Weight: 83 kg

Playing number: 39

Arrived: Drafted with pick 12 in the 2002 AFL rookie draft

Debut: Round 18 vs Carlton, 2003

Games: 21

Goals: 11

Won: West Adelaide B&F - 2006

Departed: Delisted at the end of the 2005 season

Ben Haynes was a skilled midfielder/forward who never really got going. Hailing from Melton South, Haynes captained the Western Jets and played for the Essendon VFL team in 1999, but was first picked by a different AFL club - Richmond. Essendon was unable to draft him due to their lack of draft picks that year, and so he spent 2000-2001 at Punt Road.

Haynes was clearly talented, but was also the kind of player who would take some time to develop, and was prone to lapses in concentration and discipline. Richmond cut him from their list at the end of 2001, and he was promptly rookied by Essendon, before being promoted to the senior list in 2003. He played some genuinely useful games in his time, and managed to play three finals, but he was consistently hampered by injury. He was delisted at the end of 2005, and went to play for West Adelaide in the SANFL, where he won the Best & Fairest in 2006.

He has since coached Silvan, and played for Marbynong Park (where he won a Grand Final) and Montmorency.

Last edited:

Haynes, Bullen and Alvey were three guys that Sheedy made me believe would revitalise our midfield.
The first two, yes.

Alvey remains, for me, one of the worst players I've seen in red and black and I never understood why we got him. Still don't get it.

Haynes could have been alright- any chance of that was destroyed by injury, though.

I worked with his mum a while back. she was a lovely lady. Apparently Essendon assured him that they were going to pick him up in that draft but didn't due to other players being avaliable that they thought wouldn't be there. I think he had talent but just wasn't used in the right way.

The first two, yes.

Alvey remains, for me, one of the worst players I've seen in red and black and I never understood why we got him. Still don't get it.

Haynes could have been alright- any chance of that was destroyed by injury, though.
Courtney Johns anyone?

Hilariously described as the next Mercuri on this board.

Had pretty good skills but seemed to lack poise and didn't win enough of his own footy.
I admit I was one who thought he could be a similar player. Had a lot to like about him early on. Smooth mover and was quite polished. Then the final against Freo showed he was schite under pressure. Finals make or break careers. Sure did for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Providing excitement does not equal a good footballer, though.

My overarching memory of Atkinson was him running heedlessly into a tackle in the Adelaide final and steadfastly refusing to bounce or dish off- he looked like he thought he was playing rugby.

I admit I was one who thought he could be a similar player. Had a lot to like about him early on. Smooth mover and was quite polished. Then the final against Freo showed he was schite under pressure. Finals make or break careers. Sure did for him.
I must admit I don't recall Haynes in that Freo final. Mainly because we demolished them.

What happened?

Providing excitement does not equal a good footballer, though.

My overarching memory of Atkinson was him running heedlessly into a tackle in the Adelaide final and steadfastly refusing to bounce or dish off- he looked like he thought he was playing rugby.
Quinn.

but seriously, i didn't mind Atkinson. had no defensive awareness, but could run and kick ok.

Quinn.

but seriously, i didn't mind Atkinson. had no defensive awareness, but could run and kick ok.
The irishman. How could I forget. The guy couldn't play football, yet somehow managed to play a game for us and final no less. He played a couple the next season from memory. Still remember being at that final and Crows supporters mocking him. It was such an empty feeling because he was that pathetic (through no fault of his own as he should not have been near the team).

Oh how I have forgotten the lost years where stupidity reigned supreme at our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back