Retired #18: Matthew Lloyd - Diagnosed with Bell's Palsy - 15/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd was a “pre-draft compensation selection” that we were granted for the loss of Todd Ridley to the new club (Freo). I’m sketchy on exactly how it worked, but I assume you just got given a pick for any uncontracted player that you lost. I don’t think it was like a regular draft pick however, ie you couldn’t use it on a player who had nominated for the national draft. Lloyd was only 16 at the time so wouldn’t have been in the national draft (I think the age restrictions were around at the time). There were other clubs who got them as well, a few handy players, Geelong got Stephen King who played 200+ games. Obviously the Bombers hit paydirt.

Just not totally clear on how they worked out (a) who you could select with those picks, and (b) how they worked out the order of these “pre-draft” picks. It wasn’t like GC / GWS where they just rated the player and gave you a commensurate national draft pick.

Lloyd was a “pre-draft compensation selection” that we were granted for the loss of Todd Ridley to the new club (Freo). I’m sketchy on exactly how it worked, but I assume you just got given a pick for any uncontracted player that you lost. I don’t think it was like a regular draft pick however, ie you couldn’t use it on a player who had nominated for the national draft. Lloyd was only 16 at the time so wouldn’t have been in the national draft (I think the age restrictions were around at the time). There were other clubs who got them as well, a few handy players, Geelong got Stephen King who played 200+ games. Obviously the Bombers hit paydirt.

Just not totally clear on how they worked out (a) who you could select with those picks, and (b) how they worked out the order of these “pre-draft” picks. It wasn’t like GC / GWS where they just rated the player and gave you a commensurate national draft pick.

I only recall it sketchily too, but I think that all clubs could offer players to freo. If Freo accepted your player you were then in-line for the compensatory draft. The AFL determined the order based upon who you gave up. We had first pick. I don't know how Ridley equaled first pick, so obviously clubs only put forward rubbish. Anyway we scored bigtime out of freo's introduction. Not so much Port's.

Debuted as a 17 year old Full Forward, and held his own pretty much from the beginning.

Freak.

Disappoints me that a lot of the younger posters on here only remember his last 3-5 years; before that, geez, he was gold.

I remember the 1994 Challenge Cup which was some kind of weird round-robin lightning premiership that was held at Waverley before the season. I think it went over a day or a weekend and Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton played each other interchangeably, probably similar to the first round of the NAB Cup today.

Anyway, my only lucid memory of that day is watching a 16yo kid called Matthew Lloyd come from about 4 deep and take a massive hanger over a pack. The crowd went wild and we all thought, we might have one here.

Agree on Lloyd though... I have a mate who says if you took the first and second halves of his career and swapped em over, he’d be rated far higher than he is now. People (especially opposition supporters) don’t remember what an absolute freak he was at such a young age.

He was better than Franklin has been so far, IMO.

Fastest off the mark in the league
Best pair of hands/mark in the league
Best set shot (by a long, long way) in the league

And he still slotted some freakish goals; the kind that Buddy's renowned for now.

He had it all, really.

Damn that ****ing hamstring.

I only recall it sketchily too, but I think that all clubs could offer players to freo. If Freo accepted your player you were then in-line for the compensatory draft. The AFL determined the order based upon who you gave up. We had first pick. I don't know how Ridley equaled first pick, so obviously clubs only put forward rubbish. Anyway we scored bigtime out of freo's introduction. Not so much Port's.

Pretty sure we put forward more than just Ridley.

Wasn't Dale Kickett and possibly someone else kind of involved in that whole deal, too?

And he still slotted some freakish goals; the kind that Buddy's renowned for now.

He had it all, really.

So, so true.

Was near unstoppable at his best.

The Franklin comparison also reminds me, SirJimi05, that sig of yours needs to be erased! HAD is long gone now so any sig bet you have with him is irrelevant. ;)

I remember the 1994 Challenge Cup which was some kind of weird round-robin lightning premiership that was held at Waverley before the season. I think it went over a day or a weekend and Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton played each other interchangeably, probably similar to the first round of the NAB Cup today.

Anyway, my only lucid memory of that day is watching a 16yo kid called Matthew Lloyd come from about 4 deep and take a massive hanger over a pack. The crowd went wild and we all thought, we might have one here.

Agree on Lloyd though... I have a mate who says if you took the first and second halves of his career and swapped em over, he’d be rated far higher than he is now. People (especially opposition supporters) don’t remember what an absolute freak he was at such a young age.

Was there that day. Fantastic mark.

In my view, Lloyd was the last great full forward. Such a shame that a hamstring injury destroyed his chance at 1,000 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had it all, really.

Dude; not required. Lloyd was comfortably better than Franklin.

He was a freakishly good full forward. Extremely quick, unbelievable marking whether out in front or on top of a pack. An incredible kick of the football. Far and away the best set shot for goal of all the noted forwards since at least Lockett.

I remember his game against Sydney back in 99. Wasn't just the fact he kicked thirteen, but he threw himself at every contest and just decimated Sydney. I remember they tried having three players on him at one stage so he just started jumping over the top.

Don't think he'd turned 21 yet.

Dude; not required. Lloyd was comfortably better than Franklin.

He was a freakishly good full forward. Extremely quick, unbelievable marking whether out in front or on top of a pack. An incredible kick of the football. Far and away the best set shot for goal of all the noted forwards since at least Lockett.

I remember his game against Sydney back in 99. Wasn't just the fact he kicked thirteen, but he threw himself at every contest and just decimated Sydney. I remember they tried having three players on him at one stage so he just started jumping over the top.

Don't think he'd turned 21 yet.
Yeah that game against Sydney was amazing!

Brendon Goddard.

Donate to the Flight Plan :cool:

I know it is off topic ... but ...

There was four players given up by us. Ridley, Delaney, Kickett and one other I can't recall. Lloyd was an out and out gun. I remember in 99 he was a teenager and treated like a legend of the game. The thing that works against Lloyd with everyone looking back is that he was a little one dimensional as a lead and mark player and unfortunately for him he started to hit his peak when Essendon went down hill. Then as we started to gather some momentum with a rebuild we had a coach who didn't know how to manage his fagile ego and he was slightly incapacitated due to never ever getting speed off the mark back. Once he struggled to beat blokes off the mark and he had a rubbish midfield kicking it over his head he was not much danger as a lead up player.

Heh. Fartlek.

Apparently it's Swedish for interval.. so in the Olden Days in Sweden, they'd have a Fartlek halfway through the movie. The more things change eh?

There's a picture in Lloyd's picture of him talking to Delaney soon after the deal was done- he had a fair mop of red on him, did Tony.

mind%20blown.gif

Pretty sure we put forward more than just Ridley.

Wasn't Dale Kickett and possibly someone else kind of involved in that whole deal, too?

Tony Delaney if I remember correctly?

Debuted as a 17 year old Full Forward, and held his own pretty much from the beginning.

Freak.

Disappoints me that a lot of the younger posters on here only remember his last 3-5 years; before that, geez, he was gold.

Pre- Hammy he was mobile hey, but after that he bulked up too much and really lost his biggest asset, which was to get 1 -2 metres on his opponent and clunk those marks.

Played State of Origin by the time he was what 18?

Yeah he was compensatory pick 1 but I remember reading an article about him about 3 months before Essendon nabbed him, he was that highly regarded that he was basically number 1, the draft still wasnt respected back then as much as it was now. I went to Waverly for a round robin series against Carlton and Collingwood. I think he almost took a mark of the year candidate but obviously pre season matches didnt count. Scotty Lucas sprinting up and down the wings.

Watched Lloydy kick his first goal first kick in AFL against the Crowes, we won by plenty.

I know Ridley was one player involved in that deal but we also gave up Dale Kickett, Tony Delaney who was highly rated but never reached his peak because of injury, and one other, it slips my mind.

Damn that hamstring.

Was there anyone so dominant at such as young of an age as Lloyd? In 2000, kicking 100+ he was unanimously the best FF in the competition at what...21 years of age? The game that sticks out for me was in 1996 against Adelaide. Kicked 6, might've been 7 and was clearly best on ground. I think everyone knew we had something special on our hands there.
Guys these days show signs, and promise, and potential at the same age, or latter ages than the age Lloyd was when he was tearing games apart and single handedly winning them.

He started 2006 in sparkling form too, tearing apart Leo Barry. That hamstring cut him off of what looked like not only another 70+ goal year, but his next few years of quality footy when he lost his speed. Not to mention he probably would've been able to last an extra year or 2.

That damn hamstring.

haha i just wrote the same thing.

Damn that hamstring.

Was there anyone so dominant at such as young of an age as Lloyd? In 2000, kicking 100+ he was unanimously the best FF in the competition at what...21 years of age? The game that sticks out for me was in 1996 against Adelaide. Kicked 6, might've been 7 and was clearly best on ground. I think everyone knew we had something special on our hands there.
Guys these days show signs, and promise, and potential at the same age, or latter ages than the age Lloyd was when he was tearing games apart and single handedly winning them.

He started 2006 in sparkling form too, tearing apart Leo Barry. That hamstring cut him off of what looked like not only another 70+ goal year, but his next few years of quality footy when he lost his speed. Not to mention he probably would've been able to last an extra year or 2.

That damn hamstring.

and Knights playing him across HF so we could play Neagle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back