Delisted Tom Lee

Remove this Banner Ad

God Save Max King

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Tom Lee was traded to St Kilda during the 2012 Gillette AFL Trade Period.

Tom Lee
Recruited From: Claremont WAFL
Height: 195cm Weight: 94kg
DOB: 2nd January 1991
WAFL Games: 46 WAFL Goals: 82
Player honours: 2011 and 2012 Claremont FC Premiership teams
Draft history: 2008 AFL National Draft - Pick 60 (Adelaide Crows FC)

Lee's WAFL Career stats:

Matches: 46
Kicks: 410 (ave 8.9)
Handballs: 185 (AVE 4.0)
Marks: 239 (AVE 5.2)
Disposals: 595 (AVE 12.9)
Tackles: 50 (AVE 1.1)
Goals: 82

Those are pretty good statistics considering he played as a defender for the majority of his WAFL Career. 60 goals in 16 games I think this season as a forward, great return.

Just a summary of recent articles for future reference:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/after-staggering-lee-finds-his-feet-20121004-272as.html

Lee was 17 when he was drafted by Adelaide four years ago. He wasn't desperate to be drafted, he wasn't entirely ready to move away from Perth and he knows exactly why the club delisted him less than 12 months after calling his name out.

"I pretty much put it down to a lack of maturity. I was a long, long way off being ready for it.''

Things are different now. Lee kicked 70 goals this year playing for Claremont in the West Australian league and the Foxtel Cup. He's a bit bigger, a bit stronger and much fitter than he was when Adelaide chose him at No. 60 in the 2008 draft.

''There was a physical side to it, because even now I think my body still has a long way to go, but mentally I couldn't really handle the pressure,''

''It's the kind of thing I can handle comfortably now, but back then I couldn't deal with being in such a professional environment where, with every mistake you make, you're wondering: how will people view that? To go straight from a really nurturing environment at home into a situation where you have to do every single thing right, and be professional and disciplined, was something I found hard.''

"It made me realise how much harder I had to work and where my attitude was at. 'Not getting that second year was a blessing in disguise because it made me go home and get my head right."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/dep...o-secure-tom-lee/story-fn69a32t-1226490784785

Lee, 21, was drafted by Adelaide with pick 60 in 2008, but returned home after one season of his two-year contract because the Crows felt he was not ready.

An agile tall forward capable of the spectacular, he is originally from the WA Wheatbelt town of Dowerin, population 350, where Hawthorn's Lance "Buddy" Franklin grew up and attended high school.

He kicked 60 goals in a premiership season with Claremont, and was also was best afield with six goals in the Tigers' victory over Werribee in the Foxtel Cup final at Patersons Stadium in August.

"This was a breakout year for Tom where he developed into a dominant forward in the WAFL competition," St Kilda coach Scott Watters said. "He was also a key contributor in Claremont's premiership side. Talented, mobile forwards are hard to come by, so he is a great acquisition to our team."

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2012-11-14/new-saints-unveiled.default?

Watters “The immediate thing you notice is the size. Tom is 195cm and we expect him to develop into a key forward as he progresses"

“He is still developing his craft but based on what he has been able to do over the last 12-18 months, there is no doubting what he can potentially deliver. He just needs to add the work on top of that now which he’s got his teeth into.”

will lee get a game soon? he's been on my SC bench for ages
Back from injury last week and is yet to have a good run of games. There's a few ahead of him right now (Maister, Siposs, Hickey) so will need a good run at Sandy to push for a spot. I'm sure we'll see him during the second half of the year.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-07-16/lee-staying-grounded

Tom Lee “I’ve got a very, very long way to go in terms of my fitness, and I think defensively I can get a lot better, but it’s a step in the right direction."

Watters acknowledged he would improve with “two, three or four weeks of match conditioning,” saying, “he probably went for two and a half quarters today in all reality. But hopefully he can build on that and with another pre-season he can be a good player."

Lee knows fitness and match conditioning will come with time and exposure to senior football, so from week to week, his main goal is to make sure his effort doesn’t waiver.

“As long as I play my role, don’t get ahead of myself and don’t measure my game on goals and disposals and stuff like that, hopefully I can have an impact on the side.”

Note he raised the Casey game - have to admit I was very worried after seeing him shank every shot.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1693987/alternative-lee/?cs=12

A statistic passed on by his Twitter-friendly mother serves as a greater sign of progress.

''As a tall marking forward, they rightfully said I wasn't bringing nearly enough strength to the contest and enough grit.'' Watters also pointed him to the weights room, and Lee feels results are starting to show on both fronts.

His mother's tweet (showed that) n the previous month, Champion Data ranked Lee a clear No.1 in the AFL for retaining inside 50s directed at him, keeping the ball 81 per cent of the time, and he leads the Saints over the past five games for inside 50 targets (27) and marks inside 50 (14).

''The boys would be stupid not to look for Rooey, he gives us such a great contest, [but] if they're using me just as a much as him I'm obviously very flattered and honoured."

Lee says a windy pre-season game that reaped five behinds at Casey was a red alert and he and Paul Hudson have been tweaking his action ever since.

''On my walk in, because I practise it so much, I know exactly how many steps I'm taking and I tell myself, 'You've done this 1000 times before, you will kick the goal'.

''The reason I keep my head down is I can feel as soon as it hits my foot where it's going. I don't have to look at it, I know already. It does look a bit ridiculous, a bit over-accentuated, but while it's working I'm just going to stick to it. I'll run my head along the ground if I have to.''

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-08-09/lee-praises-mentor-kosi

Tom Lee has paid tribute to mentor Justin Koschitzke.

"Justin Koschitzke has been a massive help in getting me on the right track.He's a bloke who enjoys helping and mentoring young players."

"His wealth of knowledge is massive and if he wanted to take the path he would make a very good coach one day."

Lee was dropped after St Kilda's Anzac Day loss to the Sydney Swans in New Zealand and told by coach Scott Watters he needed to add strength and provide a better contest.

The extra 4kg gained in the weights room has helped him over the past five weeks.

"For me at the moment it's about building trust among my teammates and getting them to know that I'm going to go every time for them."

"That's going to be massive for me over the next four weeks."

#9 Tom Lee

I’d have to say I was a little worried after watching Lee kick 0.5 in a NAB Cup game, given many of the shots were lucky to register a behind.

He then struggled badly in the early part of the year, although he did take 7 marks (2 goals) in round 1 of the VFL.

This earned him an AFL game, although the two games (round 3 and 5, rested in round 4) suggested this was premature.

An achilles injury had been sustained, and he returned in the VFL 3 weeks later (with limited effect - the Zebs ending up giving him a run in the ruck against Bendigo).

He was in the best players two weeks later (after a bye), although this was as much because there were few good players that day in a 65-point loss.

His game the following week was poor (8 possessions and 0.1), and had me scratching my head again. It didn’t seem as though he had any mobility, and was getting out-jumped by smaller players.

This continued the next round (4 possessions) and he was rested again. His next VFL game didn’t inspire alot of confidence (10 possessions and 0.1), but the Saints had little choice with Kosi being dropped after the Richmond game, Maister injured, and Riewoldt having a pre-planned rest.

Well, 6 marks and 3 goals over at subi against Freo was a surprise – and we saw the results of some tinkering that he had been doing with Paul Hudson on his kicking action.

There was no going back to the VFL. His next 4 AFL games yielded 9 goals (including 16 possessions against Brisbane with 2 goal assists).

The opposition got tougher, although he had 10 possessions, 4 marks, and 2 score assists against Hawthorn before a quiet one at the tight SCG ground.

He capped off the year well with 7 marks and 3 goals in the “farewell game”, and showed that he was well worth the “huge” investment of pick 12 (which also generated 2 strong prospects in Wright and Saunders – of course we don’t want these facts getting in the way of a good story).

16.7 was a very reasonable return over his last 8 AFL games, with 6 score assists as well.

Hopefully he can improve on that after the 23yo completes his second pre-season at the Saints.

Tom+Lee+AFL+Rd+17+St+Kilda+v+Port+Adelaide+y51IQ6RC4KZl.jpg

Will be a gun but needs to lose the gut, put quality muscle on the frame & get the endurance up.

He knows this. Let's hope when we see him next his body shape has transformed into an AFL footballer's. Certainly has the footy smarts!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should be right for Round 1, correct?

Had to reassure the girlfriend he wasn't running laps 'because he was in trouble'. :p
Going by what I saw yesterday I wouldn't think being ready for R1 would be any trouble, all things being equal. Didn't look at all troubled by his shoulders when marking at full stretch and did a chunk of the training until they started full ground contact work. Thought he looked really good, sharp and energetic prior to that. Was also very happy to see that he didn't have anything on his calf, which I believe gave him a fair bit of trouble last season and which he had some sort of tape on in his games late in the season.

Good. Tom Lee's worth to us will be proven in a couple of years when our forward line is settled and developing together.

Now this has been leaked i reckon we'll hear more contract re-signings from the club very soon. (Hope anyway)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back