Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
It's a strange part of our game.

Remember when they used to announce the umpires as they entered? "Would you please welcome umpires Goldspink, Vernon and McInerney."

Crowd: Booooooooooo!

They hadn't even done anything yet. But it's part of the fabric of the game. Umpires are the universal enemy. You paid your money so feel that you can yell what you like. Venting at the umpire is as natural as cheering your team.

Compare it to rugby union or cricket. "Would you please welcome umpires Shephard and Bucknor to the Adelaide Oval."

Crowd: <polite, warm applause>

Why is it different? Who knows but it has evolved differently.

Trouble is that the crowd behaviour extends to lower levels. Spectators, coaches, parents yell at umpires (even kids who are learning the caper) in the same way they would from the outer. Even happens at junior games on a Sunday morning.

Ingrained culture.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Mathew Nichols trying to have his own Adam Goodes moment shows the mentality of today's umpires.

I have a view that may be seen as old school, but umpires are there to assist the players play the game. They aren't celebrities or personalities, they are no more important than goal posts in the grand scheme of things. That's no a personal insult, it's merely an observation that, like goal posts, they are there to help the game be played. They should be seen, not heard.

Reacting to such an innocuous jibe shows a lack of resilience on the part of the umpire. It also shows a lack of concentration. No workplace is free from abuse, scrutiny and judgement of performance. Umpires ply their trade in public, and are thus open to public and immediate scrutiny. It's part of the job. If they can't cop that level of immediate feedback from a supporter, a player or a coach, they are in the wrong job.

This sort of thing makes it very clear to me that there are umpires who are quite sensitive to this sort of stuff and makes it far more believable that their decision making is impacted by crowd noise, game scenarios and other personal bias. This particular umpire has been shown, more than once, to be bias in certain scenarios. He shouldn't be umpiring, because he clearly cannot concentrate well enough to do his job, which is to objectively and impartially apply the rules.

There are times when people over step the mark when it comes to their "feedback", and those instances should be dealt with. But if "bald flog" falls outside of acceptable boundaries, then we all may as well accept that nothing more than polite clapping and stony silence will be allowed in a few years time.

We talk about "atmosphere" at games. Give it 5 years, there won't be any. But at least the umpires will feel important.

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
Jesus, it's an emotive game, give people some room to breath, honestly.

I'm not one to hurl abuse at people at the footy myself but I understand people having a crack in the face of visibly poor umpiring. It isn't like he discriminated against it vilified the guy... there needs to be some leniency when it comes to sport.
Why? Yes sport is emotive but not being able to control your emotions is an issue. Add alcohol and you have a recipe for doing or saying something stupid. Iam just not sure we should be justifying people’s inability to maintain control just be cause of sport

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Why? Yes sport is emotive but not being able to control your emotions is an issue. Add alcohol and you have a recipe for doing or saying something stupid. Iam just not sure we should be justifying people’s inability to maintain control just be cause of sport
Come on, you mean to say you've never lost control in any environment, ever? Are you Jesus?

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
Come on, you mean to say you've never lost control in any environment, ever? Are you Jesus?
I remember I once cracked the shits at my son after a Crows loss because it affected my mood.and had to look at myself and decided that would never happen again and it didn’t. Yeah I can still be frustrated by what I see at timesbut you don’t have to be Jesus to be in control. I have seen people who become too emotionally invested; get really angry and the like. It is just not cool.

Orange

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mathew Nichols trying to have his own Adam Goodes moment shows the mentality of today's umpires.

I have a view that may be seen as old school, but umpires are there to assist the players play the game. They aren't celebrities or personalities, they are no more important than goal posts in the grand scheme of things. That's no a personal insult, it's merely an observation that, like goal posts, they are there to help the game be played. They should be seen, not heard.

Reacting to such an innocuous jibe shows a lack of resilience on the part of the umpire. It also shows a lack of concentration. No workplace is free from abuse, scrutiny and judgement of performance. Umpires ply their trade in public, and are thus open to public and immediate scrutiny. It's part of the job. If they can't cop that level of immediate feedback from a supporter, a player or a coach, they are in the wrong job.

This sort of thing makes it very clear to me that there are umpires who are quite sensitive to this sort of stuff and makes it far more believable that their decision making is impacted by crowd noise, game scenarios and other personal bias. This particular umpire has been shown, more than once, to be bias in certain scenarios. He shouldn't be umpiring, because he clearly cannot concentrate well enough to do his job, which is to objectively and impartially apply the rules.

There are times when people over step the mark when it comes to their "feedback", and those instances should be dealt with. But if "bald flog" falls outside of acceptable boundaries, then we all may as well accept that nothing more than polite clapping and stony silence will be allowed in a few years time.

We talk about "atmosphere" at games. Give it 5 years, there won't be any. But at least the umpires will feel important.

The number one reason people dont umpire is because of the abuse and disrespect they cop. Costs the football community millions of dollars to attract people to umpire because of it. It also drives down the standard if umpiring. It actually doesnt matter what you think, because youre not out there every week doing the job. You can either change the attitude and attract more people to umpiring or sit there and write whatever ridiculous bullshit comes into your head. But you cant do both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
The number one reason people dont umpire is because of the abuse and disrespect they cop. Costs the football community millions of dollars to attract people to umpire because of it. It also drives down the standard if umpiring. It actually doesnt matter what you think, because youre not out there every week doing the job. You can either change the attitude and attract more people to umpiring or sit there and write whatever ridiculous ******** comes into your head. But you cant do both.
Since they've started putting numbers on umpire's backs, miked them up out in the middle and made their names more prominent has it become harder or easier for the football community to attract umpires?

Orange

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Since they've started putting numbers on umpire's backs, miked them up out in the middle and made their names more prominent has it become harder or easier for the football community to attract umpires?

No difference i’d say. Theres a lot more young people being attracted to umpiring these days. AFL is making a concerted effort in that regard. Retaining them is the challenge. Attracting former players (not to mention armchair experts 😀) is still difficult.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The number one reason people dont umpire is because of the abuse and disrespect they cop. Costs the football community millions of dollars to attract people to umpire because of it. It also drives down the standard if umpiring. It actually doesnt matter what you think, because youre not out there every week doing the job. You can either change the attitude and attract more people to umpiring or sit there and write whatever ridiculous ******** comes into your head. But you cant do both.
I think what drives down the standard of umpiring is a combination of the ridiculous rules and interpretations imposed on them, and the facilitating attitude of their bosses. Maybe if the AFL spent more time making the rules clear and consistent, rather than throwing people out for the most benign rhetoric, we'd have a group of resilient adults able to umpire a game in ways that are less easy to be critical.

Why did Mathew Nichols need to stop and point at a spectator for that comment? Was his poor little feelings hurt? Come on, he's an adult. He should be able to laugh that sort of crap off. He should be focussed on his job to the extent crowd noise is just a blurb of incoherent rabble. No, he had one ear on the crowd, because his boss told him to.

The first person who is critical of my work tomorrow is going to get thrown out of my office and told that only positive reinforcement is allowed. You can't get angry or frustrated, because feelings. Is that how it works?

subaru

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
But he is a bald headed flog. What a snowflake of an umpire. Get down to advanced hair snowflake.

Would “bald snowflake “ be ok ?
And I’m being serious .....

subaru

Cancelled
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide

Pay me enough and you can call me whatever you like !

Sticks and stones

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
The problem is this kind of directive by the AFL can have the opposite affect.

All for banning parents and spectators at lower levels for.abusing umpires, does it really happen much any more? But to go so heavy handed at the professional level makes them look precious and is somewhat counterintuitive in aggravating people further.

Best way to fix umpire abuse is to stop the reason to abuse them and sort out some of the ridiculous interpretations these guys must adhere to.

Maybe the AFL could put more effort into rules interpretation ahead of crowd interpretation?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Excellent article in the Hun on this...

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...9/news-story/fcf228909fcfae53317fbe98a34dff05

Politically-correct insults suitable for an AFL umpire in 2019

If you’re the sort of person to get up and yell at the footy umpire without even a trigger warning, this is for you.
Here are 20 woke, anti-maggophobic comments you are politically permitted to make at the footy.

1. If you require the use of a trained canine as visual aide, you have my full support.

2. Your whistle is presently in no danger of being overused.

3. I have had respectful, consensual relations with a member of your immediate family.

4. I believe your talents might best be applied in a different field of work.

5. Although I do not presume your gender, I observe your follicles are sparse.

6. It is wonderful to see tolerance of all levels of intellect in umpire hiring policy.

7. While sleep is important for mental health, you should reconsider doing it during play.

8. Age is clearly no indication of ability because my grandparent could make a boundary throw like that.

9. Congratulations on embracing a fluid definition of 15m.

10. It is human to make mistakes and you are really, really human.

11. Your outward appearance doesn’t reflect who you are inside. If you are an opposition player on the inside, please let us know.

12. How brave of you to identify as a goal umpire.

13. Your success in your chosen field, despite your obvious lack of education, is truly inspirational.

14. While your patronage of the safe injecting room is encouraged, it is not advisable to visit immediately prior to a match.

15. It is great to see you shunning outdated body image expectations around weight.

16. How shameful for the AFL not to provide you with a rule book in Braille.

17. I trust your decision not to call ‘holding the man’ is a silent protest against the patriarchy.

18. Proposed laws legalising marijuana will undoubtedly help me understand your decisions.

19. Thank you for promoting me to challenge my prejudices about what is and isn’t a handball.

20. As a fan of inclusiveness, I welcome your application of netball rules to this match.

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...9/news-story/fcf228909fcfae53317fbe98a34dff05

If you’re the sort of person to get up and yell at the footy umpire without even a trigger warning, this is for you.
Here are 20 woke, anti-maggophobic comments you are politically permitted to make at the footy.

1. If you require the use of a trained canine as visual aide, you have my full support.

3. I have had respectful, consensual relations with a member of your immediate family.

6. It is wonderful to see tolerance of all levels of intellect in umpire hiring policy.

7. While sleep is important for mental health, you should reconsider doing it during play.

8. Age is clearly no indication of ability because my grandparent could make a boundary throw like that.

11. Your outward appearance doesn’t reflect who you are inside. If you are an opposition player on the inside, please let us know.

13. Your success in your chosen field, despite your obvious lack of education, is truly inspirational.

14. While your patronage of the safe injecting room is encouraged, it is not advisable to visit immediately prior to a match.

15. It is great to see you shunning outdated body image expectations around weight.

17. I trust your decision not to call ‘holding the man’ is a silent protest against the patriarchy.

18. Proposed laws legalising marijuana will undoubtedly help me understand your decisions.

19. Thank you for promoting me to challenge my prejudices about what is and isn’t a handball.

20. As a fan of inclusiveness, I welcome your application of netball rules to this match.

21. Learn how to umpire you clam-smelling shitbag

Tobster

Senior List
Aug 3, 2005
In the Grass
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Crows

I just yell out that they’re a bunch of complete amateurs, which technically they still are and the only part of our professional game that remains so. Pitiful really.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

subaru

Cancelled
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide

I like no 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back