Past players - >>> 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Simon Buckley

He is definately in my best 22. If played in the right spot, he can be damaging. That said, he also needs to learn about accountability.

I believe that's why he's being played in defence, it's part of his development.

Don't know if I agree with that "beautiful kick" comment from above. Bit of an up and under floater style.

Unfortunately our "good core group" isn't as good as we all think. Moloney and Jones have always been hard working but neither are great kicks. They are strong bodies yet don't lay a huge amount of tackles.

Valenti isn't even close to cracking a game. Not a huge future for him most likely.

McLean is meant to be our saviour but he had I think 2 effective kicks (no joke) today. He's slow and opposition sides now exploit that. Davis was playing on him in the first half before we tagged Davis and he ran wild. I'm not writing him off. He's still a decent player but there is a strong possibility that he won't progress beyond that unfortunately.

Buckley has to play as soon as he's ready, and in the midfield. Make him play a tighter midfield role if you want to develop accountability, not as a defender.

Unfortunately our "good core group" isn't as good as we all think. Moloney and Jones have always been hard working but neither are great kicks. They are strong bodies yet don't lay a huge amount of tackles.

Valenti isn't even close to cracking a game. Not a huge future for him most likely.

McLean is meant to be our saviour but he had I think 2 effective kicks (no joke) today. He's slow and opposition sides now exploit that. Davis was playing on him in the first half before we tagged Davis and he ran wild. I'm not writing him off. He's still a decent player but there is a strong possibility that he won't progress beyond that unfortunately.

Buckley has to play as soon as he's ready, and in the midfield. Make him play a tighter midfield role if you want to develop accountability, not as a defender.
The other thing about Jones and McLean is that neither of them can get off the ground. Unless they are on the end of a head high pass they have no hope of taking the mark. They go under the ball too much and have no leap at all. I realise they are short but they just don't have any versatility via a leap, how often do we see them stick out a duke just to see the ball sail over them at a height that any other player would have marked? Don't even mention kicking on the run (not that they are the only offenders).

Played with the Zomer all the way through juniors. Was our CHB early on where he pretty much outmarked the CHF everytime, and then bang the ball back into our forward line. Started playing ruck in under 14s onwards were he would win the tap 9 times out of 10, and then roveing his own ball and take on the opposition, with his quite surprising speed. He then went onto play FF for us in under 16 were he would kick a bag of 6 or more every week! We would just lob the ball up and his long reach was too much for any defender.

Of course this was early days and was quite exceptional at basketball as well where he was Vic metros highest scorer in the Aus Championships back in 2006-07

I am very surprised he hasnt been given another opportunity since the nab cup match against Geelong in 08!

Sorry to invade this board but thought I would give my views on him from my past experiances :)

So what's keeping him out of Melbourne's side atm? Just that there are too many similar types in the team, or is there more to it?

Re: 41. Nathan Carroll

Can anyone fill me in on the Wayne Lamb story?

I distinctly remember his debut, because it was the first - and so far only - drawn I've ever seen in person, against the Swans in 1992. Plays one more game, gets the arse and then shows up at Fitzroy in 1995.

Wtf was he doing for the two years inbetween?

Have heard that we was a seriously angry unit. I seem to recall he copped a significant suspension in an under 19's or reserves game for umpire abuse.

Incidentally after starting his career with a draw he then went on to be in a losing side in every other one of his remaining 20 career games. Wonder how that worked for his bad mood!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know hes the same mould as McLean, Jones etc, but I still think he should be elevated.

Yes, we need pace, but he shouldn't be neglected just becuase he doesnt have it. With him in the mix, we could just about lead the comp in contested possesions. The lack of pacy midfielders will be addressed at the end of the year at the draft.

Furthermore, when he played last year we had alot of injuries to key midfielders. As a result, he attracted either a first or second string tagger, and yet he still managed to average 17 odd disposals. Imagine his output if he wasnt attracting that sort of attention.

He has worked hard and deserves the chance. Hes been killing it at Casey this season, and is screaming for a lifeline. He's still young and a year or two ahead of a kid who we'll take late in this years draft. Elevate him instead.

He deserves a shot.

think it will be an important year for Belly... he was playing across half forward during the pre-season, so it looks like the coaching staff are going to try him as a forward, as they realise he's not going to be good enough to play in our defence...

if he doesn't show something, I think he'll be cut at the end of the year...

Russell Robertson
Round 6 vs. Geelong Cats at the MCG, Sunday 3rd May 2009.
Statistics:
8 kicks, 2 handballs, 6 marks, 1 tackle, 3 goals, 2 behinds, 3 contested possessions, 50% disposal efficiency, 1 clanger, 2 contested marks, 1 inside 50.

I think it's fair to say, thank **** we have Robbo back. We finally have a forward that can take a mark and kick a goal. He shanked his first two but kicked his first of three goals to notch up his 400th in his career. Having Robertson at full forward will hopefully allow Miller to play in his lead-up forward roll, which I think he's best at.

Out of 10?: Considering it was his first game back and he was playing in a fairly poor team against Geelong, 8/10.
Does he keep his spot? No doubt.

I like Bell, he did okay playing for Casey. Managed a handful of possessions, gave them some run off halfback & through the midfield, though he's still at least two weeks away from Melbourne consideration, since he was concussed last week & is still recovering from a broken thumb. He should start getting match fit & push for selection soon. I put him in our best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back