Past player - Steve Malaxos (1987 - 1991)

Remove this Banner Ad

Steve Malaxos

21922.jpg

DOB: 19/6/1961

Height: 177cm

Weight: 83 kg

Playing number: 8

Arrived: As a foundation selection in 1986, from Claremont

Debut: Round 1, 1987 vs Richmond – 14th Eagles player.

Games: 66

Goals: 30

Won: Club Champion Award in 1987
All Australian in 1988

Departed: Delisted at the end of the 1991 season.

A prolific midfielder, Malaxos was a highly-decorated WAFL player before becoming a member of the fledgling West Coast side in 1987. Malaxos had won a premiership, a Sandover Medal and two club best and fairests at Claremont as well as selection in the 1986 All-Australian team. He also won a VFL reserves premiership during a season at Hawthorn in 1985, but managed only 9 senior games in a strong Hawks outfit and returned to Claremont at the end of the year.

Having been secured by West Coast for their inaugural season (which required payment of a large clearance fee to Hawthorn), Malaxos made his debut in the opening round win over Richmond and went on to play 21 games for the year. He put in some eye-catching performances over that year, none more so than the final round win over St Kilda when he picked up an astonishing 48 touches (which remains a club record) and added 2 goals.

Due to injury Malaxos played just 2 of the first 14 games in 1988. He returned to play the last 8 regular season games and garnered 33 disposals in West Coast’s first ever final, a loss to Melbourne.

Injuries again restricted him in 1989, limiting him to just 12 games. Despite that, he was named as the successor to Murray Rance as captain of the club in 1990. He responded with another strong season, playing 20 games during the home and away rounds and picking up 11 Brownlow votes, including maximum votes for his roles in wins over Richmond and Sydney. However, injury hit in the latter part of the year and Malaxos struggled through the drawn qualifying final against Collingwood and the replay. With coach Mick Malthouse considering that Malaxos’ body couldn’t be relied upon to withstand the rigours of finals footy, he was controversially dropped for the sudden-death semi final against Melbourne and replaced as captain by John Worsfold.

Malaxos would never play for West Coast again, spending the entire 1991 season in the WAFL before being delisted. Following his delisting Malaxos moved from Claremont to East Fremantle, where he won premierships in 1992 and 1994 as his former Eagles teammates did likewise in the AFL. Malaxos later moved into coaching, having roles as an assistant at Sydney and later Fremantle.

Where is he now? Senior coach at East Fremantle, after a stint as their colts coach.

Re: Past player of the week - Steve Malaxos

Stavros!! Was also AA captain in 1984.

Can't believe we haven't got him down as a small forwards coach. The dude kicked 173 goals for Claremont in 1981 and 1982 as a small forward who wasn't the first choice spearhead.

Could teach our guys a thing or two about getting in position, although we seem to be doing alright this season so far.

Re: Past player of the week - Steve Malaxos

He put in some eye-catching performances over that year, none more so than the final round win over St Kilda when he picked up an astonishing 48 touches (which remains a club record) and added 2 goals.

Good for a massive 167 DT points :)

It is a very impressive footy resume' .. but some of the stats around State of Origin/Australian Football Championships were a bit fuzzy, please feel free to suggest any corrections.
If anyone out there knew him at all i'd love to hear your stories, i just loved him so much as kid!

Claremont Football Club (1979 – 1984, 1986, 1990 – 1991)
Played 151 games, kicked 300 goals & totalled 29 Sandover Medal votes
1981 Premiership, kicking 5 goals
1983 & 1984 E.B. Cooke Medal (Club Champion)
1986 - Captain of the Club

1986 - Sandover Medallist

1984 - West Australian Sports Star of the Year
1984 - Reserves & Night Premiership player at Hawthorn, played 9 games

1984 (Captain), 1986 & 1987 Represented Western Australia at the Australian Football Championships - Champions in 1984 & 1986
1984, 1986 & 1990 – Captain of Western Australian State of Origin Team

1986 & 1988 (only W.A. representative) All Australian Team

West Coast Eagles Football Club (1987 – 1990)
Played 66 games & kicked 30 goals
1987 – West Coast Eagles Inaugural Club Champion
1990 - Captain of the Club
1987 – 48 possessions in Round 22 v St. Kilda, still the club record

1988 – Represented Western Australia in the Adelaide Bicentennial Carnival
1990 – Represented Australia v Ireland International Rules Series

East Fremantle Football Club (1991 – 1998)
Played 138 games, kicked 70 goals & totalled 100 Sandover Medal votes
1991, 1994 & 1995 Lynn Medal (Club Champion)
1992 – 1997 Captain of the Club
1992 & 1994 Premierships

1998 – Coached the East Fremantle Reserves
1999 - Coached the Sydney Swans Reserves
2004 - 2009 Assistant Coach at Fremantle
2005 - Inducted into the Western Australian Football Hall of Fame
2010 - Coached the East Fremantle Colts to a Premiership
2011 – 2015 Coach of East Fremantle Senior side

2020 & 2021 - Coached Scotch College to back-to-back PSA Premierships

Last edited:
When I first started playing footy as a kid down in Mount Barker, this guy was my idol.
We were in the Claremont catchment area, and i wore his number 8 on every footy jumper i ever owned.

Then in 1987, with the introduction of the West Coast Eagles into the VFL, we became the Mount Barker Eagles, and I couldn't have been happier!

Malaxos was in the Inaugural Team, took out the first ever Fairest & Best, and captained the team in 1989, my hero..

I finally met him a few weeks ago, after all these years, at the National Hotel in Freo, and got to shake his hand, and tell him how much he meant to me as a young kid starting out in footy!
Malaxos1.PNG Malaxos3.PNG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back