Delisted Tom Curren

Remove this Banner Ad

CURREN%20Tom.png

Born: 29 Jul 1992
Height: 178 cm.
Weight: 76 kg.

Curren was the Saints first selection at the 2010 NAB AFL Rookie Draft. He has represented the Dandenong Stingrays at TAC Cup level across the past two seasons, playing 11 games and averaging 18 disposals per match in 2010. A small midfielder, he was a member of the Stingrays 2010 TAC Cup grand final side.

Continuing the overall strategy from the 2010 NAB AFL Draft, Lyon and the St Kilda recruiting department focused on midfielders, who they hope will add further speed and skill to the current group of players.

“First pick was Tom Curren (number 24) from the Dandenog Stingrays, who we had also looked at for the National Draft” Lyon said. “He’s 178cms, has strong endurance and makes really good decisions.”

“I just spoke to him then over the phone and he’s very excited. He lives down near the new Linen House Centre at Frankston as well, so that is going to be really handy for him when we start to train there early next year.“

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/113757/default.aspx

With his sights set on eventually breaking into the St Kilda senior side, Curren understands that AFL football is a tough environment.

So after playing as a midfielder throughout the majority of his junior football, Curren is now focused on becoming a more versatile player.

“I want to get as many strings to my bow as I can, so I want to try a lockdown defensive role and work my way to becoming more of a small utility,” he said.

“Growing up, towards the end of juniors and the under 18’s TAC Cup program I was always played as a midfielder who was rested forward.”

“Obviously midfield is where I like to play the most, but when needed I’d like to be able have the ability to go back and play a defensive role as well as going forward,” added Curren.

“My goal this season is just to play consistent good football in the VFL and continue to work towards the future possibility of playing AFL,” said Curren.

Since joining the Saints, Curren said that he has worked closely with his mentor, Andrew McQualter, while also observing how classy midfielders Nick Dal Santo and Leigh Montagna train and play.

“Mini (McQualter) is my mentor and he has been pretty good to me. He’s someone I don’t feel awkward talking to about different things and he’s always there for me to have a chat.”

“As a part of our ‘Earn or Learn’ program at the Club, I’m doing a Certificate 4 in Sport and Recreation at the Dandenong Basketball Stadium.”

Tom Curren = 178cm flanker for Dandenong Stingrays.
Tom Curran = 195cm CHB for the Oakleigh Chargers, probable Hawks F/S and ineligible for the 2010 draft.

How is that even possible?

Tom Curren = 178cm flanker for Dandenong Stingrays.
Tom Curran = 195cm CHB for the Oakleigh Chargers, probable Hawks F/S and ineligible for the 2010 draft.

How is that even possible?

Lolwut. Is there like a news article or anything on this?

So did we want to pick up the tall one? And ended up with a mid?

Trololol. Be great if he ends up a gun.

Ridiculous comment. Lyon's comments:

“First pick was Tom Curren (number 24) from the Dandenong Stingrays, who we had also looked at for the National Draft. He’s 178cms, has strong endurance and makes really good decisions.”

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/125668/default.aspx

Tom Curren ... (is) making the most of his time off, working hard to make important physical inroads and put his hand up for senior selection in season 2012.

“I didn’t want to get too out of shape and wanted to get back [to the club] as soon as I could because I enjoy keeping myself in good condition.”

“At the start of my break I started just doing off-legs on the bike, boxing and some swimming and I’ve now started my running program.”

After spending his first year at the Saints on the rookie list, Curren outlined that pushing for a debut in season 2012 strongly motivated him to train hard.

“It’s great to have such a great facility so close to home for me. It’s just 10 minutes in the car and I can use the state of the art facilities and put myself in really good stead for season 2012."

midfielders win premierships and we managed to get a really good one in the rookie draft.
like anything, you have to be patient but i'm just stoked that we've found a genuine keeper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Curren #43

TC played 10 games in the VFL seniors last year and 6 in the reserves, but had a huge pre-season in preparation for 2012:

http://www.velocitysports.com.au/default.asp?PageID=2029

"I didn't want to get too out of shape and wanted to get back as soon as I could because I enjoy keeping myself in good condition. At the start of my break I started just doing off-legs on the bike, boxing and some swimming and I've now started my running program. I'm really looking forward to 2012, I'm just gearing up and trying to get myself prepared so that I can hopefully crack into the side for my first game. It's great to have such a great facility so close to home for me. It's just 10 minutes in the car and I can use the state of the art facilities.”

He got a very brief run in the NAB Cup, before playing 19 senior VFL games - and was in the best 8 times in averaging around 19 possessions - and won Sandringham’s B&F:

http://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/news.aspx?id=71

Going into the final game (Elimination Final) Curren & Cook (72) trailed Cockie (77) by 5 votes, Curren polled 10 votes for his 25 disposals and 2 goals in the game while Cockie could only manage 3 votes and Cook 2 votes. It is only the 2nd time at Sandringham (since the alignments began in 2000) where an AFL listed player has won the award. Curren predominantly played through the middle but also took on some tagging roles, most notably his impressive performance against reigning Liston Trophy winner Shane Valenti in Round 14 when he kept Valenti’s impact to a minimum.

Curren has been retained on the rookie list for a third season, and his positive attitude should see continued development and TC on the senior list at some stage during 2013:

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/149146/default.aspx

Curren “It’s good to work hard and get rewarded, so hopefully (the B&F win) will keep pushing me and help me to achieve my goals in the future.”

Tony Elshaug "He is very diligent and his preparation is second to none. It’s in the Dempster and Jones mould ... so its no surprise that he is continuing to perform well in his football and keep pushing his case to play at a senior level. He is a fine young man that will get the best out of himself - before he was recruited you could see in his eyes that he was a determined young guy and you could tell he was going to do all the work.”

images

"When [Markworth] first went down - it's not something that automatically springs to mind, it's more of a sympathy feeling on my behalf," Curren told AFL.com.au.

"But obviously [elevation] can become a possibility and at the moment I'm more just worrying about playing good football.

"There's still a long way to go and there's potentially another couple of rookies who are able to be elevated as well.

"At the moment I'm just trying to finish off the last few weeks of pre-season and begin the year well with Sandringham, and then hopefully string a few good games together like I did in the latter part of last year. 

"And then who knows what the future may hold."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-13/saint-curren-hoping-to-march-in

Persistence finally pays off for Cat!

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-07-18/43

AFTER two and a half years on the St Kilda rookie list, Tom Curren will make his AFL debut against Port Adelaide on Saturday night.
Curren was elevated to the St Kilda senior list on Thursday, replacing Sam Fisher who has been ruled out for the season with a foot injury.

I like how the link is just '43'.

And crazy to think how young he still is. Still only 20 years old, younger than Markworth and just 6 months older than Newnes. Feels like he's been around much longer than that.

This kid can bloody play. Wow. Watching Swans vs Saints right now. He's quick, a decent kick and knows how to find the ball. You guys got a gem in the rookie draft!

Have been a big fan of this kid for a while now. Very, very early, but I predict some big things in his future.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-08-22/curren-coming-along-nicely

Curren “You learn how hard they work when they don’t have the football and the positions they get to. Their running patterns without the football as well, so if they can’t influence one contest they are already working out how they can influence the next contest."

“It is about being more proactive in my game rather than reactive so I am trying to learn as much as I can in that aspect.”

"(Watters) says he believes in me and I just have to believe in myself because he believes I’m able to compete with them. He has given me enormous confidence.”

“We do have a good core group of mates at the moment ... We do try to stick together and it would be great if we could all have long careers at the club.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back