Weight: 79 kg

Playing number: 9 (1977-87), 45 (1991)

Arrived: Recruited from Homers FC, Horsham in 1976 via zoning

Debut: Round 5 vs North Melbourne, 1977

Games: 168

Goals: 39

Won: Premiership - 1984

Departed: Retired at the end of the 1991 season

Shane Heard was one of Kevin Sheedy's favourite players, with a reputation for hard work and taking opponents out of the game. Recruited from the wonderfully named Homers Football Club in Horsham, Heard made his Essendon debut in 1977, playing in only one win out of ten games. Capable of playing around the ground, Heard's jack-of-all-trades nature and penchant for commitment was greatly appealing to Sheedy, who figured out his best position - the tagger. This was most used to its most famous effect in the 1984 Grand Final, with Heard keeping his opponent, Robert DiPierdomenico, to 13 disposals while collecting 23 himself.

Heard could also be somewhat inconsistent, and never managed more than 18 games in a season, also missing out on the 1985 premiership by being an emergency. Despite this, it still came as a surprise to some when he announced his retirement in 1987, heading back to Horsham for three seasons before being recruited back by Sheedy for one last run around at the age of 32. After playing half the season, including the losing Elimination Final, Heard retired again, this time for good.

Last edited:
That's an honest man's haircut.

I remember him as a stopper who wouldn't care if he got zero possessions himself if it meant he'd curbed the influence of his opponent. A true team man who would do whatever it took to ensure team success.

Super fit, used the speedball like a demon. Quick, strong, committed team player.

Declared himself not 100% fit before the 85 GF if I recall correctly.

Two stories about Heard

- Spent his first three years as a speedy winger - Heard on one wing and Marsh on the other wing was a frustrating sight - heard used to run around in circles and Marsh would run backwards

- One day at the Junction Oval against Fitzroy - pre-game bet with my Fitzroy mates that Heard would run down Micky Conlan - Lo and behold Conlan charges off and Heard catches him to get a free - Unfortunately Heard pinged his hamstring.

I doubted that Hird would make it after his first three or four years, but Sheedy found him a position, and he flourished.

Really liked Shane Heard. Lots of pace and lots of skill. Made tagging an art form. IMO, was one of our best in the ‘84 triumph. Dipper blitzed us in the 2nd Semi, and Heard completely shut him out in the Granny - and got plenty of it himself.

He did declare himself not 100% fit for the ‘85 GF, giving his spot up for Steve Carey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back