Past Player - James Battersby

Remove this Banner Ad

Really happy we got Battersby. It's insane he fell this far in the draft. Does anybody have any idea why he wasn't picked up in the ND? I can't see any glaring faults in his game. He's got good size, good awareness and kicks accurately. What am I missing here?

It may just be down to lack of height and legspeed? Maybe he interview poorly? Who knows.

He was on my radar at #23 in the ND! So I'm very stoked we were able to pinch him at #24 as a rookie! All-Australian selection and seems to have all the tools to succeed at AFL level. Has also played senior footy so he should make an impact in the ressies from day one.

Someone posted this u18 Power Rankings list before - but worth re-posting here... http://boundforglorynews.com/2013-final-under-18s-power-rankings/
Yea I just re-posted that elsewhere as well. 3 out of the top 5 is outstanding given our sanctions. Granted it doesn't guarantee they'll make good AFL players but it certainly indicates that given the right development they have the ability to give it a good crack!

If nothing else it's a feel good read lol

all good judges seem to really rate this lad, wonder why he slipped to pick 2 in the rookie draft

Back to footy after being one of the villains that have temporarily derailed it. :)

I've never seen Battersby play in the flesh, but if those highlights are indicative of how the boy plays, he would have to be a real chance. His reading of the play and his disposal are superb. A grade skills as well.

His pace appears to be about standard, and he's not overly tall, although that didn't seem to be a handicap on what we get to see in the highlights.

If he just gain a yard in pace, he could end up being a very good footballer.

Edit: he also has a pretty chunky body for a kid his age - already looks AFL ready which would go some way to explaining his excellent SANFL form.
This is the one thing that gives me a slight hesitation in my enthusiasm. Young blokes with men's bodies can deliver stuff in the lower grades that they never go on to produce in the AFL. I know he's done well in the Sturt seniors, so hopefully it's not applicable in his case, but...

Great to have Batters on board.

(On the side topic being discussed in this thread, page 3 of The Aus today calls St Peter's College the 'most prestigious boys school in Adelaide'; fees go up to $22K for seniors, yet they are still losing money)

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2013-11-27/crows-recruiters-rate-rookies

Pick No.24 - James Battersby
Position: Small midfielder/defender/forward
Height: 177cm
Weight: 78kg
Born: 7/11/95
Home club: Sturt

“We thought James might be there at our second pick – we were hoping anyway. James played really well at SANFL level this year. Whenever he was available, Sturt picked him in their league side. He made an impact and had some great games in a variety of roles. He played wing and as an inside-midfielder for Sturt. When he played for SA at the National Championships, they used him as a small defender. His ability to read the play and rebound was very good and he was named All-Australian. He’s a very good kick and has great vision. Of the players to play all five games at the National Championships, his kicking efficiency was the best.” – Phil Bunn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least with a Reserve side next year we will get a chance to see them perform together. That's a bonus!

Geez this is the first we will truly appreciate not having to check for stats of up and coming Crows players.

Im sure the AFC will have detailed notes on each SANFL game for us.

Spoke to mate who's one eyed sturt man goes to every game. His answer should have been picked up in the ND without question. With that comment surely this was a great pick, with the rookie try before buy policy. In an absolute no lose situation on this one

Hmm after watching those videos maybe his disposals isn't as good as I first thought. He looked the goods in the tac cup footage...

Kicks seem bit loopy for mine. Seems to have a good kicking action + awareness and vision, but his kicks always go just as high as they do long. Hopefully that's some we can help him improve. Also seems to be a bit rushed in disposal when he has more time than he thinks. Looks a real competitive kid though who wants to take the game on, just a few areas he probably needs to tidy up if he wants to break into the side anytime soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back