News Past Players Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I still love Tom Ruggles. I get why he didn’t make it but cmon he was still good depth himself!

Sorry - i didnt see your earlier post about Glen Middlemiss

For mine - he wasted his career - should have played 150 senior games - he was quite talented - verstalie - and had good skill

2 games come to memory - that i attended

Collingwood game at Victoria Park - he was playing full forward - packed house - in the 1st qtr - he swooped on the the ball 25 metres out from Geelongs goal - and going at top pace - youd swear it was Gary Ablett Snr - he tucked the ball into his chest with 1 arm - and with the free arm - lifted the foreman and absolutely crunched little Ronnie Wearmouth - gave him a blood nose and a freekick - Middlemiss had old fashioned dirt in him

And the other game was against Haw at Waverley - and Middlemiss played fullback on Michael Moncrief - and absolutely beat him pointless - and so did the Cats to the Hawks - the Hawks only kicked about 3 goals - and Geel kicked nearly 20

Billy Goggin was a great player - but when he was coaching - he did tend to make rash decisions - made Brian Peake captain after 13 games - Bortalotto got sold off to Carlton - Andy Preston was sold off to Richmond - and played good football for the Tigers - and Middlemiss got the flick to StKilda

Like i say - he should have played 150 games for Geel
I remember the game vs Moncrieff.
As they moved into position at the start of the game, Moncrieff put his hand out to shake and Middlemiss slapped it away 😬

I wasn't sure where to put this mods; Peter Pianto has his own dedicated thread somewhere; I'm sure I posted when he passed on.

Anyway, I stumbled across this quite good - and recent - tribute to Pianto - is this a Big Footy poster's work?

I enjoyed it; Pianto talks about his impressions of one of the club's truly great era's - I particularly enjoyed the part where he quickly concludes that his best is as good as his new peers upon joining the Cats.

Evidently rated Essendon's Bill Hutchinson highly, too.

Anyway; I love these anecdotal accounts of past Geelong eras and Pianto covers some interesting ground here.

Unfortunately evidently there's not a lot of footage of the man actually playing; 10m50s is probably the best look at what he could do, and even that is fragmentary.

I wasn't sure where to put this mods; Peter Pianto has his own dedicated thread somewhere; I'm sure I posted when he passed on.

Anyway, I stumbled across this quite good - and recent - tribute to Pianto - is this a Big Footy poster's work?

I enjoyed it; Pianto talks about his impressions of one of the club's truly great era's - I particularly enjoyed the part where he quickly concludes that his best is as good as his new peers upon joining the Cats.

Evidently rated Essendon's Bill Hutchinson highly, too.

Anyway; I love these anecdotal accounts of past Geelong eras and Pianto covers some interesting ground here.

Unfortunately evidently there's not a lot of footage of the man actually playing; 10m50s is probably the best look at what he could do, and even that is fragmentary.

Sometimes under-rated today, but many barrackers from that time generally placed him on a par with Flanagan, Davis and Smith as our best of the era.

Sometimes under-rated today, but many barrackers from that time generally placed him on a par with Flanagan, Davis and Smith as our best of the era.

Definitely get that impression from all I’ve read and heard.
Although maybe Smith the best of the lot??
I’m always interested in finding out more from that early 50s era; dominant team packed with exciting talent.

324730566_1002517577264797_956537782590882761_n.jpg

My hero as a kid, got to work with him briefly in 2002ish. Lovely man
Interesting. Never warmed to him after his defection to NM. Before that he was a bit of a hero for me too. That move to NM was nowhere near as acceptable back then as it is now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Random question that I am hoping Cats fans with better memories than mine can recall.

Must have been around 1983 I think, but does anyone remember a young Andrew Bews kicking maybe 3-4 goals in the last quarter of a game to pinch a win for us?

Bit light-on for detail I know, can't actually recall the opposition.

Random question that I am hoping Cats fans with better memories than mine can recall.

Must have been around 1983 I think, but does anyone remember a young Andrew Bews kicking maybe 3-4 goals in the last quarter of a game to pinch a win for us?

Likely to have been against Carlton at Princes Park in 1983. We won by a couple of goals after trailing at 3/4 time.

All the other games I've found where Bews kicked 3+ we either lost or won by heaps.

Likely to have been against Carlton at Princes Park in 1983. We won by a couple of goals after trailing at 3/4 time.

All the other games I've found where Bews kicked 3+ we either lost or won by heaps.

Cheers Generalissimo that's the one I was eyeballing stat-wise too ... wish I could recall the details a bit better, I'm reasonably sure Bews kicked 3 goals as the clock ran down in the last to win the game ...

Cheers Generalissimo that's the one I was eyeballing stat-wise too ... wish I could recall the details a bit better, I'm reasonably sure Bews kicked 3 goals as the clock ran down in the last to win the game ...

I did find a 'highlights' video on YouTube for the game, but didn't bother posting it as it was 99% Carlton highlights. Only showed one Geelong goal (Terry Bright snap).
Only vision of Bews was him getting caught holding the ball. :D
Geelong seemed to be about 3 goals down half way through the last quarter, but video doesn't even mention Geelong won.

I did find a 'highlights' video on YouTube for the game, but didn't bother posting it as it was 99% Carlton highlights. Only showed one Geelong goal (Terry Bright snap).
Only vision of Bews was him getting caught holding the ball. :D
Geelong seemed to be about 3 goals down half way through the last quarter, but video doesn't even mention Geelong won.

I saw that one too TT, must have been part of the ''Blueseum'' ... :rolleyes:

Maybe 1985 vs Richmond - Rd 10
We were 2 goals at 3/4 time and kicked 11 in the last to win by 50pts.
Bees kicked 6 - 5 in the last.

I bowled with Frank Pomeroy tonight. He had some interesting stories about Bobby Davis and Ted Whitten.

Ex Geelong and Nth Melbourne ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back