretty much did nothing up there too :p

Ian Stewart
A Triple Brownlow Medallist and multiple Premiership player.
No player currently alive has done that besides him.
He is therefore unique.

ps only Dick Reynolds matches his record.
No Brownlow medallist looks better in a frock than Ian.

Back