Past Champions who don't get mentioned enough in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends if they were playing against Geelong's '09 backline, '07 midfield and '92 forward line. ;)

We've already beaten one of those. 2007 fell short in the semi and 2009, let's say we were uhh running errands that day.

I'll give you 22 players and 22 blanks. Only rule is you have to pick players in their dominant position from the year. I.e. I've put McIntosh in the back 6 because he was but not Peter Matera because he wasn't. I can't just put Shuey or Yeo at HF because they are better players than Cripps or Ryan etc. Bench any 4 left over, max 2 from any one side. I've just gone for 4 iconic moments. ;)

B: McIntosh Brennan Waterman
F:
HB: Worsfold Jakovich McKenna
HF:
C: Embley Cousins Braun
C:
HF: LeCras Darling Rioli
HB:
FF: Cripps Kennedy Ryan
FB:
Foll: Cox Judd Kerr
Foll:

IC: Wilson Matera Hunter Sheed
IC:

Gary Dempsey.

329 games
7 x B&F
1 x Brownlow, 1 x 2nd place, 13 TIMES in top 10! 2nd most all-time brownlow votes (adjusted)
More marks per game than any other player (2nd in total marks juuuust behind Nick Riewoldt)
5th all time hitouts
Averaged more touches per game than Dean Cox!

I have only seen highlights and stats. I feel like one else under 40 has even heard of him, let alone appreciate how good he was.

Adelaide - Tyson Edwards
Brisbane - Simon Black
Carlton - Andrew McKay
Collingwood - James Clement
Essendon - Matthew Lloyd / Jason Johnson
Fremantle - Shane Parker
Geelong - Hocking / Riccardi
Gold Coast - to early
GWS - to early
Hawthorn - Paul Salmon / Chris Langford
Melbourne - Farmer / Flower / Yze
North - Adam Simpson
Port - Josh Francou
Richmond - Kevin Sheedy
St Kilda - Nathan Burke
Sydney - Mark Bayes / Jude Bolton
West Coast - Drew Banfield
Western Bulldogs - Rohan Smith

We've already beaten one of those. 2007 fell short in the semi and 2009, let's say we were uhh running errands that day.

I'll give you 22 players and 22 blanks. Only rule is you have to pick players in their dominant position from the year. I.e. I've put McIntosh in the back 6 because he was but not Peter Matera because he wasn't. I can't just put Shuey or Yeo at HF because they are better players than Cripps or Ryan etc. Bench any 4 left over, max 2 from any one side. I've just gone for 4 iconic moments. ;)

B: McIntosh Brennan Waterman
F: Scott Brownless Brown
HB: Worsfold Jakovich McKenna
HF: Ablett snr Stoneham Riccardi
C: Embley Cousins Braun
C: Selwood Ling Corey
HF: LeCras Darling Rioli
HB: Milburn Taylor Enright
FF: Cripps Kennedy Ryan
FB: Harley Scarlett J.Kelly
Foll: Cox Judd Kerr
Foll: Ottens Bartel Ablett jnr

IC: Wilson Matera Hunter Sheed
IC: Chapman Bairstow Barnes Wojcinski

Teams as above. Would be a cracking match if it were to eventuate.

Paul Brown. Was our 4th highest goal kicker back in 1992 as a medium sized forward.

Ah. Never heard of him, didn't play in the 1992 GF.

Some of those one on one match ups are awesome. Even better that some of them actually happened. Scarlett vs Kennedy at their peaks would have been interesting. Both mobile, good above the head and strong.

Chris Landford gets forgotten, in conversations about great full backs.

He was the best fullback of the 1980's, comfortably. Silvagni lives more in the memory as he played in the 1990s.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was the best fullback on the 1980's, comfortably. Silvagni lives more in the memory as he played in the 1990s.

Was randomly watching a YouTube of Ablett sr on the footy show in 93 saying Langford was the best full back in the comp ahead of Silvangi

Was an absolute gun

Tredrea

When he was on and in a purple patch, was just a wrecking ball of carnage, monstrous all conquering keep position player. And when he was on, he had the swagger.

He stood out in that era, along with Robert Harvey (who also had another elite trait, evasion/lateral movement).

Nowadays, every side would have 6-10 players capable of similar endurance. Crawf wouldn't stand out. Harvey still would.

Nah dude. Harvey would struggle in todays footy. His main strength was his ability to keep running eventhough he looked spent. That extra tank and ability to run opponents off his feet won him the brownlow. Only won 1 legitimately. The other one was Chris Grant's brownlow. With the rotations they are today he wouldnt be able to run opponents off. And with his non penetrating loopy kicks, lousy tackle numbers and inability to impact on the scoreboard he would just be a plodder now. Like a Masten, Mayne, Miles standard of player.
Crawf, bucks, voss, Hird all would impact today far more than he would. Ppl get caught up in the whole good bloke narrative. He was a level below those 4 guys(all winners) then and if playing now hed be even lower.

Mil Hanna, loved that baldy. Never hear anything about him anymore.

Nick Davis and Darren Cresswell. Champs.

He was the best fullback on the 1980's, comfortably. Silvagni lives more in the memory as he played in the 1990s.
Agree. Langford grossly underrated. People talk about the typical group in Rance, Scarlett, Silvagni. Langford was fair and square better than all 3. Personally if I had to put them in order;

Langford
Scarlett
Silvagni

Centuries (plus a few others)

Rance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back