Roast Pathetic-Game over

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe im taking the bald bit too personally

But umpires have a bloody tough job we shouldn't be giving them the respect they deserve so people actually want to keep doing it.
I blame the AFL. Make them full time professionals and give them an opportunity to all learn the same interpretation so that at least then, if they make a mistake, they do it for both sides. If you pay them a decent income, and provide them with decent training, you’ll attract people to the job.

It's a strange part of our game.

Remember when they used to announce the umpires as they entered? "Would you please welcome umpires Goldspink, Vernon and McInerney."

Crowd: Booooooooooo!

They hadn't even done anything yet. But it's part of the fabric of the game. Umpires are the universal enemy. You paid your money so feel that you can yell what you like. Venting at the umpire is as natural as cheering your team.

Compare it to rugby union or cricket. "Would you please welcome umpires Shephard and Bucknor to the Adelaide Oval."

Crowd: <polite, warm applause>

Why is it different? Who knows but it has evolved differently.

Trouble is that the crowd behaviour extends to lower levels. Spectators, coaches, parents yell at umpires (even kids who are learning the caper) in the same way they would from the outer. Even happens at junior games on a Sunday morning.

Ingrained culture.
They’ve been stamping this aspect out (umpire abuse at the juniors) for some years now, and so they bloody should. We have a sign up around ALL junior clubs up here about respecting umpires and reminding parents that it’s just a game. Before this was brought in, I saw some horrendous behaviour from parents. This is not to say I haven’t been livid by poor umpiring displays over my sons playing years... I remember an instance where the umpiring was so appalling, we were contemplating pulling the team and going home. It was the only time I contemplated saying something untoward. But at the end of the game, when we were ready to vent our spleens, our son walked over to the umpire and .... shook his hand. We’d taught him to do that, to always show respect. These lads were in tears because of that little bastard, but they rose above it. Taught us a lesson.

Last edited:
Do we even really need umpires? Surely technology is there already with automated systems that are just as consistent yet arent so easily offended as their human competition?

I might be in the minority, but I actually like Razor Ray far more now I’ve heard him in the media speaking rather than just what we originally heard on the umpire mics. He actually seems like a decent funny guy.
He has a weekly spot on SEN where he talks about his decisions on the weekend and will actually say if he ballsed it up.

I blame the AFL. Make them full time professionals and give them an opportunity to all learn the same interpretation so that at least then, if they make a mistake, they do it for both sides. If you pay them a decent income, and provide them with decent training, you’ll attract people to the job.
100% agree. The umpires should be complaining about their employer, not about their "clients".

When you think about it, it's a nice deflection by the AFL isn't it? "We're not to blame, it's everyone else's fault"

Fix the damn rules you bunch of flogs

Since they've started putting numbers on umpire's backs, miked them up out in the middle and made their names more prominent has it become harder or easier for the football community to attract umpires?

There's probably 3 umpires I could identify in a lineup.

I take no notice of the 'personalities' the umpires are being made out to be. I'll yell indiscriminately to which umpire made the wrong decision at the time, doesn't matter who they are - and I don't particularly care.

But I'll also acknowledge a correct decision, even when my fellow fans may not agree.

But I'll also acknowledge a correct decision, even when my fellow fans may not agree
Heh, me too. I've been known to mutter "oh, you're gone" just before one of our players gets done HTB, and it's pretty hard to go off at the umpire when it's paid :)

I've been mulling this one over - if a spectator directed abuse straight at an umpire, face to face as it were, then yeah, I'm sorry, but ejection is not unreasonable. I think that's over the line from just yelling / booing from the stands. At the same time, I think the umpire in question doesn't need to go all point them out, either. Even Mrs Arrowman, who is not a fan of bad behaviour :) thought that when I told her about it.

I've been known to yell at the umpires from the stands - "peanut!", "cheat!", "how much are they paying you?" but I wouldn't do it to their face. Some would say that's gutless, I would say it's being able to draw the line between crowd behaviour and actual up front personal abuse.

So I'm not all that upset that someone got ejected for face to face abuse (not sure how up close and personal it was, though), however I hope the day doesn't come that we have hi viz jackets patrolling the crowd ready to descend on the "peanut!" shouter, or a 1-800 DOB IN AN UMPIRE ABUSER hotline.

I might be in the minority, but I actually like Razor Ray far more now I’ve heard him in the media speaking rather than just what we originally heard on the umpire mics. He actually seems like a decent funny guy.
He has a weekly spot on SEN where he talks about his decisions on the weekend and will actually say if he ballsed it up.
Yes. You are in the minority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus, it's an emotive game, give people some room to breath, honestly.

I'm not one to hurl abuse at people at the footy myself but I understand people having a crack in the face of visibly poor umpiring. It isn't like he discriminated against it vilified the guy... there needs to be some leniency when it comes to sport.

Yeah like the leniency they gave Folau.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're fear-deficient, strength-sufficient and un-horizontal speed-challenged and insta-liked by our followers who unfriended us and throw us shade.

Reciprocated human virtues by the sovereign state, our determination shows. We're the pride of lower Terra Australis, we're the un-non-imposing Adelaide Crows

Hopefully less with a look at me attitude & more that just want to facilitate our great game unnoticed.

Sounds like the security was over the top at Marvel last night too.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/l...s/news-story/8d44e87d49f801842a5608cfd1f60b25

Just look at the "fans spied on" in that piece.
The good news is, it will kill the AFL as we know it and we can get a true national league.
Quote from Gill in that piece:
"People who have called the police and called because the supporters around them are calling someone down there. That’s how it’s happening."

And to be fair, he may have a point. I reckon there will be people in the crowd who are over-sensitive and these days more willing to call security (because they keep getting told to do that), and now they're calling not because someone is being an obnoxious foul-mouthed ****head, but just because they're too loud, or standing up to cheer a goal, or generally spoiling their nice quiet night out at the footy.

I've certainly been told to "sit down in front" a few times just because I got to my feet after a goal.

Spend enough time telling people they should "report anti-social behaviour" because family atmosphere, and eventually the boundaries of what constitutes reportable behaviour start to shift.

Quote from Gill in that piece:
"People who have called the police and called because the supporters around them are calling someone down there. That’s how it’s happening."

And to be fair, he may have a point. I reckon there will be people in the crowd who are over-sensitive and these days more willing to call security (because they keep getting told to do that), and now they're calling not because someone is being an obnoxious foul-mouthed ****head, but just because they're too loud, or standing up to cheer a goal, or generally spoiling their nice quiet night out at the footy.

I've certainly been told to "sit down in front" a few times just because I got to my feet after a goal.

Spend enough time telling people they should "report anti-social behaviour" because family atmosphere, and eventually the boundaries of what constitutes reportable behaviour start to shift.

So are you telling me it is the soft utensils in the world who want everyone to get a medal for competing.

Perhaps we need to have zones at the footy for all those who don’t want to have barrackers around them.

Some people need to grow a pair.

FMD, this country has lost it.

I don't mind people being thrown out for abusing umpires.

Why do we need to abuse them in the first place? It's a tough sport to officiate and we hardly have perfect players.

I abuse the umpire, other players, our players, the people sitting near by.
It’s why I go there.
But seriously, bald headed flog is what I’d call my mates, as a term of endearment.
This is dare I say it, “un Australian” .

So are you telling me it is the soft utensils in the world who want everyone to get a medal for competing.

Perhaps we need to have zones at the footy for all those who don’t want to have barrackers around them.

Some people need to grow a pair.

FMD, this country has lost it.
What a load.

I don't want medals for competing, but i simply do not understand how people are endorsing verbal abuse of others as an Australian past time?

So its ok if we boo and Aboriginal players because allegedly aren't nice blokes (even though the booing was racism at it heart, we justify it by saying we don't like the guy we've never met ) and verbally abuse people for doing their jobs.

Yep, seems the footy is getting to be an awesome place to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back