Height: 189cm

Weight: 100 kg

Playing number: 40

Arrived: Drafted at pick 3 in the 2001 pre-season draft, from East Perth

Debut: Round 1, 2001 vs Geelong – 137th Eagles player

Games: 37

Goals: 83

Won: Club leading goalscorer in 2001

Departed: Delisted at the end of the 2003 season.

A cult figure during his all-too-brief time at West Coast, Wilson was an extremely late starter in AFL ranks after being drafted at the ripe old age of 28.

Wilson’s WAFL career had similarly suffered a delayed start. He was 24 by the time he made his debut with West Perth. Having crossed to the Royals for the 2000 season, he was surprisingly picked up at the end of the season to provide an alternative to a fading (metaphorically) Scott Cummings.

Not overly tall for a key forward but extremely physically imposing, Wilson was a formidable presence for opposition defenders to contend with due to his ability to crash the pack. If he didn’t take the mark it was a fair bet that he’d at least take out an opponent or three.

Having taken his time to break into the big league, Wilson took little time in making his mark. In just his third game, he took 15 marks and kicked 7 goals against St Kilda and received 3 Brownlow votes.

Wilson finished his debut season with 40 goals, winning the club’s goalkicking. He started 2002 in even better form, kicking 6, 5 and 4 in the first three rounds to be on Coleman Medal pace, before his season was interrupted by injury. Despite managing just 14 games, he kicked 38 goals for the year to finish just 8 goals short of Phil Matera for the club goalkicking.

By the time the 2003 season started Wilson was 31 years old and he struggled for selection. He played just 5 games for the year and was delisted at the end of the season.

Wilson returned to East Perth where he overcame a bout of chronic fatigue to win the Bernie Naylor Medal as the WAFL’s leading goalkicker in 2006.

Where is he now? Following his other love, motorsport, Wilson has spent the last few years driving sprintcars as well as competing in the Targa West rally.

Re: Past player of the week - Troy Wilson

I loved the way he destroyed packs when he hit them. By God did he hit them hard. He was fearsome on the football field; had opponents dribbling s**t down their leg when he came charging at them or the ball.

If an opponent was in his way, they were in for a world of hurt. His style spoke for him as if to say to an opponent: if you touch, or even go near, that ball, I'm going to kill you.

I loved watching him play; one of my favourite Eagle's to watch.

I loved the way he destroyed packs when he hit them. By God did he hit them hard. He was fearsome on the football field; had opponents dribbling s**t down their leg when he came charging at them or the ball.

If an opponent was in his way, they were in for a world of hurt. His style spoke for him as if to say to an opponent: if you touch, or even go near, that ball, I'm going to kill you.

I loved watching him play; one of my favourite Eagle's to watch.
This. Will always be a favourite of mine from those dark days of the early 2000's.

I remember one Western Derby when he crashed into a pack and sent 3 Freo players flying like ninepins.

Great stuff.

One of my favourite players growing up :thumbsu:

I was quite young during the Judge years and don't remember that many of the players who played back then besides the players who stuck around for many years. I do remember Wilson though, the way he crashed packs and took out everything in his way was awesome.

I played with him at Nollamara AFC before he went to West Perth, his dad played over 300 games and was an old fashioned knuckleman. Troy was actually fairly soft when he first started but in 1994 he went into the ruck and dominated winning the association medal. Went to West Perth the year after, loved doing weights but didn't like running much. Had some real problems with shin splints in his early days at WAFL.

There was one game against the Saints in 2001 when he took out Kosi and Reiwoldt, the commentator (most likely cometti) stated " Didak must be nervous" or something like that. With those 3 being 1-3 of the draft in the previous year. If you think about he actually cost Judd the rising star because Reiwoldt didn't play for the rest of the season.

A lot of his problems with Worsfold was his lack of 2nd effort, basically if he didn't mark he was out of the play. Rumour has it that when Woosha asked him about the 2nd efforts, he said that he had put 100% into the 1st effort.

I used to call him 'Troy the tractor,' because he was big, and because of the way he'd mow the opposition down and lay them out.

me and my mates used to call him the "shaved ape" because we were certain that the west coast recruiting staff got a gorrila from the zoo and shaved him given his age at debut (plus the way he would just iron people out)

I remember when the Footy Show were reviewing lists prior to Wilson's first season, and Garry Lyon took the absolute piss out of us because we'd drafted a 27 year old player he hadn't heard of.

West Coast Eagles - ahead of the curve in so many ways!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good old Willo. He was there to **** s**t up.

was great watching Wilo. I remember doing a sports science degree at the time, and in one of our lectures, a mad keen Eagles supporter asked the lecturer why Troy Wilson couldnt kick straight from set shots :p

Still remember Wilson crashing a pack against North Melbourne and leaving a couple of their players down and out. Brilliant, insane stuff. The guy was big and powerful, but what made him genuinely dangerous was his speed. He was really quick for a big guy so he had a lot of force when he smashed a pack.

I used to share a house with his brother, but at the time I didn't know they were related. One time we were watching an Eagles game and Troy kept running under the ball when he was leading. I, of course, being the armchair expert, started to rant: "Bloody Wilson, he does that every *ing week..." but before I could put my foot well and truly in it, my housemate mentioned that they were brothers.

"...and it's the damn midfielders' fault for misjudging his speed and kicking over his head," I finished.

Save.

Great player to, had no fear at all , if i remember correctly everyone used to call him the road train.

I think he played a few games for the East Perth reserves this year.:thumbsu:

monster of a guy [YOUTUBE]1PGoE6NGD_A[/YOUTUBE]

Great player to, had no fear at all , if i remember correctly everyone used to call him the road train.

Nah thats a different guy with the same name.

Used to love watching this guy play at AFL level and in the WAFL though :thumbsu:

I remember this guy. I do remember I was annoyed that he took Cummings spot as full forward of the team. I also remember Judge refused to play with Cummings and Wilson in the same team which led to Cummings leaving.

I always thought Cummings was the better player. But geez Wilson did split a pack hard.

No, that was another Troy Wilson. A very different one - a tiny aboriginal boy who would be about half Willo's size. I loved watching Willo play - our own players would have to have eyes in the backs of their heads too, as he would take out anyone when on a lead - friend or foe. Was a highlight of those dark days.

I recall a visit to the WCE training facilities with the State 18,s squad in either 2000 or 2001 and having a fairly in depth conversation with Glen Stewart on weights programs. He told me and several others, about Troy not being able to do squats with weights that his female athletes did regularly and with ease. He was dead serious.
Hard to believe given the size of the bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back