Past Player of the Week - Tony Antrobus

Remove this Banner Ad

Tony Antrobus

jN7zUu6.png

DOB:
08/06/1962

Height: 174 cm

Weight: 72 kg

Playing number: 2 (1987-1989), 10 (1990)

Arrived: Drafted with pick 20 from North Adelaide in the 1982 VFL Draft, arrived in 1987

Debut: Round 1 vs West Coast, 1987

Games: 22

Goals: 26

Won: Margarey Medal - 1983
North Adelaide Team of the Century

Departed: Left for St Kilda at the end of 1990

Tony "The Ant" Antrobus is one of football's 'What if?' stories. An astonishingly quick midfielder-forward with excellent skills and good goal sense, Antrobus made his mark on the SANFL in his debut year, judged best afield in all three games he played for North Adelaide. It was a sign of things to come, for, although his 1982 was marred by injuries (also a sign of things to come), in 1983 he was the Margarey Medallist, winning by one vote over Bernie Conlon. He had already caught the eye of Essendon, who drafted him in the 1982 VFL draft, but it took until 1987 for the club to invite him to play for them, following his first injury free year since '83.

During his four years with the Bombers he could only get fit to play 22 games, not helped by six tribunal appearances, extending his nickname to "The Angry Ant". He played just the one game in his first year, and no games in '88. 1989 was his best year, playing 13 games, including all three finals. He was further injury riddled in 1990, and moved to St Kilda for 1991, where he played six more games. He returned to North Adelaide for one more season in 1992, but by this point his body could no longer let him be the player he should've been, and he retired at the end of the year.

Last edited:

I can't recall a great deal about Antrobus as he didn't get on the park enough. Given his injury history before he came over it has to be looked at as a selection that failed given he struggled to get on the park when here.

Some might refer to me possibly knowing a bit from the Adelaide connection but I grew up in Mt Gambier which was more influenced in football by Victoria than South Australia at the time (I assume still is too)

I remember Antrobus belting the suitcase out of a West Coast player (possibly Malaxos) at Windy Hill in '89. Right in front of us on the outer wing/forward pocket. He didn't even want to go for the ball, just the man and by geez he got him a beauty!! I also remember the Bomber fans couldn't stand him as he was just way too angry for his own good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should have read signed in 1982 but stayed in Adelaide. We also signed Craig Bradley as a 16yo from memory...
I think you might've had John Platten signed up too but for whatever reason he ended up at Hawthorn.

Anyway back on topic, I have a vague recollection of The Ant returning to SA in the early 90's but it was a bit of an anticlimax in the end.

Ha, never heard of it before today! Some interesting names there, many who ended up playing for clubs other than the ones they were drafted to much later in their careers - Hardie, Anderson, Fielke, Thomas, Motley. Makes you wonder what the point of it all was...perhaps that's why it got canned until the expansion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back