News Past Players Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

For those of us with failing grey cells, or who live interstate + didn't get to see every single Geelong game, or who followed the team more religiously over different years/eras, could the names of the players be included please?
Kent Kingsley left,Cameron Thurley on the right.

yeh Bruce was unreal!
At one point, he was just as dominant as Ablett and both were on either flank terrorizing defenses.

Again, what happened to him?
Did he get too old or something because he was one of our best players in the 89 grand final and then six games later, he was gone
No, didn't he return to SA + play for the Crows? BBS, I'll Google.

We thought it was fantastic! We didn't know anything different, or better. Just think that in 30 years your grand kids will say, the Internet really sucked 30 years before I was born! :p It was a life line for my Dad + me, watching the VFL on TV then + I loved it when Polly Farmer played the handball comp on Sunday morning, I've forgotten what it was called, but Bobby Davis, Jack Dyer + Lou Richards. What was Bobby's nickname? My memory is really failing me! :(
Woofa.

We thought it was fantastic! We didn't know anything different, or better. Just think that in 30 years your grand kids will say, the Internet really sucked 30 years before I was born! :p It was a life line for my Dad + me, watching the VFL on TV then + I loved it when Polly Farmer played the handball comp on Sunday morning, I've forgotten what it was called, but Bobby Davis, Jack Dyer + Lou Richards. What was Bobby's nickname? My memory is really failing me! :(
Bobby was "The Geelong Flyer", Kitty.

Bobby_ + Partridge -

"Lindner left Geelong after the 1990 season and returned home to South Australia to play for the newly formed Adelaide Football Club. He was a member of their inaugural side which easily defeated defending premiers Hawthorn at Football Park. The Crows defeated The Hawks by 86 points 24.11 (155) to 9.15 (69). Lindner, playing in his preferred half forward, had 9 kicks and 6 handballs and kicked 4.2 (26) for The Crows in front of 44,902 fans at Football Park. Bruce would go on to play 11 games for Adelaide and kick 15 goals in 1991 season.

Bruce Lindner played only 8 games for Adelaide in 1992 and played with West Adelaide when not selected or injured. He retired in 1993 after sustaining a broken leg in four places in a trail bike accident."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lindner

Bobby_ + Partridge -

"Lindner left Geelong after the 1990 season and returned home to South Australia to play for the newly formed Adelaide Football Club. He was a member of their inaugural side which easily defeated defending premiers Hawthorn at Football Park. The Crows defeated The Hawks by 86 points 24.11 (155) to 9.15 (69). Lindner, playing in his preferred half forward, had 9 kicks and 6 handballs and kicked 4.2 (26) for The Crows in front of 44,902 fans at Football Park. Bruce would go on to play 11 games for Adelaide and kick 15 goals in 1991 season.

Bruce Lindner played only 8 games for Adelaide in 1992 and played with West Adelaide when not selected or injured. He retired in 1993 after sustaining a broken leg in four places in a trail bike accident."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lindner
:(

Kent Kingsley left,Cameron Thurley on the right.
Just gave myself a slap to the back of the head + said "Doh!!!" Of course!!! Thanks!!! My poor old brain is feeling the effects of the chemicals from the 1970's :eek: :oops: :p :D

You'd think Bruce might have rested the leg after the first place!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to get some vision of the great days of Farmer's ruck and handballing brilliance, and those stabs by Billy Goggin, hitting Wade and Sharrock on the chest. They are so etched in my mind I know they must be out there somewhere.
Goggin was my footy hero in the 60's, early 70's and I nearly tore my thigh as a kid trying to perfect those stab passes out on the Noble street oval near St Joey's with some repetitive solo efforts. The Darcy family lived next door to the oval, and occasionally a tiny Tim would come and relieve me of my "autism" and have a kick- Tim Darcy was already a gun at age 6, just knew he would make the senior list one day.

Some of the names I'd like to get some info / vision on include -
Newman at his best;
Polinelli;....the speed
Goggin;.... the stabs
Marshall;....the class
Vinar;.....the kicking, Ben Graham like.
Bos;.....the best tackler Geelong may have had
Blake snr!!!!......the longest tapouts ever
Malarkey; .....the bulkiest thighs ever
Jefferies;.....spectacular leap and left foot kick
Turner;......sheer speed with the ball
Peter Walker;......never beaten at CHB
just for starters.

Royce Hart beat Walker in the 67 GF…….though thats no slight. Hart was a champion.

There is vision of Walker somewhere…maybe the 67 footage…drop kicking down the ground….he was a class player.

yeh Bruce was unreal!
At one point, he was just as dominant as Ablett and both were on either flank terrorizing defenses.

Did he get too old or something because he was one of our best players in the 89 grand final and then six games later, he was gone
Other than being a bit of a fig jam he had zero discipline in 1990.
I can clearly remember seeing him smashed at the Lyric every 2nd weekend in 1990.

yeh Bruce was unreal!

They were always good for 8.15 a game between them. :p

Ahh League Teams. The memories come flooding back.
Yes!!! League Teams! Rabbi, I loved Sunday mornings, after my parents had a dinner party the previous night! They'd be sleeping in, I'd raid the fridge + eat the leftovers from the dinner party + watch League Teams, having cups of tea + scoffing Pavlova + Praline Mousse - it was heaven! We didn't get League Teams in Sydney on a Thursday.

For all you young whipper-snappers, if you'd like to brush up on your TV VFL history, watch League Teams

Some great footage here of Geelong training at Kardinia Park in premiership year 1963.

Players in Geelong and alternative club training guernseys. Polly Farmer kicking is a treat. Great footage of Davis, also.

By the looks of the light, the attire of some spectators, and some background deciduous trees just starting to come into bloom (though hard to tell precisely with the vision), I'd say it's first month of Spring in Geelong. So, if correct, this makes it a training session in September 63.

Last edited:
Some great footage here of Geelong training at Kardinia Park in premiership year 1963.

Players in Geelong and alternative club training guernseys. Polly farmer kicking is a treat. Great footage of Davis, also.

By the looks of the light, the attire of some spectators, and some background deciduous trees just starting to come into bloom (though hard to tell precisely with the vision), I'd say it's first month of Spring in Geelong. So, if correct, this makes it a training session in September 63.

That's excellent, NB! Thanks for finding and posting that. :) It's lovely to see the boys having a bit of a joke around.

Players in Geelong and alternative club training guernseys. Polly farmer kicking is a treat. Great footage of Davis, also.

Great footage, but gee (no pun in tended), what an average ground it was back then!

It is, I agree. The footage of Farmer doing a little shimmy toward the camera around 0.43 is gold. Of course, this is the year Davis had a clown lead the players out onto the ground for the GF.
Yeah- Polly looked very comfortable in front of the camera.
I hadn't heard about the clown- Davis was quite a character and it doesn't surprise me!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back