Height: 174 cm

Weight: 76 kg

Playing number: 29

Arrived: Drafted with pick 36 in the 2006 AFL draft

Debut: Round 1 vs Adelaide, 2007

Games: 100

Goals: 120

Departed: Delisted at the end of the 2013 season

A player whose impact was larger than might be expected, Alwyn Davey was a pacey and brave small forward who was a regular in the Essendon line-up during his time at the club. Younger brother of Melbourne player Aaron, Davey grew up in Darwin before moving to Adelaide to play for South Adelaide in the SANFL. He did some training with Melbourne in 2005, but his attitude reportedly was enough for them to leave him alone, and he almost considered qutting altogether, but he was given another shot the next year, and his had work paid off. He was 22 by the time he entered the 2006 draft, but Essendon was willing to take a chance on him, and in his first season he delivered by playing every game until round 14, in which he broke his arm. This was a significant disappointment for fans at the time, who had become enamoured with the Territorian's workrate and speed.

'Froggy', as he was known, returned briefly in 2008 before injuring his ACL, before finally seeing out a full season in 2009. His ACL injury was a significant blow to his returns, as his tackling and other 'pressure acts' were the core of his role within the team. Nevertheless, he continued to play most games in his remaining seasons at the club, before being delisted in what Adrian Dodoro termed a 'tough call to make' at the end of 2013. He returned to the Northern Territory afterwards, and now plies his trade for the Palmerston Magpies, whom he coaches (despite a brief stint on the sidelines during the ASADA ban, along with Leroy Jetta), and which is very much a family affair - his twin brother, Russell, is the president of the club and coach of the women's side, and all his sons, including twins Alwyn and Jayden, play there as well. With 100 games under his belt, Alwyn may be the first of many Daveys to play in the red and black.

To give you some indication of how fans felt about him to start with, here's a clip from the early, early days of YouTube:

Note the unironic use of Darude - Sandstorm, the three pixels, and the description which says to "Keep an eye out for the second installment!", which would never come due to the broken arm in round 14.

Still my son's favourite ever player. Have we ever had anyone burst on the scene like that before? Never got it back after the broken arm. Best 10 game highlight reel ever.
John Coleman

He was a fine player but he should have been a star if it wasn't for the serious injuries he picked up. Was a massive fan of him. Pre ACL was one of the quickest players I've ever seen. Even in our current team I reckon he might have claims to being the quickest. Played a role like Tippa although wasn't quite as skillful but I reckon was a bit quicker.

I'm already looking forward to the next generation of Davey's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still my son's favourite ever player. Have we ever had anyone burst on the scene like that before? Never got it back after the broken arm. Best 10 game highlight reel ever.
At Essendon? Cummings had 30 odd goals in his first 10 games from memory

He was a fine player but he should have been a star if it wasn't for the serious injuries he picked up. Was a massive fan of him. Pre ACL was one of the quickest players I've ever seen. Even in our current team I reckon he might have claims to being the quickest. Played a role like Tippa although wasn't quite as skillful but I reckon was a bit quicker.

I'm already looking forward to the next generation of Davey's.

4 more years and we can draft his kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back