2008_BuckleyS_Profile_med.jpg

• Number: 1
  • Height: 189
  • Weight: 87
  • DOB: 18-04-1987
  • Debut: Rd 14 - 2007

28. Isaac Weetra

Celebrate, congratulate, procrastinate.

All threads of players finishing up at the end of this year will end up in here, plus talk about any other past greats (Darren Kowal, Steven Pitt et al).

Our first inductees are Isaac Weetra and Jace Bode

2008_WeetrtaI_Profile_med.jpg

• Number: 28
  • Height: 184
  • Weight: 76
  • DOB: 27-02-1989

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: 13. Adem Yze

Yze doesn't like his chances

By Matt Burgan 8:11 AM Mon 01 September, 2008

MELBOURNE great Adem Yze concedes he has "stuff all" chance of being picked up by a rival AFL club, but the club's third greatest games record holder will definitely play football at the highest level possible in 2009.

Yze, who was among Melbourne's best in its disappointing 80-point loss to Richmond at the MCG on Sunday with 25 disposals, said he would relish the opportunity to add to his 271-game career after it ended in the red and blue in round 22.

"I know that there is stuff all chance of getting picked up … so I'll fill in a form that I have to fill in, but I want to play at a reasonable level next year," Yze said post-match.

"So I want to try and stay fit and if I do get picked up by another club, then that's a bonus, but it's not the be all and end all and I've actually prepared for other levels.

"From now, I'm actually not part of the Melbourne footy club, so I've got a family and I've got to look after them."

"I'll try and get involved in someway with the [Melbourne] footy club, but I'll sit down with them over the next few weeks."

Yze said he hadn't considered which AFL club he could saddle up for in 2009.

"My brothers have gone through which list and team [I should play for] and they text me saying: 'This team would be good', but if that happens, that's a massive bonus. It's not even in the back of my mind, so we'll see what happens," Yze said.

If his AFL days are over, Yze hopes to play in the VFL next season.

"Playing this year at Sandy was really hard, but in doing that, I've actually enjoyed helping younger guys … so I've enjoyed that side of things," he said.

Reflecting on his last match with the Demons, Yze said it was a "little bit sad" that it had come to a halt, but he was proud of what he had achieved.

"Obviously it's the last time I'm going to pull the [Melbourne] jumper on at the 'G, so it's a little bit emotional. It's just good to have the family along today and obviously the result didn't go our way," Yze said.

"I'll hold a lot of awesome memories from my playing days here and it's something no one can take away from me."

Yze conceded Melbourne coach Dean Bailey gave the players a bake after its poor loss.

"I felt sorry for the boys; we copped a bit of a spray after the game and the coach really got into us – more the other players for not sending us off in the right way, but I think that's a little bit hard on them," Yze said.

"The hardest thing in these games is that it can go both ways, because you can get too emotional and I think that's what we've done.

"We're a young group and if things don't go your way at the start, they start to worry and think we're not going to be able to send them off in the right way. They'll learn and get better at that."

Yze believed Melbourne's poor form in recent weeks had tested Bailey's patience.

"Obviously I haven't played a lot this year, but in the last couple of weeks, it just seems that he's really starting to hurt," Yze said.

"I think now he's starting to push the fact that if you're not going to play our way – it doesn't matter how old you are [because] you've had a whole season now and if you don't look like you're going to improve – we've got to get rid of you.

"Even with pre-season, if you don't come back looking reasonably fit and looking like you want to improve, then maybe that's an indication straight away."

Yze also paid tribute to his "40-odd" family members who turned out to watch him against the Tigers.

41. Nathan Carroll

2008_CarrollN_Profile_med.jpg

• Number: 41
  • Height: 191
  • Weight: 91
  • DOB: 20-10-1980
  • Debut: Rd 4 - 2003

43. Jace Bode

Jace_Bode_Large.jpg

• Number: 43
  • Height: 183
  • Weight: 80
  • DOB: 14-09-1987
  • Debut: Rd 19 - 2007

The reason I like this lad is that with his pace and quick breaks, he will play other team mates into the game as well who will have to keep up in support. His finishing skills will hopefully improve so he is definitely part of the nucleus for a good running brigade.

Simon Buckley has all the makings of a star.
He could potentially be the best and most exciting player we have next year.

On a sidenote, I saw him down at the portsea pub a couple of months ago and had/has a very very fine ladyfriend.

Re: 45. Matthew Whelan

Definitely my favourite Melbourne player.

What he brings to the team is exactly what we need and when he retires we will miss him.

The toughness, maturity and mongrel he has in his game is the perfect mix.

I think this sort of thread is important, as it gives us an opportunity to recognise past players and their contribution to the club.

May I start by thanking each and every variety of Cockatoo-Collins to walk through our doors.

Re: 45. Matthew Whelan

He is a legend.

My favourite Melbourne player too, i wish he wasn't as injury prone, it's the only bad thing about him. Hoping to see a fit and firing Wheels next season.

Re: 13. Adem Yze

I think he could go on. He could be a very handy small forward for someone for the next 2 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back