Delisted #33: Adam McPhee

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 33. Adam McPhee

He's been massive all season. Makes mistakes but he has good skills, a huge engine (and the heart to use it) and great hands. Would be top 5 in our B&F, maybe top 3. All the while learning a new position.
Great post mate:thumbsu:

Agree with all of that. McPhee was thrust into a very difficult position at CHF when Lucas went down. He did an admirable job for a bloke that doesn't play that position. He runs himself into the ground every match and you know he will give you 100%. The contest with Schammer says it all. He will put his body on the line. Tough player to match up on and has a good mark.

Personally feel he should be trade bait as he certainly has currency. If that doesnt eventuate Ill be 100% behind him anyway. Great season and easily in our top few in the B & F.

He busts a gut and you could never knock his endeavour. I think he is a very important cog when Scotty is up and running with Lloydy, but is he the clanger king of Essendon?

Plenty of worse players than him, but his clangers hurt - if he coudl iron them out, he would be a top player.

He busts a gut and you could never knock his endeavour. I think he is a very important cog when Scotty is up and running with Lloydy, but is he the clanger king of Essendon?

Plenty of worse players than him, but his clangers hurt - if he coudl iron them out, he would be a top player.

Yes he busts is gut and I think he is a good player but I think he should be traded and we should try and get a young midfielder, maybe another draft pick. He has plenty of value and clubs would be willing to take him. With the progression of Neagle and Gumbleton (we will see him one day!) I can't see him cementing a position in the side. He would be playing lots of different roles and I can't see the point in that as we already have one player which does that (Lovett-Murray).

We need to take advantage of having players like McPhee, they are good trade value and I believe we can benefit from trading some of these players (NLM, Stanton, Nash, Lovett etc).

Yes he busts is gut and I think he is a good player but I think he should be traded and we should try and get a young midfielder, maybe another draft pick. He has plenty of value and clubs would be willing to take him. With the progression of Neagle and Gumbleton (we will see him one day!) I can't see him cementing a position in the side. He would be playing lots of different roles and I can't see the point in that as we already have one player which does that (Lovett-Murray).

We need to take advantage of having players like McPhee, they are good trade value and I believe we can benefit from trading some of these players (NLM, Stanton, Nash, Lovett etc).

I completely agree with everything you are saying, it seems to be no-one on the trade threads is really going down this route in the discussion. With the exclusion of Lovett form that group i think NLM, McPhee, Nash and Stanton all are potential trade bait and we should be seriously considering luring a good centre half back, midfielder and ruck option come the end of the season. Sheedy never successfully scored any mid career players from trades they all ended up duds. We could really really use a little bit more leadership in that 24/25 year old bracket. Players like Mcphee and NLM aren't stars and arent consistent or talented enough to be worth keeping at the club for another 5 years, NOW is the time!

Chuck McPhee back onto da' Half Back Flank!

Our defence is shithouse! He'll push our defence up a fair notch for this weeks game...

Where is he likely to play next year? What will you guys do with Lloyd, Lucas, Neagle, Gumby and Mcphee?

we wont be able to fit him in there...

Gumby, Neagle, Lloyd, Lucas, Davey, Monfries and Jetta all have to fit in there next year.

Not to mention we badly, BADLY! need him in our backline as well.

F: Davey/Jetta, Lucas, Neagle/Gumby
HF: McPhee, Lloyd, Monfries

It has been said by people who are closer to the team than I that Gumby will play maybe half the season even if fully fit. Neagle and Gumby will be fighting it out for one position next year IMO. Unless injuries occur, I doubt they'll be playing together in the forward line for too many games. Davey,Jetta and Monfries can all have short bursts in the midfield.

McPhee plays the high forward role the best. He has the endurance that Neagle, Gumby, Lloyd and Lucas don't have. He provides an option coming out of defence.

Plus McPhee turns the ball over waaay too much in the backline.

I still prefer him in the backline...

Knighta will work out a way to try and avoid Macca's turnover ability down back, but his endurance and hardness is well needed in our backline. He has strong hands and seems to be good in one on one situations. I'm sure Knightas' philosiphy of running the ball out of defence will also go in the favour of McPhee's abilities.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now I know he has been a great player for us since returning home from Fremantle, but surely Matty Knights and his panel would consider McPhee as trade bait next week. Dont get me wrong, I rate McPhee highly (except his turnovers by foot occur to frequently) but he isn't going to be getting any better now as age will start to take its toll....Your thoughts? I say only if the offer is worthwile but it cant hurt to throw his name around.

He's 25... Turning 26, in 6 days...

I have no idea what you mean by his age taking tole on him.:D

To be honest, I'd be devistated if McPhee was traded away.

adam.jpg

Name: Adam Mcphee

Position: Defender, Forward

Date of Birth: 6/10/1982

Height: 190cm

Weight: 89kg

Nickname: Smokey

Previous Clubs: Fremantle Dockers, Dandenong Stingrays

Recruited From:
Trade with Fremantle

Debut: 2001, Round 9 vs Sydney

Total AFL Games: 146

Total AFL Goals: 76

Player Profile
Adam McPhee is the true ‘utility’ in the Bombers’ squad. He is a versatile player who has played in both attack and defense, and is much admired for his aggressive approach at the football.

McPhee was originally recruited by the Fremantle Dockers, with whom he made his debut in 2001. He was nominated for the AFL rising star award that year. To the end of 2002, McPhee played 35 games in total for the Dockers, after which he asked to be traded back to his home state of Victoria. McPhee got his wish when he was traded to the Bombers in a three way deal involving Essendon, Fremantle and Brisbane.

In McPhee's first year at Essendon, he played every game, and his tough approach earnt him the club's "most courageous player" award. However it was in 2004 that McPhee really made his mark as an AFL player. In that year he was selected on the half-back flank in the All Australian team, won the Crichton Medal as Essendon's best and fairest player, and was Essendon's highest vote getter in the Brownlow Medal.

In 2008 he played 20 games, mostly as a mobile forward, and impressed with some strong marking performances. At 26-years-old, the former All-Australian is in his prime and should be a good contributor again in 2009 rotating forward, back and even spending time on the wing. McPhee is one of the Bombers’ few players aged in their middle 20’s and, for that reason, must stand tall this season.

We will be in big trouble if McPhee plays half back in the season proper. Again he takes some nice marks then has no idea what to do with it.

Play him at half forward where he is actually valuable to the team or don't play him at all.

I dont know how many times Ive said this but please, I dont care how under manned we may get down back with injuries, DO NOT let Mcphee anywhere near the backline. please.

Mcphee needs to play forward.

It looks as though the roving zones are confusing the hell out of him.

He was ok running from half back when the game was open. He struggles big time now.

We need to play him forward as we have zero mobility up there.

I still can't stand McPhee in a defensive role. 2008 had nearly made me forget but he is just no good at it, even when he does a few nice things he just counteracts that good work with poor decisions and indecisiveness.

I think Knights sees him as in our best 22 given he isn't injury prone and his workrate is outstanding, but fitting him in the side is another thing. I know this may sound harsh, but at the moment I'd prefer McPhee in the forward line to replace Lucas. I've always been a massive fan of Lucas but at the moment he just hasn't come back from his injury well. Scotty is a champion and I'm not writing him off at all, but he has slowed down and this allows more spoil attempts. It's true Scotty has never been fast but his strength and great hands always helped him win the day. At the moment however his hands are terrible. Yes, some of our passes to him are bad but even some of the easier ones he drops and fumbles. Compare this to NAB cup 2008 before his PCL where he was just pulling everything down no matter how awkward the kick coming in was. Maybe give Lucas a few weeks at Bendigo to get his touch back on some easy opponents, although I don't know if people like the idea of a club champion having to go back to the seconds to find his form, they may think he deserves the chance to find form in the seniors.

The fact is that McPhee's ariel ability, good hands, mobility and high work rate better serve us in the forward line than in the back where he looks uncertain. And while Knights might want to play 4 talls so he can get games into Neagle and Gumby while still playing Lloyd and Lucas, surely McPhee should be able to dislodge one if team structure i9s better suited with him in a forward role.

Than again maybe Knights simply sees McPhee as a decent defender, which he is entitled to do, but I strongly disagree with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back