Opinion Past Player Hot Takes

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
This is a thread where we can post any hot to nuclear level takes about past players. I'll start;

Dan Connors
If he wasn't a twat, he would be an AA and 2 - 3 times premiership player. He is basically a bigger chonkier Short.

Andrew Collins
Could of been a 100 - 150 game player for us if we decided to hand over a second rounder for Grigg. He could play and look genuinely upset that he was put up for trade bait.

Brett Deledio
Played his best football off half back for us when untagged. Was important to us but never had many "game breaking" moments or dragging us over the line games.

Brandon Ellis
Was really important to our structure on the wing. We would look a much better side with him on the wing instead of Pickett.

Marbior Chol
Won't be on a list in 3 years. His career at Gold Coast will be a few games a year with 1 to 2 highlights a game that make him look decent when part of a compilation video.

Shane Tuck
Our second best pure midfielder over the last 11-12 years. 5th best player over the same time period.

Ben Cousins
Was a highly successful acquisition for us. His experience and on-field coaching was invaluable to Cotch and Martin whose only midfield role model was Tuck.

Players who should be regarded as all time greats if injury didn't ruin their career
Nathan Brown, Mark Coughlan, Nathan Foley

Jayden Post - would have been a gun CHF if only he would have been given a string of games in the 1's - young KP players take longer to develop you know

Brett Deledio - could have kicked 60 - 70 goals a year if he had been played as a permanent forward

Ben Griffiths
Could've been a seriously good footballer if constant shoulder injuries, then concussions, didn't ruin a fledgling career. Looked to be an honest, long-kicking backman as well as a high-leaping and strong centre half forward later on, but could never get continuity. A breakout in 2016 against Sydney promised further development, but concussions put paid to his career. Is now a College Football punter in the USA, and looks to have married as well.

Anthony Miles
Desperately unlucky midfielder got Prestia'd as we crucially pivoted to a Dusty-centric midfield group. Could've just as easily racked up 150 games as a tenacious inside mid. Instead, out of the league. Undersized, not blessed with exceptional skills, and had to work for his place. But he was a Tiger, and deserved a better run at AFL level.

Matt Dea and Jake Batchelor
Willful defenders who were bigger on heart than on talent, were shown up on the arrival of the likes of Grimes, Vlastuin, Houli and Rance as All-Australian calibre players. Were faceless in our defence as it evolved into the juggernaut we got to see in 2017-2020, but hold fond memories for diehard Tigers.

Steve Morris
Had moments where he was the best lockdown small in the league behind Nick Smith. Looked to tie up a back pocket as a hard-nosed destroyer of small forwards, but was Dimma'd with a stint as a small pressure forward. Worked with Jake King, and later Jase Castagna. But Morris was ruined and a 2016 ACL rupture finished the job. Kicked one of the best goals I've ever seen against Hawthorn in 2012, and will always be diving full-stretch (in vain) in my head, for eternity. Always loved this bloke.

Ben Nason, loved that dude and he would have probably lasted at least one more year if he kept the dreads

Not sure about Ben cuz being a highly successful acquisition
I always felt the getting Ben made us mature as a club, by being able to control/rehabilitate although that’s probably a bad word, but I felt we grew as a club

Stephen Pirrie doesnt do his knee in rd.22 of 1982 against North we probably win the flag,instead we had to play Martello who wasnt bad but
past his best and not 1st choice,also agree we missed Preston's aggression along with the other obvious 2 hard nuts who missed that day.
i equate the loss of Pirrie to that of North's and they're loss of Dench in rd.3 1978 for the rest of that season,if he plays in '78 North win that flag.
Glendenning was all at sea @FB

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If marc dragicevic had not done his knee twice he would of been a richmond champion.48 games 24 goals goal kicking midfielder.

At the time we drafted marc dragicevic I spoke to Gary ayres who thought very highly of him and wished Geelong had gotten him,he was a Geelong boy so his information would be good on marc.

When you’re told you’re surplus and there’s a deal in place , I can only imagine you don’t have much choice. Stay where you aren’t wanted or go where you are.

That is when contracts only count for games in the Reserves - the dilemma of many a footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back