Tyson Edwards
#9 Adelaide Crows
Games: 266
Born: August 6, 1976
Origin: West Adelaide
Height: 178cm
Weight: 81kg
Position: Midfield

Tyson Edwards made his AFL debut in 1995 after having started his senior career with West Adelaide in the SANFL.
He was snared by the Crows with the 21st pick at the 1995 pre-season draft and although he took some time to
establish himself as a team regular, he played in the 1997 and 1998 premierships.
He has been an adaptable and versatile performer, playing in defence, through the midfield and as a small forward.
But in the past couple of years he has spent the majority of his time as a key part of the midfield rotation. He is
arguably the most underrated player in the AFL.

2007 Home & Away Totals

Season/Career Highs from Footywire

Matches: 22
Goals: 6
Marks: 122
Disposals: 548
Kicks: 329

Awards Honours

2nd best and fairest 2002, 2003 2006; 3rd best and fairest 2004;
International Rules series 2002; premiership sides 1997, 1998, pre-season
premiership side 2003

AFC Profile Page

Final Siren Stats

****Courtesy of AC9****

Re: #9 - Tyson Edwards

Tyson's magical mystery

ANDREW CAPEL | March 14, 2008 01:00am

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/afl/story/0,26547,23372562-5014664,00.html

• TYSON Edwards doesn't know what his role will be this year - and he couldn't be happier.
As one of Adelaide's greats prepares to play his 300th official game against the Western Bulldogs in round one - which carries with it AFL life membership - Edwards appears as lively as a two-year-old colt before its first race.
"I am pretty excited about this year," he said.
"I feel pretty fresh, not knowing where I'm going to be playing."
Far from being concerned at what looks like being a diminished midfield role - where he has starred this decade - 31-year-old Edwards is looking forward to the unknown.
"I think it's good sometimes to not know exactly where you are playing," the dual Crows premiership player said.
"I like the idea of not knowing who you are playing on, or what your role is. It allows you to come in fresh and I think that way you can play with a little bit more flair and not be too tied down with how you are meant to play, who you are meant to play on, all those sorts of things."
Used sparingly in the NAB Cup, Edwards - like ace team-mates Simon Goodwin and Andrew McLeod - will be slowly fazed out as a prime on-baller and used in various other roles, such as a forward goalsneak and playmaking defender, as coach Neil Craig trials his new-generation midfield.
"It will be good to play different roles," said Edwards, whose 299 games include 266 for the Crows, 30 pre-season matches, one State-of-Origin and two International Rules games.
"It probably takes me back to when I first started (in 1995). I played lots of different roles then and it's been good to play in the forward line a bit (during the NAB Cup) - I haven't played there much for a few years - and to spend a bit of time down back as well."
Edwards is ready to give some of his younger team-mates more midfield responsibility but suspects he will still spend his fair share of time in the middle.
"I think you'll see myself, Goody and Andrew playing a little bit more in the midfield than we have (in the pre-season) because there will be less rotations because of the smaller numbers on the bench," he said.
"But I'll definitely be playing a bit more up forward and maybe down back this year than I have in the past. Where I play is up to Craigy to work out but I'm pretty confident I can perform wherever he needs me."
Edwards, who has had a wonderful career after debuting for Adelaide in 1995, is in the final year of his contract but wants to play for at least another season. "I actually feel pretty good," he said.
"I get reminded daily how old I am by the young guys but I've managed myself pretty well this pre-season and would like to think I've got another year in me."
So would the Crows.

I hope he does.

["I get reminded daily how old I am by the young guys but I've managed myself pretty well this pre-season and would like to think I've got another year in me."
So would the Crows.

I hope he does.[/quote]

So do I

Congrats to Edwards being awarded AFL Life Membership! :thumbsu:

http://afc.com.au/tabid/4417/Default.aspx?newsid=71569

AFL honour for Edwards

Adelaide’s Tyson Edwards is among 10 new AFL Life Members.

He will inducted at the 2009 Annual General Meeting in March for their services to Australian Football, after having their award confirmed by the AFL Commission.

Of the new Life Members, seven qualified automatically during the 2008 AFL season by reaching 300 games of service - those being Adelaide's Tyson Edwards, North Melbourne's Brent Harvey, Sydney's Michael O'Loughlin, Richmond's Matthew Richardson, Melbourne's Adem Yze and senior field umpiring pair Shane McInerney and Stephen McBurney.

The Commission also recognised outstanding service to the game by three people and awarded Life Membership to AFL Legend of the Game Darrel Baldock, former AFL Commissioner Colin Carter and former Hawthorn President Ian Dicker.

St Kilda's Gary Colling has also been awarded the Jack Titus Service Award for Conspicuous Service to the game for more than 40 years as a player, coach and adminstrator.

AFL Chief Executive Officer Andrew Demetriou said the Commission was delighted to be recognising 11 outstanding contributors to the game.

"Life Membership of the sport you have served is the ultimate acknowledgement by everyone in the game of your efforts," Mr Demetriou said.

"Our new inductees are extremely deserving and have done so much in the game to make our sport as strong as it is.

"The AFL, on behalf of our Commission and our clubs, congratulates each of our new life members on their accomplishments and we look forward to formally acknowledging them at the AGM just before the launch of the 2009 Toyota AFL Premiership Season."

Edwards has played 289 AFL games, 30 pre-season games, one State-of-Origin match and two International Rules games.

are some people bloody blind?
tysons like one of our best players
he is like awesome and he puts it in every game ;)

Edwards flying under the radar

DESPITE the remarkable achievements of Michael Collins during the world's greatest adventure, few people have heard of him, and yet those who sat next to him are better known than the Collingwood Football Club.

Collins was the module pilot of Apollo 11, while Neil Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin became the first to walk on the moon — 40 years ago on July 20.

We often don't know those in the background, no matter how important their job or achievement. Tyson Edwards is one of those guys. We know him and have applauded his on-field football mastery, but he's always been in the background at Adelaide behind such teammates as Andrew McLeod, Mark Ricciuto and Ben Hart.

Next Sunday, against Essendon at Etihad Stadium, Edwards joins them as a 300-game player for the Crows and becomes one of only 40 players in 113 years of AFL/VFL football to have played 300 games for the one club.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/edwards-flying-under-the-radar/2009/05/30/1243456785967.html :thumbsu:

P1030598.jpg

22 Kicks, 19 Handballs, 41 Disposals, 8 Marks, 10 Tackles, 4 Inside 50s, and 300 Reasons To Smile:)

Tyson visited our school today with Jon Griffin, Aaron Kite and James Moss. Aaron and James played cricket down here on the Yokes last summer. It's not very often us country people get to meet an elite AFL player in our local area. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back