Patersons Stadium (Subiaco Oval) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes but they don't control the football clubs as she seems to think.

She mouths off about Eagles & Dockers not going to new stadium

she'd be best to keep her mouth closed so she doesn't look any sillier

Mate she is a Councillor ... most of them are silly & what they say even sillier.

This is not a Perth is better than Melbourne post. I love Melbourne. We are flying out on Good Friday for the Long Weekend and going to see Fremantle v Bulldogs, Melbourne Victory v WSW and Hawthorn v Geelong. I go to Melbourne most years since I first visited over 20 years ago. The purpose is to show that generally when people say there is nothing to do, they are either lazy, boring, small minded or a combination of all.

Life is too good to not just get out and enjoy it.

Agree 100%, its so easy to complain about a place having 'nothing to do' if you never bother to do a little research or get out and about.

Is it just me or does the ground surface look in a lot better condition than normal? Normally theres bits of scraggy grass near the advertising boards/fence but the ground looks really nice this season. Mown differently?

I very much doubt Subiaco council will pursue a redevelopment of the site. Simply because the MRA would control the planning. The Subiaco Council pursued legal action over the addition of a single level of residential that they didn't approve of, this was for a few lots on the Australian Fine China site. Complete muppets.

In saying that id love to see the ground stripped back to something small and elegent in nature, some land sold around the outside of it. Perhaps with some views over the ground.

Let Subiaco back in to play WAFL and the Subi and the Eagles enjoy new club facilities.

Sink the rail between Haydn Button drive and Loftus Street and redevelop all the land back towards Subiaco Rd.

This could be a major redevelopment area in the coming years. With princess margaret closing, thomas road might be sunk, expanded or both. This would create a massive inner city redevelopment zone and yes the state will take control rather than leave it to subi council.

subi council has killed a once vibrant area and should not be entrusted with a project bigger than what days bins go out.

Will take a big change in mindset to change the way they've been going. Saturday mornings with the Farmers Market are fantastic and the cafes in the afternoon have a good vibe, but once night falls the Rockeby Rd strip is really disappointing. I know different demographics and all, but the city, Mt Lawley, East Vic Park, Freo etc. leave it for dead in terms of atmosphere in the evening. Not talking nightclubs so much, just the vibe of walking around with full restaurants and bars everywhere you look is something that you just don't get in Subi.

Perth isn't a massive city. Even in Melbourne you really only have about five suburbs outside of the CBD that really have with bars and restaurants and 'culture' on a Thursday/Friday/Saturday. Subiaco council should have seen this coming just as we all did. It's their fault for not capitalising even more on the footy being held there every weekend.

Subsequently, just because they're relatively inner city and held the biggest stadium in the state until a few years time, why do they have a divine right to thrive? Plenty of suburbs get by without being magnets for weekend piss and pita tourism. There's no absolute need for Subi to heave. It's not like Perth will be at a huge loss if Subiaco is a quasi-popular place. I mean seriously, how popular is Claremont outside of western suburbs flogs and students on a Thursday night for the Claremont/Clubba double?

Will take a big change in mindset to change the way they've been going. Saturday mornings with the Farmers Market are fantastic and the cafes in the afternoon have a good vibe, but once night falls the Rockeby Rd strip is really disappointing. I know different demographics and all, but the city, Mt Lawley, East Vic Park, Freo etc. leave it for dead in terms of atmosphere in the evening. Not talking nightclubs so much, just the vibe of walking around with full restaurants and bars everywhere you look is something that you just don't get in Subi.

Is that THE measure or just your measure?

A vibrant daytime, quiet night has family written all over it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that THE measure or just your measure?

A vibrant daytime, quiet night has family written all over it?

As I said, Subi does the Saturday market thing brilliantly but other than that don't see a lot of evidence that it is great for families. I don't have a lot of perspective regarding commercial property but apparently rent for businesses is enormous in comparison to other areas which you can evidently see in the lack of variety heading down Rokeby. The parks around are nice, but other than Saturday mornings and when school finishes you don't really see kids around out and playing.

Can't see how losing the football is anything but a bad thing for Subi unless they have a complete change in mindset. Maybe it's time to get that chip on your shoulder looked at?

As I said, Subi does the Saturday market thing brilliantly but other than that don't see a lot of evidence that it is great for families. I don't have a lot of perspective regarding commercial property but apparently rent for businesses is enormous in comparison to other areas which you can evidently see in the lack of variety heading down Rokeby. The parks around are nice, but other than Saturday mornings and when school finishes you don't really see kids around out and playing.

Can't see how losing the football is anything but a bad thing for Subi unless they have a complete change in mindset. Maybe it's time to get that chip on your shoulder looked at?

The markets at the school are great but the street version was a bit of a lemon but at least they tried.

Some shop keepers complain about the footy as the spectators go straight to the footy, clog up parking, block the streets and then leave meaning no benefit for the shops. Ordinary shoppers avoid the place as well as they don't want to be caught up with the masses. Mind you these are the same types of people that would complain about the footy lights being too bright.

Its probably mentioned but whats the plan with domain stadium now?

What happened to the vibe of walking around with full restaurants and bars everywhere ..... yeh its not a narrow minded view ..

Tonight walking through Vic Park there are restaurants and pubs full to the brim with people of all ages.

What exactly are you trying to argue?

Thought I'd drop the boots into this craphole one more time - can't wait for it to be demolished and we move to the promised land.

I've been to this place about 100 times and sat in most areas of the ground. For 3 games over the last 6 months I've sat in 3 different areas of the ground - bays 109, 321 & 338. One was terrible, one crap and the other ok. For the uninitiated here's a summary of each location:

Bay 109 (the 2 tier stand on the railway side) has wooden bench seats. The facilities in the area are pretty terrible here with hardly any toilets, food and drink services.

Bay 321 (this is oldest section of the new stand) this stand was built in the early to mid 90's and is pretty crap really. There is no ramp to get to the top deck, just bloody stairs (which is a nightmare to navigate with a snapped Achilles..) the food and beverage facilities are pretty small and queues are massive. Basically there are stairs everywhere here!!! Sat here for a Wallabies game and waited for nearly half the game in the beer queue out the back...

Bay 338 (this is the newest section of the new stands) this stand was built in the late 90's and is ok. There are ramps (yeah!) to get to the top level as well as stairs, plenty of toilets, food and beverage facilities. This is the only end of the ground I like to sit.

There is also the old 3 tier stand which I flatly refuse to even go near. Everything in this stand is delapated and a fire hazard. This was Built in the early 60's and has not aged well. The bench seats were replaced with plastic ones and now there is no leg room at all, I'm only 6'0 and my legs were crushed seating their for a game.

Would be interesting to see who gets the last ever home-and-away match. West Coast will definitely get it, IMO. Can't believe that after tonight's game, it's less then 365 days before the last game of AFL is played at the ground.

Would be interesting to see who gets the last ever home-and-away match. West Coast will definitely get it, IMO. Can't believe that after tonight's game, it's less then 365 days before the last game of AFL is played at the ground.

I thought AFL was at burswood next year. is it another year away?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back