Past Player - Kurt Tippett

Remove this Banner Ad

im not sure what you are trying to say here. we aint talking about the crows getting draft picks for tippett or letting him go.

the realistic way gold coast will get him is by claiming him as one of their (probable) 10 uncontracted players. They will attempt to lure the young lad home with incentives like family/friends, lifestyle and quite probably bigger bucks (assuming they have salary cap relief as currently mooted). its almost certain tippett will structure his contract to finish at the time gold coast enter to allow him maximum freedom and dollars in whatever contract he chooses.

its a real risk that he will be lured home. people trying to find 'meaning' in his cliched qoutes on the issue now are just wasting their time

The way I understand it, they won't be able to just rip 10 uncontracted players out of the existing playing lists.

They will trade for the existing players, using the high draft picks which they are being gifted (the first 5 picks, 10 in the first 30). Of course, having those high draft picks gives them a fair bit of clout if the player DOES want out and the club decides to play hard-ball.

Really hope he doesnt leave for the GC. He is already a crowd favourite, everyone loves the fact we have a gun foward who can take a contested pack grab.

Im still coming to grips with the fact that I am actually older than him, and he has only played footy for 4 years or so! Ive been playing footy (not in a team sicne school was done with though) for as long as I can remember, and Im stuck out playing in the local park once a week..if that! :eek:

*thinks of trying to do a ben hudson*

im not sure what you are trying to say here. we aint talking about the crows getting draft picks for tippett or letting him go.

the realistic way gold coast will get him is by claiming him as one of their (probable) 10 uncontracted players. They will attempt to lure the young lad home with incentives like family/friends, lifestyle and quite probably bigger bucks (assuming they have salary cap relief as currently mooted). its almost certain tippett will structure his contract to finish at the time gold coast enter to allow him maximum freedom and dollars in whatever contract he chooses.

its a real risk that he will be lured home. people trying to find 'meaning' in his cliched qoutes on the issue now are just wasting their time

I'm not trying to find anything, just quoting what he said dude so not wasting my time what-so-ever. When i say "wont let him go" i mean they'll do everything possible to keep him there and that would include, obviously, making sure he is contracted.

why are we all so up in arms about this it's ages away!!!

we will deal with this if it comes! until then everyone relax and Enjoy the Tippett Show!

The way I understand it, they won't be able to just rip 10 uncontracted players out of the existing playing lists.

They will trade for the existing players, using the high draft picks which they are being gifted (the first 5 picks, 10 in the first 30). Of course, having those high draft picks gives them a fair bit of clout if the player DOES want out and the club decides to play hard-ball.

my understanding differs to what (I think) you are suggesting Vader.

How do you interpret the ability to take uncontracted players working then? eg the uncontracted Tippett says to the Crows im outta here in 2 yrs time and wants to play for the new Gold Coast team. Gold Coast offers crows high draft picks but the crows flatly reject giving him up. Are you saying that the Gold Coast wont have access to him in this situation? That Tippett may have to go into the PSD (which Gold Coast will probably have 1st pick any way :eek:)?

I could be wrong but I imagined a similar situation to when the Crows, Power and Freo entered the league in the 90's and all moved heaven and earth to get the best uncontracted players they could to join their initial squads - at no cost.

Obviously the other impacts of new teams entering with access to uncontracted gun players will be:

- a massively disproportionate amount of gun players contracts will be up for renewal in the period when the new club/s are allowed to claim uncontracted players,
- inflationary times for gun players salaries

my understanding differs to what (I think) you are suggesting Vader.

How do you interpret the ability to take uncontracted players working then? eg the uncontracted Tippett says to the Crows im outta here in 2 yrs time and wants to play for the new Gold Coast team. Gold Coast offers crows high draft picks but the crows flatly reject giving him up. Are you saying that the Gold Coast wont have access to him in this situation? That Tippett may have to go into the PSD (which Gold Coast will probably have 1st pick any way :eek:)?

I could be wrong but I imagined a similar situation to when the Crows, Power and Freo entered the league in the 90's and all moved heaven and earth to get the best uncontracted players they could to join their initial squads - at no cost.

Obviously the other impacts of new teams entering with access to uncontracted gun players will be:

- a massively disproportionate amount of gun players contracts will be up for renewal in the period when the new club/s are allowed to claim uncontracted players,
- inflationary times for gun players salaries

To be honest, I'm not sure WHAT rights the GC team will have. I don't think anyone does - including the residents of AFL House. It's one big mess at the moment, with every second media release seemingly contradicting the previous one. The situation is as clear as mud.

With the rule changes the AFL put in place this year regarding the draft, it is now possible for a player to walk out of their club and straight into the National Draft. Players no longer have to wait to be formally delisted, having no choice but to nominate for the pre-season draft (which begs the question why they bother to continue with it, but I digress). Gold Coast will have picks 1-5 in the 2010 ND. We'd have the option of trading with the GC for one of those top 5 picks, or face Tippett walking out and getting picked up by the GC using the very same draft pick. Having him walk out for nothing would clearly be the worst case scenario and I doubt that Tippett would be so cruel & heartless.

Of course, that's all predicated on Tippett wanting out. Big IF. Here's hoping he decides to stay put for the remainder of his career.

When the expansion teams joined the competition we got a number of uncontracted players at no cost. However, the clubs which lost the players were duly compensated by receiving draft picks ahead of the National Draft - that's how Lloyd ended up at Essendon. Instead of doing it this way, my understanding is that the new clubs will be able to trade draft picks for established players - hence the reason they are getting so many early draft picks in the 2010 & 2011 drafts.

To be honest, I'm not sure WHAT rights the GC team will have. I don't think anyone does - including the residents of AFL House. It's one big mess at the moment, with every second media release seemingly contradicting the previous one. The situation is as clear as mud.

With the rule changes the AFL put in place this year regarding the draft, it is now possible for a player to walk out of their club and straight into the National Draft. Players no longer have to wait to be formally delisted, having no choice but to nominate for the pre-season draft (which begs the question why they bother to continue with it, but I digress). Gold Coast will have picks 1-5 in the 2010 ND. We'd have the option of trading with the GC for one of those top 5 picks, or face Tippett walking out and getting picked up by the GC using the very same draft pick. Having him walk out for nothing would clearly be the worst case scenario and I doubt that Tippett would be so cruel & heartless.

Of course, that's all predicated on Tippett wanting out. Big IF. Here's hoping he decides to stay put for the remainder of his career.

When the expansion teams joined the competition we got a number of uncontracted players at no cost. However, the clubs which lost the players were duly compensated by receiving draft picks ahead of the National Draft - that's how Lloyd ended up at Essendon. Instead of doing it this way, my understanding is that the new clubs will be able to trade draft picks for established players - hence the reason they are getting so many early draft picks in the 2010 & 2011 drafts.

article below from the age today

obviously it aint signed off yet but if what vossy says here eventuates that supports the nightmare case i was making yesterday. if he keeps showing massive improvement, by the end of this year, could well be the NUMBER ONE recruiting target for the gold coast considering riewoldts age in a few yrs time. so doesnt matter if they only end up getting access to say 3, or 5 uncontracted players. he will almost certainly be in the first few picked by the gold coast.

now its up to us to convince him to stay - and thats what worries me.....

FEAR among AFL clubs about the prospect of losing a stack of uncontracted players to the Gold Coast is unfounded. Why? Because history tells you it just won't happen.

So much so that the recruiting concessions for the 17th AFL club should be more about early draft picks than access to uncontracted players.

This is a hot talking point in AFL circles, and each of the 16 clubs will have a view.

While publicly keen to support expansion, they will be anxious to protect their own turf. And rightly so. It's their job.

After accepting an advisory role with the GC17 bid team, I've found myself right in the middle of all this.

I'm still feeling my way through the mountain of relevant data and information but if you believe the reported recruiting concessions that might be offered to the Gold Coast, they'll have access to a stack of Queenslanders over the next three years and access to 10 uncontracted players at the end of 2010.

The uncontracted player allowance is causing most grief among existing clubs and understandably so.

They wouldn't want to lose for nothing a player in whom they've invested significant resources.

While it's always going to be part of the concession package, I suspect they're worrying a little unnecessarily because the Gold Coast would find it hard to lure 10 uncontracted players.
After all, it's more than the two latest expansion clubs, Port Adelaide and Fremantle, could use.

When Fremantle joined the AFL in 1995, it had access to 12 uncontracted players over three years. Reading from my trusty AFL Guide, I find that the first year they got one — Ben Allan.

In the second year, it got six — Andrew Wills, Jason Norrish, Brendan Krummel, Peter Mann, Stephen O'Reilly and Todd Ridley. And in year three, it got one more — Tony Godden.

What's the common denominator? All but Wills were West Australians returning home.

When Port Adelaide joined the AFL in 1997, it had access to four uncontracted players.

It recruited Matthew Primus, Gavin Wanganeen, Adam Heuskes and Ian Downsborough.

That was one ex-Fitzroy player without a club after rejecting Brisbane, two South Australians returning home, and a West Australian who played only seven games for the Power before moving on.

And don't forget — these are two states rich in football culture, history and heritage. The Gold Coast is largely virgin territory.

While it looks nice on paper to offer the Gold Coast access to 10 uncontracted players, reality is that it isn't such a big thing.

Sure, some Queenslanders might want to return home,
but otherwise, unless there is a strong rush on very disgruntled players, those concessions won't be worth all that much.

It'll be a key bargaining tool for player managers and will drive some inflated player salaries, but generally franchise players and top-end players just don't switch clubs too often. Chris Judd is the exception.

If the AFL is fair dinkum about wanting to help the Gold Coast club build a competitive playing list from the outset, it needs to load up the allowances in the national draft.

It'll be a twofold thing. First, the new club will draft some good young players. Second, it will use other top draft picks to trade for established players.

That's a better alternative for the existing clubs because they'll get something in return. As they should.

Right now, the 16 AFL clubs have between eight and 14 first-round draft picks on their list. The Gold Coast should end up with something comparable after it has finalised its list.

Young Queenslanders will be the cream on the concession package but there's no way they can be anything more. Again, history says that as much as the AFL has made massive headway in south-east Queensland, the depth and consistency of talent is not there. Consider these statistics.

■Since 2000, a total of 33 Queenslanders have been drafted and 38 Queenslanders have been rookie-listed.

■Of those 71, only 36 have played AFL football and 14 of the 36 have not played more than 10 games.

■Of the 33 draftees, a third came in one year — 2006.

■In 2002, only one Queenslander was considered by the 16 clubs to be of draftable quality.

■Only three Queenslanders new to the system since 2000 have played 100 AFL games — Nick Riewoldt (141), Robert Copeland (135) and Jamie Charman (112).

■Another seven have played 50 games — Brad Miller (98), David Hale (86), Michael Osborne (84), Daniel Pratt (69), Ben Hudson (63), Daniel Merrett (54) and Andrew Raines (54).

Much of AFL Queensland's talented player program is about recruiting elite athletes from other sports, and providing a clear pathway that in time will prove enormously beneficial for the code. Three years ago, Adelaide's Kurt Tippett was a Queensland Academy of Sport basketballer. Tom Williams, of the Western Bulldogs, was a Queensland Secondary Schools rugby player. And Brisbane's Merrett played cricket, volleyball and touch at school.

Yes, they will be good, long-term AFL players. Likewise Raines, David Armitage, Ricky Petterd, Courtenay Dempsey and Rhan Hooper.

And others I've not seen enough of to include.

But a new AFL club can't afford to rely too heavily on the possibility that more than a couple of good young Queenslanders will pop up each year.

There's also going to be the issue that the best young Queensland prospects might not want to put their dreams on hold until 2011.

Kids today live for now.

They want to get into the AFL system as quickly as possible and it's going to take some pretty special AFL incentives for them to go into a prolonged holding pattern.

It's all part of a complicated situation that will take some unravelling by the AFL before it finds a solution satisfactory to the new club and tolerable to the 16 existing clubs. The devil is still in the detail.

article below from the age today
Appears you are correct and I was mistaken.

Bizarre that the AFL would give them the luxury of taking 10 uncontracted players (without compensation to the other club) AND giving them the top draft picks to trade for experienced players as well. To me that's double dipping.

http://www.afc.com.au/tabid/4417/Default.aspx?newsid=61890

Crows want Tippett to stand tallBy Katrina Gill 3:57 PM Fri 20 June, 2008
K_Tippett_R1108_b.jpg

THE CROWS are looking for impressive first year tall Kurt Tippett to ‘stand-up’ in the second half of the season.

Tippett, 21, has played all 12 games this season and earned a NAB Rising Star nomination for his four-goal haul against Melbourne in round eight.

The Queenslander, who will return home to play at the Gabba this weekend for the first time since coming to Adelaide at the end of 2006, has booted just one goal in trying and often wet conditions over the past month. Coach Neil Craig said Tippett would have to learn to deal with the increased level of respect from opposition players.

“Opposition sides aren’t going to let a guy of 200cm stand there unattended and take catch after catch, so welcome to the big time Kurt,” Craig said.

“Kurt understands that. Even though he hasn’t taken a lot of marks up forward [recently], he’s been really competitive in the air, which we want.

“He hasn’t gone in there and been out-marked. His second efforts are still really good. He’s got a fierce competitive attitude and I think he’s going to be a very good player.”

Adelaide’s forward line coach Paul Hamilton said it was important to remember where Tippett had come from. The former basketballer was drafted by the Crows on the back of no more than 25 games of Australian Football.

“My cousin who plays in under-14s has actually played more games of football than Kurt Tippett, so he hasn’t played a lot of footy and we always have to keep that in mind,” Hamilton said.

“But what Kurt has done is provide us with a reasonable sort of structure to work with. It’s been difficult for him in the last few weeks because of the wet and slippery conditions we’ve been playing in, but his off-ball contributions have been terrific and his chasing has improved a lot from the start of the year.

“We think he’s taking some steps forward, but he’s got to do a little bit more yet. If we’re going to have a reasonable side in the second half of the year, we’re going to need someone, like Kurt, to step up.”

The club is expected to incorporate contract negotiations with Tippett’s Queensland-based manager when the Crows head to Brisbane on Friday to prepare for Saturday night’s game at the Gabba.

Tippett’s name has already been mentioned in association with the AFL’s proposed new Gold Coast franchise and Hamilton said he wanted to see the pharmacy student remain at West Lakes long-term.

“I’ll leave the contracts to John Reid to follow through on, but we’d like to see him here for a long time,” he said.

“How we go about doing that and making sure he stays here is not just about the contract. It’s about how we work with him, how he develops, the friendships he builds and the way the club looks after him.”

Hamilton said fans should also be excited by the progress of 18-year-old forward Taylor Walker. Walker was Adelaide’s first signing in the NSW Scholarship program and has booted bags of nine and five in his past couple of outings with SANFL club Norwood.

“This year, we were probably expecting Taylor to be playing seconds for Norwood; that was what we were envisaging,” Hamilton said.

“We were hoping he’d do more than that, but he certainly has gone a long way since the start of the year.

“Over the last two weeks, his efforts have been terrific, so he’s another one that puts pressure on the guys in the side.

“It’s really pleasing. It’s really good to have those difficulties when it comes to certain areas of selection and, hopefully, that continues for some time.”

I was watching a dvd last night of a 2006 Tac Cup game between Queensland and Dandenong in which Tippett kicked 7 goals. Tippett kicked these 7 goals in 2 and half quarters and then was injured for the remainding time and didnt play the rest of the match. In this game he took 6 contested marks (most of them outmarking his opponnent with pure body strength and height).

One thing i did notice about Tippett in this game compared to now was his kicking for goal. In this tac cup game is kicking style going for goal was very good. He was much more relaxed, wasnt robotic in his approach and didnt worry about measuring his run up. He just took the mark, went back 15 or so metres and kicked for goal. The approach to goal was so much different to the way we seem him line up for us. He actually had a very balanced approach to goal. When he has played for us he sometimes nearly gets into a sprint when kicking for goals resulting in his legs going all over the place. In the Tac cup game his approach to goal was so casual yet very effective.

Another point I noticed with Tippett was how much bigger his body size is now compared to two years ago. Hopefully we will be saying the same about Walker in a couple more years as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to leave my final thought before I go on footy trip for the weekend!!!

Kurt Tippett's season 2008 is eerily similar to a certain players 2005.

Let's take a look.

Kurt Tippett
Lance Franklin

Franklin played 20 games for 21 goals.
Tippett played 19 games for 17 goals.

Tippett's bag of 4 was bigger than Franklin's best of 3.

Tippett also rucked a lot.

And then you take a look at some of the thoughts of Hawthorn supporters about Buddy at the time...

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180589

Hmm....sounds eerily similar to what we are saying about Kurt!

So in summary, while I'm obviously not saying that Kurt will be as good as Lance, we should be quietly happy with his progress. :)

And just for prosperity:

[YOUTUBE]QBn9RmZeGNo[/YOUTUBE]

i know Tippett and Buddy are big guys, but correct me if i'm looking at it wrong, but from that video, it appears Tippett gives Buddy a normal bump and Buddy goes down like he's hurt. i think he's faking...that's my opinion. Buddy can dish off bumps of his own, but when he gets bumped, he goes down pretty easily and often stays down for a while (i've seen it on quite a few of his vids on youtube).

According to the Advertiser, Brissie had a crack at Kurt already during this trade week. We told them he was untouchable. Just like the ball will be to his opponent next year :D

Buddy is weak in the shoulders but what I would want to see from Adelaide is play Moran against Tippett and Walker in the off-season, add Bock and Rutten to that and develop some toughness and hardness in Moran.

I believe he is one of the few players in the league that has the pace and height to match Franklin and if he got tough and some mongrel in him would be an awesome full back, better than Rutten. IF he learnt how to spoil and was tough at it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back