Patersons Stadium (Subiaco Oval) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It's almost an out of body experience passing through West Leederville station and not seeing the 3-tier stand or the light towers. I can't imagine what it would be like if the same thing now happened to something like Docklands or The Gabba.

It's almost an out of body experience passing through West Leederville station and not seeing the 3-tier stand or the light towers. I can't imagine what it would be like if the same thing now happened to something like Docklands or The Gabba.
3 tier stand was there for 50 years - opened in time for 1969 season.

Of all the major stadiums in Oz, I reckon that would have been the second oldest when they started knocking it down. Can only think of the Ladies Stand at the SCG surviving the bulldozers over the last 30 years or so.

Looks like a city grand stand plonked onto a country ground.

View attachment 873423

The idea was that stand would be on the wing of an oval running North/South extending close to the railway reserve.
Also the idea was for the stand to extend all the way around the ground making for a super stadium.
Instead Subiaco Oval was developed two story only along existing lines which led to the wings being thinly accommodated.

Looks like a city grand stand plonked onto a country ground.

View attachment 873423
Are you saying it was opened 1973 or that's the date of your picture?

1969 was always what I was told, heard or read it opened, so I looked up the Austadium page for Subi. Looks like it was opened in time for 1969 finals not full season.

Subiaco Oval was built in 1908 and was then known as Mueller Park, with the first match on 9th of May in that year between Subiaco and East Perth. The facilities have been consistently improved since. The three-tier grandstand which dominates the end behind the goals opened on 31 August 1969 and the two-tier Stand on the members’ wing on 27 April 1981. The stand opposite the members stand opened on 14 May 1995 which included two tiers of seating and corporate boxes on the wing.

a0e7552a65bc74e0bfdf002e4131c7b7.jpg

5219ba948ca989c918ebc56234c2997d.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back