Retired #9: Adam Ramanauskas

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Rama

I`ve mentioned it elsewhere I`ll mention it again, 15 clubs got all warm and fuzzy " Yeah we`ll let Essendon rookie list Rama, no worries" It will bite all 15 clubs on the arse. Best hands in the league.

This should never be an issue of whether "it will bite all 15 clubs on the arse". Each of the clubs took a position that was decent and principled and should be commended for it, not ridiculed.

As for Rama's performance today .. tremendous. Great to see him going so well. He deserves everything in the way of good things that come to him. Terrific footballer, and a great human being.

I`ve mentioned it elsewhere I`ll mention it again, 15 clubs got all warm and fuzzy " Yeah we`ll let Essendon rookie list Rama, no worries" It will bite all 15 clubs on the arse. Best hands in the league.

What 15 clubs did that was decent and respectful was done for Rama, not the Essendon Football Club and not for Bombers fans.

Rama has earned that respect and not one opposition club would wish him any less than an ongoing football career with individual success.

Beat me to it WH with this thread title...

Outstanding performance today from the kid from Noble Park:thumbsu:

The year before his diagnosis my circle of bomber fans had him pegged as captain in waiting.

That might not happen but the player is still there, good to see him back and playing great footy :)

This should never be an issue of whether "it will bite all 15 clubs on the arse". Each of the clubs took a position that was decent and principled and should be commended for it, not ridiculed.

My feeling is that the majority of the clubs were quietly saying " He`s finished let them do it"

Re: 9. Adam Ramanauskas

Loved his game against the Dockers, his two snap goals were a-grade, composed as they come, never write off this guy. I hope he stays at the club for a few more years, nurturing and teaching the younger bombers all he knows, what an inspiring guy

Will probably get hung for this but i'd have to agree that it may be time to move on at the end of the year.

Has played well at times this year though has been ordinary at other times and looks to me that his best footy is behind him.

With the likes of Dempsey, Hislop, Myers all emerging, I would rather see them all huge upside playing next year.

Will probably get hung for this but i'd have to agree that it may be time to move on at the end of the year.

I tend to agree, but I wouldn't be surprised if the temptation is to see what another preseason will do for him.

Also wouldn't be surprised if he retired given he'll be a father before the 2009 season starts.

He'll play another year and the club will give him that.

You only had to see his reaction to snapping a goal in a crucial part of the game last week to see how pumped he still is for playing football.

You'd be crazy to not give him another pre season.

He still has enough pace in his legs. He still has immaculate skill and has so much time on the ball.

You have to remember that this is his first season back from being out for a while. How many people who do their knee come back and have really good seasons first up?

He looks much fitter than he did late last year and I reckon he can get there after another pre season. He's 27 going on 28 and he should be able to get his body back to a level where he'll be a very valuable asset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm happy for them to give him another year but i hope they dont give him games just because he is rama

I would love to see him at the club for another year.
Give him a one-year contract and see how he goes..he still has passion :thumbsu:

Many players become fathers and keep on playing..
but best of luck to him in his decision!

Congrats to Rama...
look forward to the announcement 'Adam and Belinda are proud parents of a healthy baby BOY' ;)

Adam Ramanauskas is at ease - Good read

ADAM Ramanauskas is unsure of his next challenge. There are few genuine battles left when you have twice beaten cancer. Coaching and an involvement in sport are on his radar, but the truth is he spends little time stressing about the future.

At season’s end the inspirational Bomber is out of contract, but with familiar optimism he is unfazed.

"There’s no concern for me whatsoever," Ramanauskas, 27, said.
"When the time’s right we’ll sit down and we’ll talk, and we’ll go from there. It’s not a concern to me.
"I’m just happy to be playing footy again and, more importantly, just enjoying myself and enjoying a healthy life.
"I’m still young, so hopefully there’s a couple of good years left in me yet."

The Ramanauskas file is a remarkable feel-good story of courage and determination. He didn’t play in 2006 and managed only five games last season.

He started well this year, but the signs were ominous when he was dropped in Round 9.

Ramanauskas admits he was underdone and he decided he simply needed to work harder.

He earned a recall in Round 12 and has since shown the versatility which makes him a valuable member of the line-up.

He is comfortable with his predicament and relationship with coach Matthew Knights.

"At the time he (Knights) just said to go back and get a little bit of form," Ramanauskas said.
"That’s the great thing about him, he’s very honest with his players, and we can be open and honest with him, too, about how we’re feeling.
"So it was no worry at all in terms of playing in the reserves. You’re still an important part of the team.
"I could be back there at any time of the year, but while you continue to just play good football, you let that worry about itself.

"I always miss footy (when he’s not playing), the competitive side of it and the camaraderie of the boys. For me, it was about getting back and that was my sign that I was fit and healthy again.
"And that was at whatever level – didn’t matter if it was AFL or VFL or local footy. That was a sign that I was up and going again as a person.
"I’m very fortunate that the club had faith in me to keep me around.
"Last year was going to be a bit tough because I hadn’t trained. And this year things are going OK.
"While I’m not setting the world on fire, I feel I can contribute in certain areas where we need help in the team."

A premiership player and an Australian representative, Ramanauskas knows he has much to offer Essendon’s young list.

He is impressed by the recent newcomers, particularly the club’s first-round pick last year, David Myers. He likes to see a strong work ethic and is proud "they’ve all shown a real thirst for making it in the AFL".

"It’s quite strange, I guess I see my role to definitely help develop those guys," he says.
"It’s well-documented that the first and second-year guys are the future of our club and we need to fast-track those guys, they’re the real future of our club.
"It’s necessary to help the senior guys have some success before they finish up."

Without hesitation, Ramanauskas speaks of imminent success. The evidence is there – the developing side has strung together three wins in a row.

A rare triumph on the road against Fremantle last week provided further encouragement.

"I kicked a few goals and got a bit excited, which is a bit unlike me," Ramanauskas said.

"It was a bit of a reunion over there with Mark Johnson, ‘Solly’ (Dean Solomon) and ‘Harvs’ (Mark Harvey) and ‘Wally’ (Dean Wallis).
"It worked out nicely with Johnno’s 200th and we celebrated with him. It was really nice to beat them.

"We started the year real well and then we had a stretch where we played poorly. Hopefully now, with a little bit of momentum, we can continue it to the end of the season.
"It was always going to take time for the guys to learn how ‘Knighter’ wanted us to play for him. His style has been well-documented – a real up-tempo, attacking style. But at the same time we had to concentrate on the defensive side of our game and I think that’s what we’ve done in recent weeks.

"It was never going to be like the new coach walks in and we were going to understand what he wanted us to do straight away. It was always going to take time and it will continue to take time.
"We might not be playing the way he wants us to until halfway through next year.

"I think all our boys have got a really strong understanding of what he wants now and what he expects."

Ramanauskas developed a close relationship with Knights on a leadership trip to Japan. He said it had been an enjoyable transition from the post-Kevin Sheedy-James Hird to the new Knights-led phase.

A friend and mentor, Ramanauskas has no doubt Knights is the right man for the job.

"It’s funny, things have to come to an end and you move on, but at the same time we’re a proud club and we try to celebrate our history and remember our history," he said.

"And those two guys (Sheedy and Hird) have been an integral part of it.
"(Knights’s) passion and enthusiasm that he shows to one, the club; and two, the playing group is amazing.
"I think a lot of the players actually work off his energy. The way he prepares the team and individuals for the coming game is just great.
"The best thing about him is you always know where you stand and for me personally that’s all you ever want."

THE BEST STORY IN FOOTBALL

HERE is no doubt in Kevin Sheedy’s mind what is the greatest achievement he has seen during his time in football.

"‘Rama’s probably the best," Sheedy said.
"I believe you’ve got 10 great stories in your life as a coach and his is unmatched.
"Rama’s got one of the best attitudes of all time and just lives for the day."

Two brave comebacks, in 2003 and 2006, have defined the journey of Ramanauskas.

This season has been most rewarding because he has continued his clean bill of health.

"I’m feeling great, obviously I still get my regular checks and I can’t complain," Ramanauskas said.
"It’s quite good to play a season of football without the worry of what might happen. I’m just playing and enjoying myself and enjoying football."

He has also been kept busy working on a new business venture called FitDeck, which uses a deck of playing cards that provide exercise routines for all abilities.

It is hoped they will soon launch overseas.

"I was doing all sorts of exercises at home, but these gave me more of a guide," Ramanauskas said.
"When I learned more about it, I just became passionate about it. We’re a bit of a lazy nation at the moment and we don’t do too much. This is something that is just simple.
"The main message really is the healthy lifestyle and healthy wellbeing as well. That’s what we’re trying to get across to people. There is a bit of an obesity problem and this can help in some way so it’s something good to do outside football."

Ramanauskas is also steadily rebuilding his physical strength with the help of long-time friend and club conditioning coach John Quinn.

"It’s more just continually getting that fitness base back again," he said.
"I missed a few pre-seasons so it’s getting that back into you and that hardens you for an AFL year. I think I’m as close as I can be to what I was, within the limitations that I’ve got."

Sheedy, who was in Perth last week watching the Bombers’ inspiring win over Fremantle, said Ramanauskas still had plenty to offer the side.

"He didn’t even rotate off the bench (last week), he played all over the ground like a vacuum cleaner," Sheedy said.
"Without Rama’s two goals they don’t win. He’s probably a player who you could say gets 75 per cent of game time, similar to (Michael) Voss and (James) Hird in their final years.

"That’s the value of four on the bench and he’s a classic case for why you have it." heraldsun.com.au

While your at it..
check out the fitdeck website.
www.fitdeck.com.au

I am hoping Rama does get signed up for another year..
he still has alot to offer. :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

I think that will be it for Rama. Thanks for everything, champ. Hoping he will announce it before the end of the year so he can receive the most amazing, and most likely emotional, thank you that he deserves.

May he enjoy good health, good luck and good wealth in retirement. For anyone needing inspiration to provide strength through tough times, don't look any further than Mr Adam Ramanauskas. :thumbsu:

farewell games for johnson, ramanauskas and peverill in R22 would be appropriate.

i think rama still has the skills there but all the treatment and his knee reco have slowed him down and his stamina isn't there. its a shame as he was our best young midfielder at the turn of the century. one of my all time favourites.

we all appreciate his efforts but he was a liability today. as harsh as it sounds i hope he doesn't go on next year coz he isn't up to afl footy anymore.

Very dissapointed in Knights's comments on his future last week suggesting that he wouldn't make a decision on Rama's future. That if Rama wanted to go on, he'd back him to go on. If he decided to hang them up he'd back him aswell.

Show some spine, be a man and don't take the easy option.

Footy clubs need strong figure heads. Players need strong personalities to work under in order to improve.

Shocking statement, regardless of where Rama's career is at.

Isn't he just saying Rama is a required player but will leave the decision to him.

That's way I read it.

Makes sense to me.

If that were the case then he's made a decision that he's staying on the list next year.

If he's already made that decision with 3 or 4 rounds to go and on the back of his performances this year (and as a 29 year old next year) i'd be worried about his judgement.

If that were the case then he's made a decision that he's staying on the list next year.

If he's already made that decision with 3 or 4 rounds to go and on the back of his performances this year (and as a 29 year old next year) i'd be worried about his judgement.

Do you ever write a positive thing about efc or any of its players?
Or is it just your thing? Knifing people in the back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back