Past Player - Kurt Tippett

Remove this Banner Ad

Straight swap Tippett for Gorringe? Could be a win-win for both clubs. Crows also get out of his big contract and get a legit 12 year ruckman.

Straight swap Tippett for Gorringe? Could be a win-win for both clubs. Crows also get out of his big contract and get a legit 12 year ruckman.

I like Gorringe and all, but at this stage he's still speculative. Tippett has shown what he can do, and would command more than Gorringe.

It's not far off being a potential deal, mind you. Perhaps if you package someone else up with him?

I guess the other thing to consider is, Tippett has made a big commitment staying with us, and it would look really bad if we then shipped him off. Other players might start to wonder why they should stay with us if we treated him like that?

I like Gorringe and all, but at this stage he's still speculative. Tippett has shown what he can do, and would command more than Gorringe.

It's not far off being a potential deal, mind you. Perhaps if you package someone else up with him?

I guess the other thing to consider is, Tippett has made a big commitment staying with us, and it would look really bad if we then shipped him off. Other players might start to wonder why they should stay with us if we treated him like that?

Gorringe and Jolly would be a good swap. We need remove at least 7 guys from our list post 2011 anyway so could suit both parties.

Gorringe and Jolly would be a good swap. We need remove at least 7 guys from our list post 2011 anyway so could suit both parties.
At least 7?

You need to cull the list by 2 players overall in 2011. You also need to cull 3 more as the AFL's mandated minimum for participation in the ND. By my maths that's 5. Is there something I may have missed?

Tippett made a big choice to stay here and that loyalty was rewarded. He was one of two players to actually turn down a GCS contract (along with Pav). As exciting as your team will be and I think Gorringe is a talent, that is massive unders for Tip.

How about you guys keep your Tip & we will keep ours :p

Saw that ad the other night, made me lol.

After his slow start though big Kurt has been our best player. He'll have a big year, would have a HUGE one if our midfield could deliver to him correctly :p

I know the name brings up bad memories but I thought the following video of Tippett playing for Southport in the 2006 QAFL Grand Final gave an interesting insight into Adelaide's recruiting strategies at the time. Kurt was obviously playing in the ruck most of this match but did end up kicking a goal. Future Hawthorn Premiership ruckman Brent Renouf also happened to be in the backline for Southport that day.

Any thoughts? Did his ability back then warrant a pick 32 selection in the national draft?

Any thoughts? Did his ability back then warrant a pick 32 selection in the national draft?

When we drafted him, our big man stocks were pretty dire. We had Ben Hudson who had just come back from an ACL, Biglands had just done his, while Doc Clarke had just retired. We had a few uncapped rucks in Maric, Griffin and Meesen, but not much else.

Our forward line was in similar dire shape. Hentschel had just obliterated his knee, Perrie had done a PCL that year and was only mediocre at best, ditto McGregor. We were reliant on a bunch of mid-sized players including Roo, Welsh and Burton.

As a result, we clearly drafted on needs that year. Shame about Sellar being a complete dud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we drafted him, our big man stocks were pretty dire. We had Ben Hudson who had just come back from an ACL, Biglands had just done his, while Doc Clarke had just retired. We had a few uncapped rucks in Maric, Griffin and Meesen, but not much else.

Our forward line was in similar dire shape. Hentschel had just obliterated his knee, Perrie had done a PCL that year and was only mediocre at best, ditto McGregor. We were reliant on a bunch of mid-sized players including Roo, Welsh and Burton.

As a result, we clearly drafted on needs that year. Shame about Sellar being a complete dud.
Gee whiz. I don't think you could have painted a darker picture of the tall stocks back then. Odd considering you finished second on the ladder that year and only lost the prelim by 10 points...

Interesting to see another Gold Coaster in Ben Hudson was also on the list then and another tall from the GC (Brad Moran) was only 12 months away from joining the Crows.

Seems like 2007 was a massive learning curve for Tippett in the SANFL considering he wasn't chosen to make his AFL debut that year. Fair effort to get him from where he was as a Southport player in 2006 to what he later became at the Crows :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back