Toast Past Players, (a place to reminisce)

Remove this Banner Ad

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've heard the stories about Greening, but even so, I did not believe you here at first. Went and looked it up. Wow! :eek:

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1971/040919710515.html

Did he raise his bat to the members on disposal #50...? ;)
I don't blame you for not believing Bat it was an astonishing performance, he was so strong in the air and on the ground.

A player that simply dominated - not just the odd game here or there either - he was the real deal.

The then VFL lost an all time great hall of famer when John was king hit out of the sport.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
I've heard the stories about Greening, but even so, I did not believe you here at first. Went and looked it up. Wow! :eek:

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1971/040919710515.html

Did he raise his bat to the members on disposal #50...? ;)
I don't blame you for not believing Bat it was an astonishing performance, he was so strong in the air and on the ground.

A player that simply dominated - not just the odd game here or there either - he was the real deal.

The then VFL lost an all time great hall of famer when John was king hit out of the sport.
Rather odd thing about that game is we struggled to beat Geelong at Victoria Park, winning by just 14 points after being level at 3/4 time, even though we had the Greening master-class, 6 goals from McKenna and 4 from Tuddenham and a lot of star players (seemingly) playing very good games! They were also missing Doug Wade and 'Sam' Newman which made the visitors near miss even more noteworthy, as we were top of the ladder and the Cats were 11th going into the game. The week before we had beaten Melbourne by 55 points (they were top) and Geelong had lost to Fitzroy (then 11th) by 45.

It would be wonderful to be able to watch this game, seeing snippets of Greening on YouTube shows you just how brilliant he was. The match report from The Age can be read here:- https://news.google.com.au/newspapers?nid=MDQ-9Oe3GGUC&dat=19710517&printsec=frontpage&hl=en (page 20)

Greening was named best player, his extraordinary stats haul does get a mention.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Len Thompson....I still have a vivid memory of the big bloke tearing through Centre Half Forward and kicking a brilliant goal against the Tigers in the 1973 Prelim. While he played at CHF that day we couldn't lose, then Jenkin got injured Thommo got swung into the ruck and our forward structure broke down.(sigh)
The best tap ruckman I can remember from any club. I used to own a book that featured a frame by frame breakdown of his centre bounce work with Wayne Richardson. Pure gold.
Len to me was always part of the great troika of ruckmen in my time.

Gary Dempsey
Simon Madden
Len Thompson

No doubt Big Nick and polly Framer were another two absolute greats, and Graham Mods well, could have been anything if he stayed longer.

But three above have the goods and no ruck since to me has them covered

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Athas Hrysoulakis played a blinder from the half forward line in a final against Melbourne in 1989.
22 touches from a HF flank in a losing side

Any game in which Fabulous Phil decided he had come to play, in that mood he was unstoppable

Ray Shaw when he got shitty, was fun to watch, he didn't take any prisoners

Peter Moore was the smoothest mover, he really looked elegant when running

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rather odd thing about that game is we struggled to beat Geelong at Victoria Park, winning by just 14 points after being level at 3/4 time, even though we had the Greening master-class, 6 goals from McKenna and 4 from Tuddenham and a lot of star players (seemingly) playing very good games! They were also missing Doug Wade and 'Sam' Newman which made the visitors near miss even more noteworthy, as we were top of the ladder and the Cats were 11th going into the game. The week before we had beaten Melbourne by 55 points (they were top) and Geelong had lost to Fitzroy (then 11th) by 45.

It would be wonderful to be able to watch this game, seeing snippets of Greening on YouTube shows you just how brilliant he was. The match report from The Age can be read here:- https://news.google.com.au/newspapers?nid=MDQ-9Oe3GGUC&dat=19710517&printsec=frontpage&hl=en (page 20)

Greening was named best player, his extraordinary stats haul does get a mention.
Daic's even as far back as the '60's Geelong have been almost ubeatable when they are 'on' - I've lost count of the times teams have had their measure and simply 'couldn't quite put them away'.

They have always been a dangerous foe - especially in sleepy hollow.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Athas Hrysoulakis played a blinder from the half forward line in a final against Melbourne in 1989.
22 touches from a HF flank in a losing side

Any game in which Fabulous Phil decided he had come to play, in that mood he was unstoppable

Ray Shaw when he got shitty, was fun to watch, he didn't take any prisoners

Peter Moore was the smoothest mover, he really looked elegant when running
Jack FP was the second most painful experience for many supporters of my ilk, a man gifted with all the physical skills of a master elite player and a superb athlete into the bargain. If he had ever managed to control that stupid temper of his Collingwood may have been the first team to reach 20 flags . . . yes some of you young ones may laugh but he was simply the most talented player Collingwood ever had - think a combination of Abblett Snr and Dangerfield all rolled into one - astonishing player, but simply no control for that temper.

The three great rucks to precede grundy all had their own thing

Len Thompson was a SUPERB tap ruckman, good on the run and a fine kick for a ruckman.

Peter Moore was simply a revelation, the first of the big athletic ruckman - incomparable.

Damien Monkhurst was a fine athlete but an old style angry big man - fearsome at times.

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Daic's even as far back as the '60's Geelong have been almost ubeatable when they are 'on' - I've lost count of the times teams have had their measure and simply 'couldn't quite put them away'.

They have always been a dangerous foe - especially in sleepy hollow.
Yep late 60's early 70's they were the ultimate downhill skiers. Inevitably they'd have some good games and inevitably when the games were very skilful rather than tough. Geelong played pretty football and when they got a run on they were very hard to beat. Back then (with the exception of Tuddy) if we had one fault it was that we weren't as tough as Richmond, Carlton and Hawthorn. We were the perfect opponent for Geelong who loved playing bruise free football.

Bobbyt54

Debutant
Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Being a regular to the footy in the late 80's early 90's seeing Daicos always gives me goose bumps. 91 against the tigers at Vic park where he kicked not only goal of the year but another ripping check side had a buzz around the ground that latest at least 15 mins.

WakeUpPies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Guy Richards - Occasionally played well during a time when we had no rucks.

Occasionally = 1 game.

David Fanning - Thought he was going to be better than Guy Richards.

He wasn't.

Brent Hall - Our next key forward!

Took 1 mark.

Julian Rowe - Gave me something to cheer for in 2004. I remember thinking he was gong to be special after he kicked a goal from the boundary.

That was the only good thing he ever did.

TEX Walker - Who could forget that magnificent speccie he took?

Mark McGough - Dominated in the wet and was a star in the first Anzac match he played in. Though he was going to lead the midfield into the future.

Jason Cloke - was surprisingly good for a 1st /2nd year KPP.

But he literally NEVER improved.

Shane Woewodin - I thought he deserved more games ... but we were never going to do much when Buckley, Taz, and Rocca started missing games together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Jack FP was the second most painful experience for many supporters of my ilk, a man gifted with all the physical skills of a master elite player and a superb athlete into the bargain. If he had ever managed to control that stupid temper of his Collingwood may have been the first team to reach 20 flags . . . yes some of you young ones may laugh but he was simply the most talented player Collingwood ever had - think a combination of Abblett Snr and Dangerfield all rolled into one - astonishing player, but simply no control for that temper.

The three great rucks to precede grundy all had their own thing

Len Thompson was a SUPERB tap ruckman, good on the run and a fine kick for a ruckman.

Peter Moore was simply a revelation, the first of the big athletic ruckman - incomparable.

Damien Monkhurst was a fine athlete but an old style angry big man - fearsome at times.

What about Charlie?
Didn't you love watching Charlie Manson clawing at the ground and gnashing his teeth at his opposing ruckman? He was Crackers Keenan with skill! A glorious balance of exquisite marking power, brutal competitveness and an inability to kick! Charlie meant so much to that side...he was a ripper.

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
What about Charlie?
Didn't you love watching Charlie Manson clawing at the ground and gnashing his teeth at his opposing ruckman? He was Crackers Keenan with skill! A glorious balance of exquisite marking power, brutal competitveness and an inability to kick! Charlie meant so much to that side...he was a ripper.
Charlie was indeed something special.
I loved the injury he got which prevented him from having a set shot on goal from the boundry. As soon as someone else took the kick he made a miraculous recovery

Mukesh

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
Kalapathar, Havelock Island
AFL Club
Collingwood

John Parkinson & Robert Stevens... hardly household names. Anybody have any info ?

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Charlie was indeed something special.
I loved the injury he got which prevented him from having a set shot on goal from the boundry. As soon as someone else took the kick he made a miraculous recovery
Big Ronnie took the kick.

McOrist

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
The East
AFL Club
Collingwood
One of my strongest memories is of Alan Atkinson taking the 'Mark of the Year' in 1973 out at Waverley.
He had huge sideburns and could play a bit -over 100 games.
B0Xn2G7CcAIfkx6.jpg:large

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
What about Charlie?
Hell yeah Robbie Charlie was 110% aggression, hard at it at all times and dead set great team man.

Mar 23, 2010
Section 24 subsection B3 JUST GOT REPEALED.
AFL Club
Collingwood
VFL park 1990 V Essendon about 3rd last round of the season. Two best sides in the comp looking for top spot. Ball about 20m out from our goal, one goal in it, last quarter.

Loose ball, with about 5 players looking at it. For a kid it looked like time stood still and then carnage as 4-5 players decided it was theres. My most vivid image was Gavin Brown (who else) just diving in head first and smashing his body against all the other bodies in mid air. The most exhilarating moment I had witnessed close up..and it only ended up being a ball up.

Up till then I played footy in a manner that Neil Balme would describe as 'he is a nice player'. That moment changed the way I played footy.

About 6- 7 weeks later there was a new more profound memory...winning the first flag in my lifetime.

EDIT - found a link to that play - about 50sec mark

one of the most intense H&A games ive witnessed. pre/during/post.

from memory the first all ticketed H&A game, sold out, then televised live, on a sunday etc etc etc

walked away from waverley that day thinking 'i think weve got this......this cup that has eluded us'.

we were several players down, the young team had stood up.

sometimes i miss waverley.

only sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back