Opinion Past Collingwood players who could have been anything

Remove this Banner Ad

pablo disco bar

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Which player from the past could of been anything but due to whatever reason never made it.
Off the top of my head some names.
Sean rusling
Heath Sheppard.
Lee Walker
Danny roach
Not the past but Matthew scharenberg.
Nathan Freeman
Brad dick

Who can you not believe did not have the AFL career they were destined for

Even though he had a good career, Rene Kink for mine, had all the skills, good mark, good at ground level, great kick on both sides, strength and reasonably quick.
Should have been one of the greats, legend, but apparently was never quite motivated to be better than he was.

Was a pick 7 .

Who was drafted after him?
Who did we miss out on?

Good Players Drafted after him:

- Darran Glass
- Brad Green
- Joel Cory
- Bob Murphy

Draft Here:

Being a Top 10 Pick back then did not alway's equal Prostpect being a Star or even a Descent Player

People will laugh... but I was a Kyle Martin fan. Was a goal scoring, high impact ball magnet in the VFL... but the coaches weren’t happy with his endurance... if I recall correctly.

The stupidly conceived and ill thought through sub rule really hurt a few coming through at that time like Martin and Ben Kennedy. Hard to make an impact when only playing 20% game time and often not in their natural position.

Last edited:
Russell Johnston.
Came to Collingwood as a 20 year old ruckman from Casterton in Western Victoria in 1980.
He played 8 games in his first and only season, being behind Peter Moore, Stuart Atkin and Chris Perry for a ruck position.
He was dropped off our list at the end of 1980 and moved to Port Adelaide in S.A. for 1981.
Johnston then played 207 games for Port Adelaide, including 3 flags and a Jack Oatey medal (best in Grand Final) and a Port BnF.
He was named first ruck in Port Adelaide's Greatest Team 1870-2000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a pick 7 .

Who was drafted after him?
Who did we miss out on?

The problem with Roach is that we traded pick 3 and Clinton King to Richmond for pick 7 and Steve McKee. So if we're being harsh we could have kept pick 3 and got Pavlich (Freo used pick 4). Instead we got a serviceable ruckman and a 1 game, 0 disposal Roach.

The only consolation is that Richmond used pick 3 on Aaron Fiora, so it could have been worse.

People will laugh... but I was a Kyle Martin fan. Was a goal scoring, high impact ball magnet in the VFL... but the coaches weren’t happy with his endurance... if I recall correctly.

The stupidly conceived and ill thought through sub rule really hurt a few coming through at that time like Martin and Ben Kennedy. Hard to make an impact when only playing 20% game time and often not in their natural position.

Forgot about him .
Totally agree .

Before my time but mark orval?

Could probs throw broomhead in this category also

There wa a player by the surname Orval, played full forward in a couple games, kicked 4 goals in one game, then got injured to the point that he had to retire, he was a good one
Yeah as I got into footy as a young fella I remember asking about him.

I mentioned him just before I read this .

Poor bastard is now angry dad ..

For those who know of it

Yeah as I got into footy as a young fella I remember asking about him.

I mentioned him just before I read this .

Poor bastard is now angry dad ..

For those who know of it

Ha ha Angry Dad....

Delivers a great spray. Club should hire him on standby. Sleepy Collingwood could have done with a bake from him at half time in last years prelim. Probably would’ve won us the game

Yes Tom Davidson could of been anything.

I also liked jon ballantyne we got him from the dogs and turned him into a full back.
Looked promising and did his knee.

2 others I have thought of ben Wilson and troy lehmann
Yeah a lot of potential lost to injuries

Wilson I thought was the wrong pick - but sometimes people’s attitudes change

Lehmann good too but was great to get Bucks in return (I think he was part of the trade)

There wa a player by the surname Orval, played full forward in a couple games, kicked 4 goals in one game, then got injured to the point that he had to retire, he was a good one
Now his kids make a living off of his once-funny-in-2015 angry reactions to staged pranks

Wasn't he the player that headbutted the umpire in the VFL?

Not proud that he's actually a distant relative of mine

Apparently was kicking big bags in the 2s and really could have been anything lol.

My father's side (Bourke)
My grandfather claims that he's a cousin. I definitely see the resemblance in them. Similar facial features. Glad they don't share the same rage.

They weren't proud either...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-13-17-12-50-57_7a4090f09f6554852d748ee9fd6f40d3.png
    Screenshot_2020-06-13-17-12-50-57_7a4090f09f6554852d748ee9fd6f40d3.png
    929.6 KB · Views: 84

Remove this Banner Ad

Back