WAFL Grand Finals
Whispers in the Sky Controversy

Discuss best games, memories or more history below.​

LadyPants

Cancelled
Jun 14, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
My favourite memory was the first AFL match I went to after I moved to Perth, the infamous Whispers in the Sky match. I was with a few mates all supporting Freo, the ride home was less than enjoyable.

No doubt for me, favourite game was 8th Sept 1991 - Qualifying Final

Hawthorn V West Coast....

First final for West Coast (at Subiaco)...

Hawks had been beaten 3 weeks before at Subiaco by 24 points, but this time in a final, the Hawks won by 23 points....

Was a very tight game up until 3 quarter time and then Dunstall some how got off the leash Brennan had him on and lit it up...Brereton had gone off with a knee injury in the 1st quarter but would return for the GF (against the Eagles)...

Wasn't a huge amount of Hawks supporters there that day, but those that were, made a hell of noise, in particular after the game....was a great walk back to the car after beating an arch enemy...

Luigi742

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Western Force, Rabbitohs, Glory
My favourite memory of subi was the western force's first home win

[YOUTUBE]9Hsr__drwRI[/YOUTUBE]

as much as it's a terrible venue for rugby/soccer, it's a fantastic venue for footy, but I doubt it will be missed when the new stadium is finished.

The impression that I got from the ground was just how grotty looking some of the seats in the front row of the NAB Stand (Mainwaring Wing) were. Even if they are moving elsewhere soon enough surely they can get replaced so it looks a lot cleaner.

Luigi742

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
The impression that I got from the ground was just how grotty looking some of the seats in the front row of the NAB Stand (Mainwaring Wing) were. Even if they are moving elsewhere soon enough surely they can get replaced so it looks a lot cleaner.

Have you ever been there? Mate, all the seats are grotty.

Geoff

Premium Platinum
May 13, 2004
W.A.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
The wreckers ball is well and truly overdue. The stadium is a flea pit and by far the worst stadium in the AFL. Seating is mediocre to appalling, Queuing for a beer a pie or a piss the norm.

Blue and Gold Blood

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
west coast
I'm sure that the 3 tier stand at the Subi end must violate a multitude of health and safety laws.
It definitely isnt safe in case of a fire. After an Eagles win most fans stay until the team has left the oval, particularly on the side they walk off. As a fan trying to get out of the ground, you literally get bottlenecked in 3 different areas from the grandstand, and the lighting is so bad you can see where your feet and stepping walking down the stairs. Its a major hazard, and should a fire start and we all have to leave quickly - people would no doubt get trampled and fall down the stairs.

There probably hasnt been an honest Occ health and safety report done at Subi in over 10 years because basically to make it safe would require bulldozing the thing.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
It definitely isnt safe in case of a fire. After an Eagles win most fans stay until the team has left the oval, particularly on the side they walk off. As a fan trying to get out of the ground, you literally get bottlenecked in 3 different areas from the grandstand, and the lighting is so bad you can see where your feet and stepping walking down the stairs. Its a major hazard, and should a fire start and we all have to leave quickly - people would no doubt get trampled and fall down the stairs.

There probably hasnt been an honest Occ health and safety report done at Subi in over 10 years because basically to make it safe would require bulldozing the thing.
I totally agree. I've only sat in the highest part of the three tier stand on only a few occasions. Probably no more than three times. Yet I've heard the same sentiments. The place is seriously unsafe. The walkways leading up are designed poorly. Obviously, cost was at the forefront of their minds. The width is narrow, meaning a bottleneck and immovable squeeze would occur. Even if a constant flow somehow eventuated, it'd take a solid four minutes to run from the top, to the bottom.

Luigi742

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I totally agree. I've only sat in the highest part of the three tier stand on only a few occasions. Probably no more than three times. Yet I've heard the same sentiments. The place is seriously unsafe. The walkways leading up are designed poorly. Obviously, cost was at the forefront of their minds. The width is narrow, meaning a bottleneck and immovable squeeze would occur. Even if a constant flow somehow eventuated, it'd take a solid four minutes to run from the top, to the bottom.

They can clear the MCG or Stadium Australia in about 10-15 minutes. If it takes 4 minutes to cover 1 block, imagine if there's a fire? People would almost certainly get trampled.

tb_fanboy

Cancelled
NFL Prediction Comp Participant
Mar 1, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Denver, UO, NY
When I went in 2010 the thing i least liked is how close the seats are together and you're completely squished, everyone beside you going to the stairs etc. is forced to stand if you want to go to the toilet.

What I do like is it's placing, I like how you can see over to Perth cbd, instead of just seats everywhere like the mcg. Btw best memory 160-85 win over Eagles:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LadyPants

Cancelled
Jun 14, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
I wish they had some more ATMs inside the stadium, line up for 20 minutes only to find that it freezes...

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

I don't think it was built at minimum cost, it's just that it's a 43 year old stand and building codes and the like were very different back then to what they are now.

Stadium infrastructure generally lasts about 30 years before it becomes outdated, sometimes less. The 2 tier stand is a complete piece of s**t (albeit not as bad as the 3 tier stand) and it's 31 years old this year.

Luigi742

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
An absolute s**t hole of a stadium with absolutely no redeeming qualities.

That it and the similarly s**t WACA are still around in 2012 is just vintage WA.

don't forget the burswood dome as well, that's also s**t. This has come from years of the state government kidding themselves into thinking the facilities are ok. The WACA and Subi look like something out of the 70s

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
An absolute s**t hole of a stadium with absolutely no redeeming qualities.

That it and the similarly s**t WACA are still around in 2012 is just vintage WA.
I absolutely agree with you. I don't have any blind love for my state, I just absolutely agree.

The sports stadiums in this state epitomise our archaic, conservative, outdated view toward absolutely everything. When Hobart has a cricket ground being updated, and your city doesn't, there is something seriously wrong.

Though I do enjoy Subiaco and the game day 'ritual', if you will. The suburb is nice and the train journey makes me fall in love every time. But the latter happens on every train journey from the footy.

Personally, I look forward to moving to Fitzroy next year and indulging in great grounds every single week – from the 'G, to Etihad, to AAMI in the summer.

Perth doesn't need three grounds, obviously. But it needs at least one.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Are the Subi, WACA and nib stadiums seats all made by the same manufacturer? They are all the same greenish colour, feel similar and have all faded the same.

Luigi742

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Are the Subi, WACA and nib stadiums seats all made by the same manufacturer? They are all the same greenish colour, feel similar and have all faded the same.

Maybe this manufacturer also makes the the thousands of "temporary" seats at nib.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
See the WAFC has accelerated the write off the assets at Subi

"The question of the value of the stadium has been on our mind with the possibility of the new stadium coming up. While we don't have to do it yet because no contracts have been signed it is sensible to amortise the remaining value over the next few years until 2017.

"It is a non-cash item because (Patersons) Stadium has been paid for."
Cooper said an extra $4 million was allocated to stadium depreciation as part of the strategy, blowing facility expenses out from $7 million to more than $11 million ...
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/13077180/stadium-putrs-wafc-books-in-the-red/

Is it Bill Lawry who says 'its all happening' !!

Have the Bombers accelerated write offs at Windy Hill?

Luigi742

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
i think the best use for subiaco oval when the new stadium is built is to demolish it and turn the land into a training base for the eagles.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, I see the most viable option being housing. Plenty of old stadiums become housing. It's certainly got potential: Perth's population is increasing, house prices haven't dropped here as much as in other countries, and Subiaco's a very popular (and relatively expensive) area.

Can Kitchiner be redeveloped into housing as well?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back