Height: 188 cm

Weight: 82 kg

Playing number: 17

Arrived: Drafted with pick 19 in the 1993 AFL draft

Debut: Round 1 vs West Coast, 1994

Games: 11

Goals: 0

Departed: Delisted at the end of the 1997 season

A young gun who didn't live up to his apparent promise, Robert Stevenson was on the Essendon list for four years after being their first choice in the 1993 draft. Playing as a 17 year old, Stevenson began the year in the side in Round 1, intended to be a foil for fellow young defender Dustin Fletcher, but was in and out for the first half of the year until a hamstring injury ended his season. The following years included further injury woes, and he failed to impress in the handful of matches he got after two years out in 1997, leading to his delisting. He was picked up by Footscray for 1998 (after future Bomber Mark Alvey), but never got further than being named an emergency, and was delisted at the end of the season.

Previous PPotW threads can be found here.
I will try to reupload images for the majority of threads, which lost their host provider a while back.

My strongest memory of Stevenson was the god-awful nickname a commentator (I'm thinking Sandy Roberts) tried to bestow on him - "The Storyteller" ('cos of Robert Louis Stevenson of 'Treasure Island' fame).

It didn't take.

My strongest memory of Stevenson was the god-awful nickname a commentator (I'm thinking Sandy Roberts) tried to bestow on him - "The Storyteller" ('cos of Robert Louis Stevenson of 'Treasure Island' fame).

It didn't take.
I remember him being called Robert Louis Stevenson by the commentators.

He showed a lot of promise, but never came on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back