MUFC & HRT
SIGGINS-Sam-2012.jpg

DOB : 20/3/1993
Height : 194 CM
Weight : 82 KG
Former Club : Lauderdale
Pick 62 2012 Draft

Thanks to Tazwegian who has seen Sam play & for the info on Sam :thumbsu:

Pick #62 (Adelaide) - Sam Siggins: Siggins is a tall defender with good skills by hand and foot and elite endurance. At just 18 years of age, he already has a solid frame. He stands at 196cm and weighs 88 kilos, giving him a 2cm height and an 8 kilo weight advantage over fellow Tasmanian, and first round draftee from 2011, Henry Schade at the same age. He reads the play well and is excellent overhead and in one on one situations. Can play forward or back, but looks more likely as a spoiling and contested marking KPD. He is one of the better pure KPDs from this year's crop, and should be drafted within the first two rounds on talent. Siggins had a very strong year in the TSL, playing on more experienced and mature bodies and more than matching them for strength and ability.

Player Comparison: Ben Reid (Collingwood)
Predicted Draft range: 40-80

3 KILOMETRE TIME TRIAL Mins:secs

1. Joshua Kelly Vic Sandringham Dragons 09:48
2. Tom Clurey Vic Murray Bushrangers 10:01
3. Dominic Barry NT North Ballarat Rebels 10:09
4. Kamdyn McIntosh WA Peel Thunder 10:14
5. Jake Neade NT North Ballarat Rebels 10:16
6. Sean Hurley Ire Kildare 10:17
7. Tanner Smith Vic North Ballarat Rebels 10:18
8. Sam Siggins Tas Lauderdale 10:19

Yeah, I think after Plowman, Clurey, and Corr, he was the best of the rest of the KPDs. Doesn't have the burst athleticism of some of those guys, but his massive tank should hold him in good stead. It will be interesting how he develops in comparison to Schade. GoTassie and I suggested that he is probably a little ahead of Schade's development at the same age and Schade was a late first rounder. He seems to have the right attitude to make it at the next level also.

You crows are building a bit of a Tassie contingent now. Good to see :)

Thought I'd do a quick search of some of the more comprehensive BF Phantom drafts for some profiles of Sam and post them all here:

Pick #67 - Sam Siggins (KPD)
Height: 195cm
Weight: 82kg
Club: Lauderdale

Had Siggins lined up for one of my picks in the 40's until Corr slid through and he was too hard to pass up. To get this kid in the 60's. Was hoping one of 3 KPD's were going to be available here and as it turns out they all were so Siggins it is. Tall, lanky KPD from Tasmania who looks like filling out into a really nice size. Has a good mix between his defensive game as well as his attacking/rebounding game. His first priority seems to be to stop his man and then he will look to rebound once his main job is done. Doesn't get a heap of the ball but when he does his skills are very good for a tall defender. He reminds me of a young Richmond player in Dylan Grimes with his strong shutdown game but also surprisingly good skills when rebounding. Will fit in Sydney's no dickhead's policy with his strong leadership attributes. IMO Siggins is a great long-term replacement for Teddy Richards at full back and along with Sam Reid who is already at the club I feel like I've drafted a future spine for the club with Middleton, Reid, Lonergan, Corr, Siggins.

#46 Sydney (Via Gold Coast) - Sam Siggins (TAS – KPD)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 20/03/1994
Recruited from: Lauderdale
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 25-rookie
Profile: Has shown some ability mostly in the back half demonstrating a solid two way game. Siggins can mark or spoil and provide some rebound at times with his good running game for a tall. Can play on different sizes.
75. Essendon - Sam Siggins (194cm defender - Lauderdale)

I've been burnt by Tasmanian tall defenders in the past, but for some reason I just like the way they play. So I'll stick to my guns, and hope Siggins can help even out the score. The first thing you notice about him is his size, he is almost a perfect size for a KPD - he has the body to mix it up with the genuine tall forwards. Watch him play though, and he moves well enough to play as a third tall defender and he does provide enough run off of half back to be a threat going forward in that position. I think he might just quietly make a run up the draft order.
# 40 St Kilda
Sam Siggins
Lauderdale
196cm / 86cm / ‘94
Have seen a bit of this guy and he could be a bolter come draft day. Has all the attributes you want in a key tall. He is tall, is going to fill out, has a good 5-10 steps on him and uses the ball on the transition very well for his size. I dont rate many tall backs in this draft and he could be one that clubs say is one of the better ones. Harry Walshe might be another who gets looked at.

Fourth Round
#68 Hawthorn: Sam Siggins (Lauderdale) Height: 194cm Weight: 86kg D.O.B: 20/03/94

The Hawks may have recruited Lake but they still need more KPD’s. Siggins is probably the best available one left. He is a great size for a KPD but he also has very athletic attributes by providing run off of half-back and he can play on talls and smalls.

Took a big step forward I'm the absence of Hartigan today and will do good for his development. Think he can be playing beside Talia in the next 10 years.

With Truck gone, Otten injured, and the rest of our Key Defender candidates speculative at best, do we give Siggins first crack at the 3rd tall spot next year? Shaw is probably the one I'd give the job to initially, but I don't know enough about Siggo, and Shaw's durability will always be of great concern.

Can anyone sum up his year in 50 words or less?

Yup. Like Benny but can run and deliver too.

Truck could always deliver, had exceptional DE% by foot. Always felt safe when Truck delivered by foot

No issues with the Truck's disposal here. Thinking about "run and carry" delivery.

Fair enough. He did tend to bring his own quicksand with him...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Truck gone, Otten injured, and the rest of our Key Defender candidates speculative at best, do we give Siggins first crack at the 3rd tall spot next year? Shaw is probably the one I'd give the job to initially, but I don't know enough about Siggo, and Shaw's durability will always be of great concern.

Can anyone sum up his year in 50 words or less?

http://aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/116920/Sam-SIGGINS

Just looking through the brief reports, Siggins had bags of 8 and 6 kicked on him by ex Dee Michael Newton, but seemed to have a run of better games in R19-21. Think he's not quite ready to make the jump to AFL, but another pre-season will be telling.

Was always going to be a long term project player. Next he needs to take steps in getting a game at AFL level, to do that he needs to have a big pre-season. Would love a Siggins and Talia to have a partnership down back in the future.

Was always going to be a long term project player. Next he needs to take steps in getting a game at AFL level, to do that he needs to have a big pre-season. Would love a Siggins and Talia to have a partnership down back in the future.
How has Sam Siggins been playing in Tasmania. Always thought he would take time to mature but he was at the Club in difficult times and had a tough time. Wonder whether he has done enough to get a recall?

How has Sam Siggins been playing in Tasmania. Always thought he would take time to mature but he was at the Club in difficult times and had a tough time. Wonder whether he has done enough to get a recall?

Think given what happened in the year that he left and how it impacted him, Siggins is in a much better place at home. It is a real pity as he had a lot of potential but his well being is far more important

Think given what happened in the year that he left and how it impacted him, Siggins is in a much better place at home. It is a real pity as he had a lot of potential but his well being is far more important
So how did he go this year (2017). Saw photos of him and he has developed into a pretty impressive guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back