Delisted #38: Jarrod Atkinson

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 38. Jarrod Atkinson

I should wait until trade week is over and the list for 2010 is finalised but I'm pretty sure we'll keep him now.

What are everyone's thoughts to atkinson having a run in the middle? Or keep him on the HBF.

I can see him playing on the wing like he had at Bendigo, but I don't see much of an in and under type player in him to start in the centre..

I think its better for everyone though that he stays down back, just for the short term.

He has the pace & size to have an impact in the middle. His disposal, decsion making and composure need work. Happy to give him a run in the middle in the preseason as a test could really see this kid blossom.

Would also like to see Myers & Hocking given a run in the middle during the presason along with Atko.

Or are we going to rely on run off the HBF from Atko and Dempsey as our source for speed as opposed to putting a speedster in the middle? We've got winders and Zaka looks quick as well, but I'd like to see another player making dashing runs down the ground.

Or are we going to rely on run off the HBF from Atko and Dempsey as our source for speed as opposed to putting a speedster in the middle? We've got winders and Zaka looks quick as well, but I'd like to see another player making dashing runs down the ground.

Our run usually comes down from the half back most the time anyway, when Lovett played on the wing last season, he usually snuck back and gave great run out of defence in most instances..

Also Zaka isn't necessarily fast, just a really smart, agile player.. :thumbsu:

I should wait until trade week is over and the list for 2010 is finalised but I'm pretty sure we'll keep him now.

What are everyone's thoughts to atkinson having a run in the middle? Or keep him on the HBF.

Well it's not like Bendigo's midfield can get any worse, is it?

AFAIC, Atkinson is never going to play in a good team, and will either be delisted this year or next year.

Not good enough.

AFAIC, Atkinson is never going to play in a good team, and will either be delisted this year or next year.

Not good enough.
But after Round 20 when everybody jumped on Essendon, Hutchy said "Gee he's going to be a good player, isn't he". :confused:

Surely Hutchy didn't just watch that game and come to that conclusion?

But after Round 20 when everybody jumped on Essendon, Hutchy said "Gee he's going to be a good player, isn't he". :confused:

Surely Hutchy didn't just watch that game and come to that conclusion?

I can tell you after two finals (or one quasi-final and one genuine thing) that under pressure, Atkinson forgets the difference between football (kick or handball when you've run for 20m and you're about to get tackled in the backline) and rugby (take the hit and gain some more ground).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not good enough.

We have had some good discussions about this guy Ben & you know where I stand. But I feel you are way of the mark about this guy.

He is good enough & will get much better as he plays more games in a more settled team. He is a required player for 2010. Dont take my word for it - look at what the coaching team thinks of him based on the evidence.

The 35 B&F Votes/ 5 games he got ( at 7 votes per game this is a better average than Dempsey at 6.35) this year give me an indication that the coaches reckon he's got a reasonble future at Bomberland.

Furthermore, by the EFC's own admision ( listed in the best players http://www.essendonfc.com.au/matches/fixture.asp) he is listed as one of the best players in rounds 22 Vs Hawks, Rounds 20 Vs Saints,Rounds 19 Vs Lions. He only played two other games for the whole season which were the loss to Freo R21 & the loss to the Crows...

Sure the kid panics a bit under pressure, but so did many a more experienced player in our backline in that final Vs the Crows. Like the rest of the team he played poorly a gainst the Dockers as well. But this will change with more experience playing in a good team with good players around him - the seniors.

With his body size & run he is well suited to our game plan. Additionally the loss of Lovett will help strengthen his selection chances next year as we need his run & carry badly.

He is my early pick for most improved player of 2010 :D

Might hinge on other moves - if we get Burgoyne, it might be effectively Burgoyne into Lovett's spot & Atko might be out - if we don't, Dempsey for eg might move up the ground into Lovett's spot & Atko moves into Dempsey's spot.
Not too fussed either way.

Never going to be an out and out star but he (IMO) is a very solid player and we should keep him until we have better options. He has good pace and size. If even just a depth player, i feel he is worth keeping.

and he should be. Has pace, good in the air and on the ground, is still learning so plenty of room for improvement. Perfect back pocket type and may prove versatile if given opportunites to develop in other positions

and he should be. Has pace, good in the air and on the ground, is still learning so plenty of room for improvement. Perfect back pocket type and may prove versatile if given opportunites to develop in other positions

To me, a perfect back pocket wouldn't consistently concede free kicks in the defensive 50 in a final because of a refusal to dispose of the ball when confronted with a tackle.

To me, a perfect back pocket wouldn't consistently concede free kicks in the defensive 50 in a final because of a refusal to dispose of the ball when confronted with a tackle.

Ben's idea of a perfect back pocket is one who isn't called Jarrod Atkinson

I like the way he thinks.

Mmm.. not really fair Ben.

Against a rampaging home team Adelaide - the Crows kicked there highest ever finals score. Our ruckless outfit bereft of a Lloyd or Lucas were smashed from pillar to post. A forgettable night for many an experienced Bomber, not just Jarrod. Sure he let his colours down. Our best for the day were NLM & trator Mcfumbles. Sure he should have done better, but in reality this game was woeful for our club with such a young team.

Watch the game again & check out the team stats for that game - it will tell you that he was not the worst that day.

I will stand firm in the belief that this kid deserves a shot. His skills & descion making needs work granted, & with his pace & size he has all the right natural gifts required to become an outstanding running HB flanker type. He could play as a hard checking back pocket defender with a creative flair too but he needs more work.

This kid is worth his place in the side & under Knights I expect that he will play at least 7 games next year. If he goes well in these he could challange for a spot. With the loss of Lovett & the experienced Mcphee, Lloyd & Lucas & with so much light youth at the club he should get a good shot & IMO is worthy of it..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back