Retired #14: Jason Johnson

SOT4

Club Legend
Jul 24, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Re: 14. Jason Johnson

We can afford to pay him out. He's taking up a spot on the list, doesn't fit in the team anymore and doesn't provide any depth.

Whats our salary cap situation like? Can we easily afford to pay him out? I know we payed out Lucy but that would've been a lot less money.

We can afford to pay him out. He's taking up a spot on the list, doesn't fit in the team anymore and doesn't provide any depth.

He would be on around 200k so it is a fair splash to pay out.
He has had a groin problem that ended his year so that may explain why he dropped off the pace very quickly after he showed a bit of form at the half way mark.

hulld

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
VIC
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Rockets, Storm, Cowboys

the early knights indication is that our kids, especiall the midfield kind, will be getting more games next season. i wouldn't be surprised now if we cut our losses and cut jj or at least help him find a new club,

perhaps a team like the dogs who lack a bit of grunt would take him for a late pick if we agree to pay part of his salary

Schmick

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2007
Marshmellow Lane
AFL Club
Essendon

the early knights indication is that our kids, especiall the midfield kind, will be getting more games next season. i wouldn't be surprised now if we cut our losses and cut jj or at least help him find a new club,

perhaps a team like the dogs who lack a bit of grunt would take him for a late pick if we agree to pay part of his salary
:D:D:D:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:, just what i wanted to hear.

Stants_24_Legend

Cancelled
Jul 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brisbane Broncos

Im a bit dissapointed in some of u essendon posters.

This guy is an out and out superstar. the only reason he didnt have a good year last year is because he didnt get a full pre season under his belt.

As i have said in a previous thread. In our prime years 99 00 01 he was a standout in most of the games. Comeback game in 01, he basically won us the game with 4 goals and 35 touches or something. He was clearly our best clearance player in our prime and i think he still has it. Let him get a pre season under his belt and see how he goes.

I think JJ will be apart of a very skillful midfield next year and on the run he is a terrific kick. If he lining up for goal, im one of the guys who would like them to go back 30 metres take a bounce and kick it on the run lol.

But Essendon supporters give the man a chance he has had one bad year with injuries and ur saying get rid of him. U guys dissapoint me a lot.

On ya Johnno prove all these critics wrong and get a pre season under belt and so how good u can be

hulld

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
VIC
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Rockets, Storm, Cowboys

we all respect johno and apprecitate what he has done for the club, but people were saying the same thing as you this time last year

hulld

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
VIC
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Rockets, Storm, Cowboys

all i'm saying is that jj was under pressure to keep his spot last year and people said give him a chance etc etc. but he struggled again. i can't see him ever getting close to his best form

wazzabp

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Ballarat
AFL Club
Essendon

While hes been brilliant for us over the years, I think its time for him to retire also. Hes struggled over the last 2 seasons to get back to his best on a consistent basis due to fitness problems, so to go out now would be best for his dignity and best for the club.

Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers

IF he can get fit he's still in our best 22. Could be very good in an off the bench role.

I have severe doubts about his fitness though. He carried our midfield for so long and is paying the price.

Absolute warrior and I wouldn't think any less of him if he attempted another year and it didn't work out.

I saw JJ sprinting up Anderson St (The Tan) today, geez he looks in fantastic shape. Probably the best I've seen him look in the last 5 years. With an injury free pre season I'm confident JJ can recapture his best form.

Had my doubts prior today, cause mainly of his pace and fitness. But now I'm convinced if he stays injury free will add alot of depth and class to our midfield.

KING-JAMES

Club Legend
May 6, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Heat

I saw JJ sprinting up Anderson St (The Tan) today, geez he looks in fantastic shape. Probably the best I've seen him look in the last 5 years. With an injury free pre season I'm confident JJ can recapture his best form.

Had my doubts prior today, cause mainly of his pace and fitness. But now I'm convinced if he stays injury free will add alot of depth and class to our midfield.

Lets hope they all worked as hard over the Christmas break like it sounds JJ has.

all i'm saying is that jj was under pressure to keep his spot last year and people said give him a chance etc etc. but he struggled again. i can't see him ever getting close to his best form

The reason he struggled was becasue of the groin injury he carried and then had operated on late in the year.Very hard to run fast with a groin problem .Things are not always as black and white as you seem to make them when you judge players ;)
The key will be for him to stay injury free. Currently he is in great shape. If he stays that way he will find his old form. If he does get injured again he will struggle to get back to his best.
You cant see things becasue you dont take into account all the facts.....

hulld

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
VIC
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Rockets, Storm, Cowboys

he was in great shape this time last year as well and he ended up giving us nothing

Back