News Past Players Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Funnily enough, GAS best year for speccies for mine was 1985. Seemed to take at least one per week. You're right - Jacko was often in the pic with GAS riding him.

Jacko had the perfect body to jump over.
He could barely get off the ground and was often the main target at full forward and that allowed Snr to get the perfect ride.

Thanks mate. Wow what a beast he was, the leap the strength the power. I was actually at that game on level 4 ponsford stand going off my nut it was one of the best nights. I dont think my old missus sitting next to me appreciated it but anyway jpod 😍😍😍

As for jezza he has been the only one of all the failed key forwards we have tried since 2013 that is fit to partner hawk in the way pods was, all left foot power and genuis both of them.

Hi there Goggin Our Best, you reminded me of Geelong West happenings.
But, playing a bit of youth footy at St Joey's, for the Nullahs, we were pitted against a team with a GLEN MIDDLEMISS. Unbelievable talent, virtually played as a one man team. I knew he would play senior footy for Geelong one day, such was his ability. But prodigious talent does not always equate to a long career

[Glen Middlemiss was an abundantly talented, sometimes fiery, player who boasted pace and skills aplenty. Capable of playing in a number of different positions, he was arguably best suited to full forward because of his quick leading and strong high marking.

He played his early football at VFA first division side Geelong West. In a match against Williamstown in 1977 he was knocked unconscious in an accidental collision after which he was actually pronounced clinically dead. Upon recovering he was advised never to play football again, counsel which went unheeded.

The 1979 season found Middlemiss at Geelong, where he had a somewhat patchy 34 game, 29 goal career. Midway through the 1981 season he crossed to St Kilda, where he played mostly reserves football, turning out for the seniors only 16 times in three and a half seasons. He kicked 10 goals. During his time with the Saints he was suspended five times for a total of nine games.

After leaving the VFL scene behind Middlemiss journeyed to Queensland where he joined Southport. In the 1985 grand final against Mayne he kicked the winning goal with just over a minute left.

Author - John Devaney}

Does anyone recall him? Not always an accurate kick for goal, and he played in the same team as Peter Johnston for a while!!

Hi there Goggin Our Best, you reminded me of Geelong West happenings.
But, playing a bit of youth footy at St Joey's, for the Nullahs, we were pitted against a team with a GLEN MIDDLEMISS. Unbelievable talent, virtually played as a one man team. I knew he would play senior footy for Geelong one day, such was his ability. But prodigious talent does not always equate to a long career

[Glen Middlemiss was an abundantly talented, sometimes fiery, player who boasted pace and skills aplenty. Capable of playing in a number of different positions, he was arguably best suited to full forward because of his quick leading and strong high marking.

He played his early football at VFA first division side Geelong West. In a match against Williamstown in 1977 he was knocked unconscious in an accidental collision after which he was actually pronounced clinically dead. Upon recovering he was advised never to play football again, counsel which went unheeded.

The 1979 season found Middlemiss at Geelong, where he had a somewhat patchy 34 game, 29 goal career. Midway through the 1981 season he crossed to St Kilda, where he played mostly reserves football, turning out for the seniors only 16 times in three and a half seasons. He kicked 10 goals. During his time with the Saints he was suspended five times for a total of nine games.

After leaving the VFL scene behind Middlemiss journeyed to Queensland where he joined Southport. In the 1985 grand final against Mayne he kicked the winning goal with just over a minute left.

Author - John Devaney}

Does anyone recall him? Not always an accurate kick for goal, and he played in the same team as Peter Johnston for a while!!
He played when we were renowned for not being the most physical side - he was pretty hard at it. Slightly undersized for key position.

He played when we were renowned for not being the most physical side - he was pretty hard at it. Slightly undersized for key position.
188/90.
I was in awe of him when he was a kid player. Our team hardly scored, and iirc, he may have kicked 20 goals himself! Could not imagine a player could ever be better. Son of Russell Middlemiss, Cats Premiership player. Funny how these prodigious talents seem like mere mortals when up against others of the same ilk.

Rip Mario Bortolotto.
Those of us who are a bit long in the fang will remember him as a young Geelong player in 1979,80 before moving to Carlton.

Mario Bortolotto.JPG

Boris 41 today.

corey haim 80s movies GIF by absurdnoise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a really good 30 minute tribute to MICKY TURNER #9, after retiring from Geelong Falcons 2 years ago (25 years of service).
The tributes included many past Falcon Cats and current guns in Jack Henry, Gryan Miers, and Tanner Bruhn.
Unfortunately, it's blocked from being uploaded.
Sounds like he's retired to Lorne and will surf to his heart's content.

Tom Lonergan has joined Carlton football club as Development and Talent Manager. Good luck to Tom, even if he’s at a rival club.

Sorry - i didnt see your earlier post about Glen Middlemiss

For mine - he wasted his career - should have played 150 senior games - he was quite talented - verstalie - and had good skill

2 games come to memory - that i attended

Collingwood game at Victoria Park - he was playing full forward - packed house - in the 1st qtr - he swooped on the the ball 25 metres out from Geelongs goal - and going at top pace - youd swear it was Gary Ablett Snr - he tucked the ball into his chest with 1 arm - and with the free arm - lifted the foreman and absolutely crunched little Ronnie Wearmouth - gave him a blood nose and a freekick - Middlemiss had old fashioned dirt in him

And the other game was against Haw at Waverley - and Middlemiss played fullback on Michael Moncrief - and absolutely beat him pointless - and so did the Cats to the Hawks - the Hawks only kicked about 3 goals - and Geel kicked nearly 20

Billy Goggin was a great player - but when he was coaching - he did tend to make rash decisions - made Brian Peake captain after 13 games - Bortalotto got sold off to Carlton - Andy Preston was sold off to Richmond - and played good football for the Tigers - and Middlemiss got the flick to StKilda

Like i say - he should have played 150 games for Geel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back