St Kilda
Welcome to St Kilda: Eli Templeton

085901-13afd646-9956-11e3-ae2a-c06439f32ae2.jpg

Go the Matrix!

http://www.footytragic.com/blog/uncategorized/kps-phantom-draft/

#15 – ELI TEMPLETON
Height: 182cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 19/8/1995
Recruited from: Burnie Dockers
Eli Templeton is really just a ‘no-fuss’ type of player. You’d be foolish to just look at his hair and put him in the flaky basket because that’s just not who he is. He’s an extremely hard-working midfielder who just keeps working on improving his game.

Templeton came onto the scene at U/16’s level when he really did well at the National Carnival. He got picked in the AIS Academy squad but was then not invited back this year which would’ve been a big kick in the guts for him. He took it in his stride and completed a fantastic season where he played senior level footy in Tasmania for the Burnie Dockers as well as representing Tasmania again in the National Champs where he really staked his claim as a top prospect.

Templeton doesn’t exactly have many standout features, but he’s just pretty good at everything. He does have a slight build, but he should be able to fill out just fine. He’s put on six kilos this year which gives you a bit of a picture of where he’s coming from physically. In the early days of his AFL career he’d probably be a bit too slight to play as a permanent midfielder, but he’s not a stranger to playing off the flanks. Eventually the midfield will be his role and he’s capable of playing inside and out.

Athletically Templeton is outstanding, and he’s the type of player that will just keep on going when everyone else is out on their feet. He’s a willing worker who enjoys finding space, spreading and linking up and this will be extremely beneficial late in games. He had a very good Combine, which basically confirmed everything we’ve seen from him out on the field. There have been some queries on his pace, but I thought he whacked that on the head with a 20m sprint of 3.06 seconds. It’s not blistering pace but he’s not slow as some have suggested. Templeton ranked in the top 23% in agility, ran a 15.3 beep test, top 21% in repeat sprints and top 8% in the 3km time-trial. His endurance is a huge asset.

I mentioned that Templeton is a bit of a hybrid midfielder in that he can play both roles. He’s probably more suited to play the outside role due to his run but I think once he puts on a bit more weight he’ll be able to match it inside. He is no disgrace inside and he is quite a good clearance player. When he gets it in tight, he does dish out the quick hands quite well and I must admit sometimes his little moves do remind me of Dyson Heppell, but I’m trying not to get caught up with the hairstyle. The reason why I like him more on the outside is because of his ability to read the play and run both ways. I think he’s the ideal modern-day wingman because of this balance of attack and defence, plus he has outstanding endurance. I’m not comparing him to Brandon Ellis, but I think he’s quite capable of the role Ellis played for the Tigers this season at the next level. At the Champs he had an equal amount of rebound 50’s as he did inside 50’s (12). In terms of his defensive pressure, I think it could do with a little bit of improvement, but I don’t think it is a massive issue. He has shown he is a willing tackler, but sometimes he’s caught ball-watching.

Templeton normally runs at a very high efficiency rate, but I certainly don’t think his kicking is elite. He is very safe with ball in hand and doesn’t really take too many risks with it, which isn’t a bad thing. His kicking doesn’t necessarily have the penetration to break the lines but he instead creates plays with his continuous run and chain of passes.

I’m a really big fan of Templeton. I enjoy his dare and he’s quite a fun player to watch. The way he worked back after a disappointing season last year is a big tick in my book and I think he has a bright future if he keeps working that hard and puts on a bit of size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Templeton compliments the three we got in the ND really well.

I suspect that we were planning on drafting one of Lewis Taylor or Billy Hartung, who both look suited to the wing, at 19, until Acres slid, so getting Templeton in the RD is really ideal, as he is probably not much less talented than those two and ought to be able to play a similar role.

Tweets

Eli Templeton @eli_templeton
@stkildafc thank you for this opportunity! #stoked congrats to a great family friend @Maverick_weller !

Mates of Weller by the looks, gotta make life so much better for the pair of 'em. Congratulations guys.

Tweets

Eli Templeton @eli_templeton
@stkildafc thank you for this opportunity! #stoked congrats to a great family friend @Maverick_weller !

Mates of Weller by the looks, gotta make life so much better for the pair of 'em. Congratulations guys.
Surely Templeton is now to be known as 'Goose'...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-28/24-days-to-the-draft-meet-eli-templeton

Templeton is a midfielder who runs and runs, and has good skills to go with it. He had a strong under-16 championships, which saw him picked in the level one AIS-AFL Academy squad. But after a quieter season last year he was cut from the prestigious program's level two group, which forced him to go back and improve his game.

Templeton had a consistent NAB AFL Under-18 Championships with Tasmania this year, and averaged 23 disposals across his four games. He has also played at senior level in Tasmania for the Burnie Dockers and has been a reliable performer.

STRENGTHS
If recruiters were in any doubt of Templeton's best traits, he underlined them at the NAB AFL Draft Combine. In the 3km time trial he ran 10min 5sec (seventh overall) and got to level 15.3 in the beep test (fourth overall). You can see Templeton's running power in his game, too. He gives and goes, and is always running for the next possession. His kicking is neat, and he can play through half-back, the wing and on-ball.

WEAKNESSES
As one of a lot of midfielders in the draft, Templeton doesn't possess heaps of speed, which means he doesn't have that trick up his sleeve to really break past opponents. Being of a smaller build, too, this counts against him. Templeton is not afraid to put his head over the ball and cop a whack, but is probably best suited to an outside role at this stage.

DRAFT RANGE
Most likely to fall somewhere within the third round of the draft.

BOTTOM LINE
Templeton can occasionally provide some flash – a blind turn or a quick sidestep – but his run is the key. It's a trait not everyone has.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/eli-templeton

Position: Midfielder
Height: 182cm
Weight: 75kg
Born: 19/8/95
Home club: Burnie Dockers

Midfielder Eli Templeton was one of the standouts for Tasmania throughout the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Templeton's mop of blond hair, akin to Dyson Heppell, stands out but so does his attitude; he takes a few risks with the ball, and tries things others perhaps wouldn't. He averaged 22.5 disposals in the Championships and was a regular in Tasmania's best players. The nimble Templeton was among the strong performers in October's Draft Combine, coming in seventh in the 3km time trial, running 10m 5s, and placing fourth in the beep test with an elite 15.3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back