News Past Players Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I may need a little help from my friends here, not a music thread either, but saw it on another board, and maybe we could pay tribute to many of our classic past players.
Old cards, stats, snippets of play, hts, wts, games etc.
Fred would have some beauties, and I can go back as far as Peter Walker, Billy Goggin etc.
I do have some trouble getting the info and putting it on BF.
Sorry Teriyaki.

I may need a little help from my friends here, not a music thread either, but saw it on another board, and maybe we could pay tribute to many of our classic past players.
Fred would have some beauties, and I can go back as far as Peter Walker, Billy Goggin etc.
Sorry Teriyaki.
I would have seen Fred Le Deux play but I can't place him.

52818365-kent-kingsley-and-cameron-thurley-for-geelong-gettyimages.jpg

One of my mates, Polly Farmer here on BF is going to start the ball rolling with Johnny Sharrock, almost his favourite player ever.

Saw this on the Hawks board, they are doing John Hendrie this week.

One of my mates, Polly Farmer here on BF is going to start the ball rolling with Johnny Sharrock, almost his favourite player ever.

Saw this on the Hawks board, they are doing John Hendrie this week.

Two games from yesteryear that i would love to see

1967 Preliminary final - against Carlton- just the 3rd qtr would do- Geelong down by 4 goals at half time - 3rd qtr Cats kick 8 goals to 1 - and Sharrock on a half forward flank kicked 4 - if they were anything like that 70 metre torp goal he kicked the following week in the last qtr of the GF -then it would be well worth watching

Also the 1970 second semi final ( i went to that game as a kid) Collingwood beat Carlton by about a goal - in a high scoring epic - McKenna kicked 9 - Jezzalenko kicked 8- Syd Jackson got reported for striking Lee Adamson - and got off the charge - saying Adamson had a go at the colour of his skin - when in fact he didnt- god back in those days Collingwood and Carlton hated each other

Fox Footy have got both those games ( because they bought all the old channel 2 vision) but they cant be aaarsed showing them - they are the laziest baaarstds on earth - Fox Footy

I was just 13 years old and I was very upset with our first half against Carlton in the 1967 Prelim Final, but could not believe the 3rd quarter played by Johnny Sharrock. He kicked 4 goals in the third term and I have a recollection that he also took an amazing mark flying on some poor bluebagger's shoulders. He literally changed the game with his brilliance (11 goals 4 behinds to 1 goal 8 behinds after half time!!)

Was a beautiful left foot kick and oozed class - a typical 1960's Geelong player. I recall another game on a muddy Glenferrie Oval when we beat the Hawks by ~ 8 points and Sharrock kicked an amazing 7 goals from the half forward flank. Doug Wade got injured and didn't play and Gareth Andrews played at full-forward and didn't even try to mark - just palmed the ball into Sharrock's path. I truly believe he would have been rated right up with all of our greats if he had kept playing (only 94 games in all).

Here's his official stats - http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/John_Sharrock.html

Sadly he did his knee in 1968 and never played again, but was 3rd in the Brownlow that year I believe despite playing mostly at full back.

Is that Biscuit Arnott's?
I often thought he looked a player when he came to Geelong.
Checking out his stats, he gathered 20 touches (7 contested), 4½ marks, 4 inside fifties, 2 clearances & booted 20 goals in the 26 games he played for geelong in seasons 99/00.

24 yrs of age when he played his last game, I wonder what happened to him?

Sorry Teriyaki.

I'm a bit slower than usual tonight Vdubs; read this a couple of times before the Beatles reference clicked :drunk:

Top idea for a thread and a chance for some of our more seasoned posters to share some stories about past players, something that I personally always enjoy.

:thumbsu:

Is that Biscuit Arnott's?
I often thought he looked a player when he came to Geelong.
Checking out his stats, he gathered 20 touches (7 contested), 4½ marks, 4 inside fifties, 2 clearances & booted 20 goals in the 26 games he played for geelong in seasons 99/00.

24 yrs of age when he played his last game, I wonder what happened to him?

thought it might be Thurley?

Arnott was a bit stiff at selection a few times I thought ... we were horrible at that stage ..

oh right, thanks Cat.

Yeh' stiff I reckon. One of his very last games in season 00 against Hawthorn was outstanding it seems. 27 touches, 13 marks and 3 goals. Must have got injured or something.

just guessing, I'm probably wrong ... no surprise to see you in this thread Bobby_ , you seem to enjoy the historical stuff and stories of the ol' timers much like myself

yeh I do. I am always thinking about past players and what they may be doing this very minute in their lives. Time flies by and remembering them as classy footballers to what they'd be today (heading into their 40's & 50's), shame they don't hang around on these kind of websites to give us some inside knowledge of what footy was like when we were in our bleakest hour in the clubs long and rich history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a vague recollection of Sharrock's 7 goal game….maybe someone could check, as I may be wrong, but did he only have 7 kicks that day?

He was a class player all right.

Bruce Lindner was another favourite. Does anyone remember this game on a damp saturday afternoon at the MCG?:

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1988/091219880409.html

I thought Bruce Lindner kicked 9 goals 9 behinds, but it was only 9 goals 6 behinds. He was unbelievable - virtually Gary Ablett Senior like! I ran out out space on the Football record - if he kicked straight he could have kicked 15 goals at least.

Yep Sharrock was one of my favourite Geelong player from that time and we had some beauties in the period 63 to 68,one of the smoothest movers on a footy field you would ever see he was one of that rare bread that seem to have plenty of time,he could play both ends of the ground but half forward flank being hit up by Goggin with bullet like stab passes are the greatest memories for me.Interestingly some of us were discussing the risk to players from other activities outside of footy in a thread last week and contrary to wikipedia I reckon the knee injury that finished John off was sustained playing tennis,but it's a while ago so I could be wrong on that.

Last edited:
i know I saw Sharrock play but I was only 7 and don't remember anything about him. But it was the star studded Cats' list that got me hooked on the team - Goggin, Farmer, Marshall, Wade, Lord, Lord, Devine,Sharrock, Walker, Ryan et al.

Did the 1960s Cats underachieve?

Yep Sharrock was one of my favourite Geelong player from that time and we had some beauties in the period 63 to 68,one of the smoothest movers on a footy field you would ever see he was one of that rare bread that seem to have plenty of time,he could play both ends of the ground but half forward flank being hit up by Goggin with bullet like stab passes are the greatest memories for me.Interestingly some of us were discussing the risk to players from other activities outside of footy in a thread last week and contrary to wikipedia I reckon the knee injury that finished John off was sustained playing tennis,but it's a while ago so I could be wrong on that.
After pollyfarmer posted his Sharrock memories, I had a look to see if I could find any footage of him- there isn't much from those days but I did see Polly Farmer- the real guy- whacking the ball out of the ruck and getting those wonderful handpasses out soooo smoothly.
And Tony Polinelli- just like Speedy Gonzales.... :)

i know I saw Sharrock play but I was only 7 and don't remember anything about him. But it was the star studded Cats' list that got me hooked on the team - Goggin, Farmer, Marshall, Wade, Lord, Lord, Devine,Sharrock, Walker, Ryan et al.

Did the 1960s Cats underachieve?

It's that list of players that saw me become a Geelong supporter in the early 1960's (all my family were Richmond fanatics). I didn't enjoy 1967 or 1969 but I reckon I've got it all over them now!!

I'd say we should have easily won 3 premierships in the 1960's. We were robbed in 1962 and 1967 for sure. When you think of that player list - most them were superstars really and fantastic to watch. You could easily add Sam Newman to that list as well.

Bill Ryan was probably one of the best marks of all time (together with Peter Johnson), but an absolutely lousy kick!! I think Bill Ryan once took over 20 marks in the back pocket against Hawthorn and it completely nullified Peter Hudson. In fact Hudson hardly ever did much against us I believe.

These memories are probably bringing back just how much we probably did underachieve for some reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back