Traded #6: Angus Monfries - Insert stock Boo-urns joke here - Retired 10/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Angus Monfries was a great servant of this club.

Man showed up every week and gave his all.

He might not be an Essendon player anymore, but he still deserves our respect.

We don't have to show any respect to this racist

Have a look at the numbers, take meaningless "pressure" acts for what they are, and then tell how we are anything but weaker for having Kommer in place of Monfries (I know that it is really Goddard vs Monfries due to salary cap pressure but for the sake of the comparison).

In you're minds you look at Kommer and because he looks like a mangy dog, you get all excited about him being hard and tough and courageous and assume that he is effective defensively. In the "thought" process you also look at Monfries and see that he looks like a member of a boy band and so you'll prattle on about him being soft and only in it for the cheap goals despite the fact that he was a disciplined defensive forward who continually sacrificed parts of his game for the good of the team and was every bit as courageous as the tough guys you love.

Kommer has a very, very long way to go before he is at the level Monfries played.

Have a look at the numbers, take meaningless "pressure" acts for what they are, and then tell how we are anything but weaker for having Kommer in place of Monfries (I know that it is really Goddard vs Monfries due to salary cap pressure but for the sake of the comparison).

In you're minds you look at Kommer and because he looks like a mangy dog, you get all excited about him being hard and tough and courageous and assume that he is effective defensively. In the "thought" process you also look at Monfries and see that he looks like a member of a boy band and so you'll prattle on about him being soft and only in it for the cheap goals despite the fact that he was a disciplined defensive forward who continually sacrificed parts of his game for the good of the team and was every bit as courageous as the tough guys you love.

Kommer has a very, very long way to go before he is at the level Monfries played.

I went fishing, and I got on easier than I thought I would!

Monfries is still a large feature of the Essendon promo banners in the Virgin terminal @ Tulla airport.

Not sure how long they're going to stay there, but someone might want to let the club know in case they are unaware and would like to change it.
Banner now features Watson, Hurley & Winderlich for those keeping score at home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Career best form.

Outstanding year for Port, not sure where he finished in their b and f but it would have to be top 5 or so. He virtually signed shaws death warrant at collingwood which was highly amusing to watch. Well played Gus
Was solid bullion.

He played so well at times this year, that I did wonder a few times what might have been had he stayed with us.

But, by the same token, I think he'd probably gone as far as he was likely to go with us. Perhaps he needed that change of scenery to freshen himself mentally.

Poor bastard. Proper tear?
Looked really bad, was chasing a ball hard, he should have by right sprinted onto it and kicked a goal, went DOWN though, like a sack of spuds.

Looked really bad, was chasing a ball hard, he should have by right sprinted onto it and kicked a goal, went DOWN though, like a sack of spuds.
s**t. Hope it isn't the same as Lloydy had many years back...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back