News Past Players Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I searched for a thread on this topic and could not find one. A thousand pardons if there is one.
But I am interested in what former players are doing now.

Here's the last few minutes of the 1967 VFL GF, between Geelong and Richmond:

Or you can watch the last quarter here:

I thought we were robbed but clearly, we would still have lost by a point had Goggin's goal been 'adjudged" correctly

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I thought we were robbed but clearly, we would still have lost by a point had Goggin's goal been 'adjudged" correctly
Not so sure. Clean mark to wade 15 out not paid. Sharrock collected the ball in goalsquare and goaled. Not paid. Said he was over the line. Rushed point given to richmond that didnt reach the line. At which point we were streaming out of defense. Then goggins goal not allowed. Swift a metre over the line paid mark. All this in the last quarter. Very stiff the 67 cats. Thought so then. Still havent changed my view.
Farmer, Goggin, Marshall, Mitchell, Closter, Polinelli, Newland, Sharrock and Eales all terrific in the last quarter.
Robbed.
Thanks for the outstanding memories though

Not so sure. Clean mark to wade 15 out not paid. Sharrock collected the ball in goalsquare and goaled. Not paid. Said he was over the line. Rushed point given to richmond that didnt reach the line. At which point we were streaming out of defense. Then goggins goal not allowed. Swift a metre over the line paid mark. All this in the last quarter. Very stiff the 67 cats. Thought so then. Still havent changed my view.
Farmer, Goggin, Marshall, Mitchell, Closter, Polinelli, Newland, Sharrock and Eales all terrific in the last quarter.
Robbed.
Thanks for the outstanding memories though
Wish you hadn't reminded me of those other truths.
I only watched that last 4 minute one just then.
You are correct- we were robbed.

Gary junior is back at Geelong.

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I searched for a thread on this topic and could not find one. A thousand pardons if there is one.
But I am interested in what former players are doing now.

Which former player, rabbi?

Tim Darcy is doing well in real estate in Geelong. Met him at Adelaide Oval, of all places, at the Prelim last year.

Living in his parents old home in Newtown.
So precocious was he as a junior talent that when he was aged 5 I can recall having a kick of the footy with him on the Noble St oval and I was quite a few years older.

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
John Sharrock was a favourite player when I was a lad. Almost all the names mentioned were also favourites (so many). I recall that Denis Marshall playing out of the centre was no slouch and Geoff Rosenow in the back pocket went OK too. Also a bloke called Paul Vinar at full back was pretty good.
I have great memories of playing games in the empty block next door by myself. Farmer to Goggin, quick hand pass to Marshall who gets it to Pollinelli on the wing, he's off, two bounces and a stab pass to Sharrock in front 15 out. When I was around 8 (maybe 9 or 10) I could launch a fantastic drop kick 40 yards and a stab pass over 20 that never went higher than 3 feet and would leave an impression of the laces on your chest if you were on the receiving end. It's all about balance and timing, a bit like golf.
I'm not to certain about Bill Ryan being a dud kick. I remember him being a prodigious drop kick, launching them 60 yards consistently. He was a bit like Cam Mooney in that he would miss simple shots in close but much better from a long way out.
Comparing Ryan and Mooney is a bit silly. Ryan was a MUCH better player than Mooney. Had an awkward but effective kicking style(60% conversion) as did Gareth Andrews and David Clarke for that matter. Ryan took towering marks and had vice like hands. I do remember Wade telling him to get the fcuk outta my space on a number of occasions. You could hear that from the outta in those days! In Mooney's defence I have never forgiven and never will for his pathetic performance in the 2008 GF that is the rite of any supporter...lol.

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Tim Darcy is doing well in real estate in Geelong. Met him at Adelaide Oval, of all places, at the Prelim last year.

Living in his parents old home in Newtown.
So precocious was he as a junior talent that when he was aged 5 I can recall having a kick of the footy with him on the Noble St oval and I was quite a few years older.
Replace Darcy with Scarlett or any number of Geelong FB's to the 60's...West, Malarkey...J Scarlett...maybe even Ben Graham and Geelong would have been better in his era.

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Hmm... yeah.. ask Dermie how hard-hitting Mark was ;)
To be honest not hard enough...he should have jumped on him and belted him properly! I hate that GF Geelong played with no defense Darcy , Shultz..Hocking were totally ineffective. We never looked like winning and the" if it had gone another 5 or 10 mins we would have won is BS. We leaked goals all day and only GOD kept us in the game.

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Good morning, agree on those two in the GF. Hynes shoulda done alright but, he was built like Wade. :rolleyes:

Also, I was going to ask whether you noticed your mate Geoff Rosenow down in the goal square at the start of that clip.
C'mon man Hynes was built nothing like Wade or did I miss a joke. Rubbed out for kicking a bloke who was behind him probably screwed his career somewhat. Retired at 24 and legend in GFL where all who played against him admired his skills.

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Incredibly consistent player, very rarely out of our Best 6, another in the club's long line of outstanding centremen, and deservedly a member of our Team of the Century.
Clarke a centre man I don't think so. Had a very hot start to his career and extremely fit and single minded man. Career tailed off as injuries took their toll. May have played in the centre as onball type ruck rover etc..but was handy around the goals. Would not be in my team of the century but certainly in the Pyramid Hall of Shame. Just a tad behind William Farrow. Unfortunately kept his fortune and according to some who know not worked in the real sense since 1991.

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Featherby is probably why Brian Peake floundered at Geelong, at least that's my opinion. Both could really only play one position - in the middle. And problem was Featherby owned the position. I recall when Featherby was injured, and Peake played in the middle against Footscray, he absolutely dominated.

We've had some classy centremen over the years - Alistair Lord, Wayne Closter, Peter Featherby, Greg Williams, Brian Peake, Paul Couch
I was in WA when Peake signed. A 40 possession a game player in a totally different type of league. Big grounds open spaces less pressure etc in the WAFL. Same era as Rob Wiley another 40 possession type player. He was nicknamed "Pasties" and that summed him up he was 28/29 when he came to Geelong. He played some ok footy but NOTHING like his WAFL output. Closter was a wingman in my recollection and kicked very well both feet...certainly would have had time in the middle. Marshall was my pick of the centre men and SHOULD have won the brownlow in 1968.

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Why did Clarke leave Geelong?
Probably a range of factors ..did he get on with Goggin or was he looking to join the toffs at Carlton. Probably knew Mike Fitzpatrick. Pyramid was on the rise and some contacts in the Melbourne Establishment aka John Elliot would have been handy for the ambitious Clarke. He was past his best anyway.

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Walking with "Polly Farmer " tonight, discussing a Geelong team made up of the MOST EXCITING players we've had. Not necessarily the best, but those that made the game more spectacular and watchable.
This looks to be a pretty good line-up.
Thoughts?
FB J Hawkins Scarlett Wojcinski
HB Hinkley Graham Marshall
C Turner Alistair Lord Motlop
HF Sharrock Mooney Ablett snr
FF Newman Brownless Lindner
R Farmer Ablett jnr Goggin
IC G Hocking Jackson S Johnson R Burns
EMER P Lynch, Bizzell, JEFFREYS
Sure there are some excitement machines missing there, and I would have loved a spot for Paul Lynch, maybe instead of Burns. Bill Ryan and Paul Vinar also had moments of thrill factor
I would have John Scarlett at full back for excitement...he took one handed marks and just took off out of the backline. Peter Walker CHB no more to say. Marshall in the Middle Enright at HBF. Bill Ryan in Mooney out Ryan was a sensational mark with a 60% conversion rate. Only one FF and that is Wade big mark great kick and TOUGH as nails BB not fit to shine his boots. Chapman comes in No Linder Chappy is a great in my view..just a team lifting excitement MACHINE...Sharrock I like but SJ for thrills is a no brainer...Sharrock was the classic will o the Wisp. Nothing more exciting than Tony Polinelli dashing off a wing unbelievable pace.(runner up Stawell gift). Stephen Lunn also had plenty of pace...and maybe "Scratcher" Neal the ugliest red head on the planet..even tho he could still pull a bird or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back