Delisted #14: Slammin' Sam Lonergan - Has announced his retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for everything Slammin' Sam, but especially for this.

It shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.

Another player I am sad to see go but fully understand and accept why. Hope he gets another shot somewhere he has worked bloody hard to stay around this long.
Very easy as a supporter to make calls on who should play and who should be cut as we chase success. But we have to remember that these players bust there guts day in and day out and even though they aren't superstars of the game they deserve alot of respect.

Goodluck Sammy hope you get another crack at it mate.

Sad to see him go. He was always a favourite.

Also, I'm not sure why there's so much joy shown towards that tackle. Sam obviously didn't mean to injure and I think those that are praising the tackle because of what happened are almost as bad as the Carlton people who were threatening Sam on twitter.

I think this is the right decision, but having said that, it's a shame to see him go.

I think it's fair to say that Sammy is not the most talented footballer kicking around, but he always gave his all.

Hope he gets a gig somewhere else.

He was a bit of battler, but he was one of my favourites as he always gave 100%.

Best memory of him is he kicking that goal after Hurley almost rolled into the point post against the Hawks in '09. Or the one against the Blues when Gumby centered it. So basically taking the glory from others! :p

What is the rush for sending this thread to the graveyard of threads in Essendon History?

It's still very relevant and all it creates is unnecessary discussion in other threads or new threads being created.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the rush for sending this thread to the graveyard of threads in Essendon History?

It's still very relevant and all it creates is unnecessary discussion in other threads or new threads being created.

What's wrong with talking about them in here?

I just don't get the love for this guy. i know he gives 100%. But on the other hand:

- he's completely useless outside of a stoppage situation
- that means he's never gonna get the ball upwards of 18 odd times a game
- now i understand 'quality over quantity'....but his clearance work is totally over-rated. he doesn't smash his way to the ball, break a tackle, use his speed to get away and put out a great kick to a leading forward. he positions himself well, the ball lands in his leap....and he snaps a kick out. It's a clearance. It's 50/50 whether the ball stays with us. It's not good enough. A broken clock....

I just don't get the love. He's like Slattery. He was serviceable when we were shitty. He is not part of a top 4 team.

I mean, he could dramatically improve. But he's 25. I think you guys forget that. You treat him like Robert Walls treated Jarrod Waite. You know, going on about how this kid could be a star and all that, when Waite was already ****ing 25.

Explain me to why you love him, cause outside of giving 100%, like Mark Bolton and Kepler Bradley did, I don't understand it

The stats will say he had (at least) 3 clearances in the last quarter tonight. Immediately you'd think "YES! Gun play!".... They were all the same clearance. The ball landed in his leap, he snaped the ball to a 50/50, maybe 2 on 1 due to a loose man behind play. We even got the better of the 50/50 once or twice, but really, we're better off just leaving the ball at the stoppage and hoping we somehow land a free-kick or something.

Rant still holds up. Which is surprising because almost none of my posts stand the test of time. anyway, seems a shame a good guy ends up at richmond

Good luck to Sammy, always enjoyed his attack on the ball and opposition. Could not quite understand that teams were supposedly interested in someone like Prismall when this guy was available. Good pick up by the Tigers.

Good luck at Richmond Sammy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back