Past player - David Wirrpanda (1996-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

David Wirrpanda

44071.jpg

DOB: 3/8/1979

Height: 173 cm

Weight: 83 kg

Playing number: 44

Arrived: Drafted as a compensation selection in the 1995 national draft, from Eastern Ranges.

Debut: Round 5, 1996 vs Carlton –102nd Eagles player

Games: 227

Goals: 131

Won: Premiership medal in 2006
All Australian in 2005
Team 20 selection in 2006

Departed: Retired at the end of the 2009 season.

One of the most skilful players ever to pull on a West Coast guernsey, David Wirrpanda recovered from frequent foot injuries and homesickness to become a fan favourite and one of the club’s greats.

Wirrpanda (whose name was incorrectly spelt “Wirrpunda” until 2005) was taken by West Coast as a compensation selection in 1995, after Fremantle had signed the uncontracted Tony Godden. He made his debut early in 1996, the only 16 year old to have appeared at senior level for the club. Due to injury Wirrpanda managed just 12 games in his first three seasons, and only a handful more for East Perth.

Wirra had something of a breakout season in 1999, cementing himself in the backline and playing every game. He finished fifth in the Club Champion award that year, just two votes behind winner Guy McKenna. After playing just eight games in 2000 due to injury, he bounced back in 2001 to play 21 games.

In 2002, Wirrpanda began to be swung into the forward line to great effect, kicking a bag of 5 against Hawthorn and finishing with 26 goals for the year, behind only Phil Matera and Troy Wilson.

After an indifferent 2004, during which he struggled for form and was even dropped to the WAFL on one occasion, Wirrpanda had a career-best season in 2005. Playing the role of backline sweeper with aplomb, Wirra was named in the backline in the All-Australian team. He played 20 games for the year, including the losing grand final.

Wirra was again a fixture in the backline in 2006, save for the preliminary final which he missed due to a hammy injury. He was passed fit to retake his place for the grand final, meaning someone had to receive bad news and in this case it was young defender Jaymie Graham, who had played 24 out of 25 games to that point. Wirrpanda wrote Graham’s #22 on his hand so that the unlucky player could still be on the field in some form.

In 2007 Wirrpanda, who had begun to slow a little, again spent plenty of time in the forward line where his class and goal sense proved more than handy as he kicked 25 goals for the year. Wirra played his 200th game during 2008, with the struggling Eagles turning in a winning performance against the Crows to honour the popular veteran.

The ageing Wirrpanda was clearly slowing in 2009, but was still a valuable presence in the backline. He played 18 games for the year, announcing his retirement ahead of the final round game against Richmond along with fellow premiership stars Chad Fletcher and Adam Hunter. Wirra ended up missing the game due to the birth of his son, but nevertheless finished in the top 10 in the Club Champion award for the eighth time in his career.

After retiring from AFL footy Wirrpanda signed with East Perth, but managed only two WAFL games in 2010. Away from the field, Wirrpanda has established the David Wirrpanda Foundation, a charity dedicated to improving the lives of indigenous youths. He has also entered politics, unsuccessfully contesting the 2013 Federal election as a National Party candidate.

David Selwyn Burralung Merringwuy Galarrwuy Wyal Wirrpanda

Rocked a fantastic pony tail when he arrived in WA. Was so home sick I was surprised he stayed a complete season.

Was electrifyingly quick early, remember him running out of the back pocket and just destroying blokes, they couldn't get near him.

Such a great player, and one of the best blokes you'll ever meet if you get the chance. Funny as hell too.

Malthouse told him to chop it off if he was serious about his footy. Chopped it and became a great!....think it was more a symbolic thing, or Mick was just being grumpy about the modern day footballer haha

Made the one hand pick up look like a thing of art......Magic to watch when he did it. I remember at junior footy training we used to shout out Wirra when someone went for the pick up.......Kind of like shouting out Sampi, when someone goes for the grab.

Great player, Deserves everything he receives outside of football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My wife's favourite player of all time and definitely up there for me too.

As others have mentioned, those one-handed pick-ups! :eek: Usually followed by a 50m pass onto the chest of a team mate. Used to love the occasional torp too :D

Yeah Woosha gave him license to roll out a barrel when kicking out. This was when flooding was just beginning to creep in and it got it over the opposition players and into the hands of our plethora of quick mids at the time.

I remember him kicking a monster from the city end in 2003-4ish toward the now Chris Mainwaring wing. It would've been 70m+, absolute belter.

Star. Pretty underrated still I reckon. Would kill for his clean hands and poise these days.

Was silky smooth, every movement was seemingly graceful with no wasted motion.
Everyone who's old enough will remember just him calmly picking up the ball with one hand, going for a run and kicking 30+ metres straight onto a chest of a teammate.

Super dooper Eagle and totally underrated by too many people, love him always..as much a champion off field as he was on. We watched him play his first game at 16 and he smashed and crashed his way into our hearts, the beautiful skills came quickly and he became a fav forever. Cried when he played his last..I always felt he should have been our Captain instead of Judd, he deserved it and was a real leader and could perform miracles when needed either end of the ground, always seemed to be where the ball was!
A humble and giving man..Young West Australian of the Year in 2009.
Thanks Wirra xxx

My equal 2nd favourite player of all time (after Peter matera and equal with cousins)

The vacuum cleaner

Always went the one hand pick up with great effect but the best thing ... THE BARRELS

Watched the 'Judd gets 5 in a half' game a month or so ago and it features about 4 monster barrels from The panda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back