Past players - 2010 >>>

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Missing Austin Wonaeamirri?

We're missing Ivor Warne-Smith, Barassi and Athol Webb too.

I can remember the last two well! Great players that would show this lot a thing or two about playing for the jumper! Ivor had long retired before I started watching the game although he was always talked about fondly!

As an observer to this thread, I'll play the devils advocate. What Wonaeamirri brought to the team is exactly the opposite of what Mark Neeld wants to bring to the Melbourne Football Club. It's all well and good to have a go at Bailey, but does this player not embody the Meloburne football club under Bailey? He was never fit enough, wasn't committed to his football career (this was more of an unfortunate circumstance) and was a "one way" player - the same things that people think is acceptable to blast Moloney, Sylvia, Green, Davey, Morton and co. with. So how come Wonaeamirri is exempt from this and actually revered in a way?

I know all supporters love to remember players who kicked winning goals in great wins and are prepared to overlook flaws in order to remember good times, but I just find it a bit unusual to hear supporters who blast Bailey for implenting ineffecitve programs that saw your side have one of the lowest fitness levels in the AFL and a soft, one way gameplan, can love a player who epitomised Bailey's time at the club so much.

The last couple of years of Choco's reign at Port was similar in a way, but from what I read on Bigfooty at the time, the two guys who epitomised those couple of horrible years were Matthew Westhoff and Marlon Motlop, who were both drafted in the second round, for seemingly no other reason than the fact they were brothers of players at the club as they both would have been available much later in the draft. Both showed some exciting flashes but neither did anything of substance and were both delisted a year or two later. A few years on and Port supporters cringe when their names get brought up, not because of the players personally, but more in the way they were the poster boys for those awful couple of years and did not have the bodies or talent for AFL football.

Sorry for sticking my nose in, and as a Port supporter my opinion on Melbourne is hardly relevant, but I just find the way supporters remember players interesting.

I wasn't talking about the Wona that was fat and unfit.

I was talking about the fit Wona of 2008. The guy would chase and harass and inspire his team mates.

Melbourne are lacking a player that inspires them to go in harder and work harder. A guy that can do the impossible too. Wona, at this best, was that player. He didn't do it for long but when he did do it, it was a fun ride.

Melbourne are currently devoid of fun. They need it back in spades!

As an observer to this thread, I'll play the devils advocate. What Wonaeamirri brought to the team is exactly the opposite of what Mark Neeld wants to bring to the Melbourne Football Club. It's all well and good to have a go at Bailey, but does this player not embody the Meloburne football club under Bailey? He was never fit enough, wasn't committed to his football career (this was more of an unfortunate circumstance) and was a "one way" player - the same things that people think is acceptable to blast Moloney, Sylvia, Green, Davey, Morton and co. with. So how come Wonaeamirri is exempt from this and actually revered in a way?

I know all supporters love to remember players who kicked winning goals in great wins and are prepared to overlook flaws in order to remember good times, but I just find it a bit unusual to hear supporters who blast Bailey for implenting ineffecitve programs that saw your side have one of the lowest fitness levels in the AFL and a soft, one way gameplan, can love a player who epitomised Bailey's time at the club so much.

The last couple of years of Choco's reign at Port was similar in a way, but from what I read on Bigfooty at the time, the two guys who epitomised those couple of horrible years were Matthew Westhoff and Marlon Motlop, who were both drafted in the second round, for seemingly no other reason than the fact they were brothers of players at the club as they both would have been available much later in the draft. Both showed some exciting flashes but neither did anything of substance and were both delisted a year or two later. A few years on and Port supporters cringe when their names get brought up, not because of the players personally, but more in the way they were the poster boys for those awful couple of years and did not have the bodies or talent for AFL football.

Sorry for sticking my nose in, and as a Port supporter my opinion on Melbourne is hardly relevant, but I just find the way supporters remember players interesting.

Personally, I don't miss him at all. He only pulled out an effort for one season - heaps of players do that. He was never going to figure in our team for too long because he was not a hard worker. Virtually the definition of a frontrunner. I don't like the popular explanation of him losing all will to play because his father died either. Like it or not, we all lose people. I've lost plenty of people in my family. Doesn't mean I could quit my job and go fishing. Gotta be tougher than that.

In the end, I think what he was softest about was his injuries. Seemed to crack the sads about getting through them. Decided to chuck it all in because he couldn't be naturally mercurial anymore. It stopped coming easily to him and he would have had to fight to get back. He chose not to. I also wasn't impressed with the way he left. He strung the club along forever about the decision to play on or retire. MFC was very generous and patient with him and he wasn't very respectful by disappearing on us. Didn't communicate openly or honestly.

So there. Not too much romance there, is there?

I was talking about the fit Wona of 2008. The guy would chase and harass and inspire his team mates.

Melbourne are lacking a player that inspires them to go in harder and work harder. A guy that can do the impossible too. Wona, at his best, was that player. He didn't do it for long but when he did do it, it was a fun ride.

Another exceptionally fine point mate. Couldn't agree more :thumbsu:

And I thought 2008 was as low as it could get...

Yeah, I've had those thoughts often this year too.

Kudos for your postings around the place lately by the way Cudi... I know we gave you a bucketing recently, but you've done pretty well in my book since then.

Good to have you back in the fold again :thumbsu:

I'm with you here Hellgood... sure, we'd all love to have Wona playing like he did in '08, but in reality he showed nothing of that thereafter and was a soft player who wanted it easily. The club handled the issue well given the circumstances, but in the end we lost very little.

I fear Matt's going to have a cricket score kicked on him tonight by Roo. Terrible match up

Thank Christ he plays for Gold Coast.

I fear Matt's going to have a cricket score kicked on him tonight by Roo. Terrible match up

Thank Christ he plays for Gold Coast.
I did see a typical Warnock play the other week on the Sunday Footy Show. Outmuscles his opponent --> gets set for a sitter of a chest mark --> dropped mark --> fumbled paddle right into the path of his man --> opposition goal --> look of distress from teammate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys! I'm sure you noticed today that we picked up Jamie in the rookie draft. You've obviously seen more than him of me; what do you think his likelihood of making it in the AFL are?
Good clean heals, good agility, pretty good skills, didn't win his own ball, poor defensive game. West Coast were said to be likely to have taken Jamie if we didn't in his draft year so not surprised they give him another crack.

He has a couple of nice highlights to his name that suggests he has the required skill level but he will need to turn his contested footy and defensive pressure around to make it, I think.

He has a couple of nice highlights to his name that suggests he has to required skill level but he will need to turn his contested footy and defensive pressure around to make it, I think.

I guess if Josh Hill can do it, Jamie can too!

Hey guys! I'm sure you noticed today that we picked up Jamie in the rookie draft. You've obviously seen more than him of me; what do you think his likelihood of making it in the AFL are?
He never really grabbed his chances and never really had a set role in the team. He has skills, he has a fairly good read of the play and showed he was capable of being a pretty good AFL player, but only for 5-10 minutes every couple of weeks. Good luck to him but I can't say I'm sad he's not still on our list.

Not sure if this has been posted (and CBF looking back) but according to last week's VFL Record Rory Taggert is now playing for Geelong Reserves.

EDIT - That should have read Jai Sheahan. No point editing it, I've lost dignity now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back