News Past Players Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

FredLeDeux

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Clarke actually did play as a genuine ruck rover, and centreman, and hff, one of our best ever players. He was a great kick for goal, and very fit. Did a lot of off-season speed and distance running, for his on ball roles.
I know, because I used to run with him over summer off-seasons at Landy Field and along the Barwon river tracks.
One of my favourite Clarke memories was a game v South Melbourne, iirc, at Lakeside Oval, and Clarke was matched up on John Pitura. It was a fantastic duel, 2 brilliant and skilled players, each BOG for their teams.
Back then, "a genuine ruck rover" was a player who who actually regularly competed in boundary ruck contests a la Barassi, Whitten, Newland, Pascoe, etc.
He didn't play that role.
He certainly played as a taller non-rucking on-baller, a role which gradually became described as "ruck roving", replacing the original meaning of the term (witness Hocking, for example)

Vdubs

Hall of Famer
Jan 1, 2008
MYOB
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Patriots
Back then, "a genuine ruck rover" was a player who who actually regularly competed in boundary ruck contests a la Barassi, Whitten, Newland, Pascoe, etc.
He didn't play that role.
He certainly played as a taller non-rucking on-baller, a role which gradually became described as "ruck roving", replacing the original meaning of the term (witness Hocking, for example)
Ok, for 30 all, can I say that Clarke led that brigade of players who became what we now know as traditional on-baller ruck rovers?

Vdubs

Hall of Famer
Jan 1, 2008
MYOB
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Patriots
I don't remember Clarke as anything but a HFFer sure he may have played a game here and there away from that position but in my eyes the HHF was it.
Fair enough- it was a while ago.
He has been credited with 32-39 possessions in at least 10 games
He averaged over 21 disposals a game.
His last 2 seasons were well below that and probably dilute his very good averages (1981-1982)
He missed the whole 75 season when he was right at his peak, yet came back to better than his previous best.
He was excellent as a hff, but was our best on-baller during a very lean period at Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad