Autopsy Pathetic - HFC v CFC, Rd 16, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

It was heartening to see just how good IQ is; he seized his opportunity. The usual narrative with first gamers is that we need patience; IQ can't be dropped after that game. I wish we had 2 more of him. :) Aish can walk tall.

We played much better last year and were able to account for our injuries. I'd like to see the club's leadership respond to this situation with some daring. Rewarding the same underperforming group with selection, persevering with the same game-plan, and expecting a different result is just like banging your head against the wall.

Langdon, Adams, & Stephenson are the 3 that are mostly missed IMO.

Howe says hi

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it also spin to say injuries have no impact - after today, Rich say hi

Of course they impact on your ability to perform to the teams best but it shouldn't impact on a teams hunger, physicality, aggressiveness given context of previous weeks, running to support, running to break lines make options or defend.

People aren't up in arms because we lost but the manner in which we are playing soft, uncohesive, low skilled, panicky, lacking run and dare stagnant crap.

Good fwd pressure? Oh come on. It was largely based on woeful decision making by hfc players.

Once they smartened up and stopped making woeful decisions in defence, how many goals we kick? And how many more goals from this “pressure” u speak of? And how was this “pressure” you speak of in the last 14 mins when we leaked 34 points??

And none of Hawthorn's goals came through similar "mistakes" it was only Collingwood who benefited from "gifts".

And the extra scoring shots you mentioned in your earlier post occurred in the 1st half and given we led at half time it's pretty irrelevant.

On the surface, yes. The quotes about the lack of forward 50 entries could be classified this way.

However, I did find it interesting that he spoke about the backline’s form in healthy terms and that, “It’s pretty handy when you’ve got guys like Jamie Elliott and Jordy De Goey and Will Hoskin-Elliott in front of the ball who can do what they do. It’s a luxury we’ve got”. In other words, the backline and the forward line are doing their bit and are more than capable from Darcy's standpoint.

There’s a whole section of the team that failed to be named in his analysis. In fact, one could see it as a thinly veiled swipe. I’m not sure if this is the kind of press the club would be all that happy with.

Now it is possible that he did say something positive about the mids and the journalist didn’t print it, so you could offer him the benefit of the doubt. Or you could run with the idea that one our players just called out an entire section of the team. Interesting times.

Last edited:
Agreed. We weren’t outstanding obviously, but we weren’t ‘pathetic’.

Last week Bucks publicly called out our players as "soft". one of the most damning things a coach can say about his player group... Every time you see this you see the team come out next week breathing fire. For us, it was more of the same, pathetic and damning response. Our midfield was smashed all day by a bottom 4 team, enough said.

I love this football club so much, seriously some of you may have no idea how much Collingwood impacts my life, I have stuck up for Bucks and the players for so long and will continue to do so, but I have to say it how I saw it and that was pathetic.

For me, it is a worse result than the north game because we were supposed to show a response, we were supposed to come out breathing fire, we did not do that. Who cares if we won contested ball count, Hawthorn are known for their game style of pin point kicking rather than crash and bash. There was no run again, no one taking the game on again, silly decision making again, simple skill errors again.

We are way to soft, it has nothing to do with lack of respect or anything for my thread title, it has to do with not accepting mediocrity, we had everything to fight for last night, we knew if we lost that top 2 would be all but gone, we knew of our tough schedule coming up and what I saw was a Hawthorn team that was able to outwork us, out smart us and just over run us. I'm sorry but I just cant accept that, for a team that is sitting 2nd v a team that is 15th it isnt good enough.

I love this club the same as I have for my whole life and will no matter what happens, it doesn't mean I have to accept performances like that and sugar coat what I and a lot of people externally and possibly internally thought.

Howe says hi

My initial considerations were to include Howe among the 3 as he is a very important player for us.

If I could only have 3 back for this year I'd take a fully fit Langdon over Howe, and I understand that this puts me in a very small minority. I base that on how Langdon was playing before his injury and his contribution in the finals in 2018, as well as Howe's form in 2019.

I love this football club so much, seriously some of you may have no idea how much Collingwood impacts my life, I have stuck up for Bucks and the players for so long and will continue to do so, but I have to say it how I saw it and that was pathetic.

For me, it is a worse result than the north game because we were supposed to show a response, we were supposed to come out breathing fire, we did not do that. Who cares if we won contested ball count, Hawthorn are known for their game style of pin point kicking rather than crash and bash. There was no run again, no one taking the game on again, silly decision making again, simple skill errors again.

We are way to soft, it has nothing to do with lack of respect or anything for my thread title, it has to do with not accepting mediocrity, we had everything to fight for last night, we knew if we lost that top 2 would be all but gone, we knew of our tough schedule coming up and what I saw was a Hawthorn team that was able to outwork us, out smart us and just over run us. I'm sorry but I just cant accept that, for a team that is sitting 2nd v a team that is 15th it isnt good enough.

I love this club the same as I have for my whole life and will no matter what happens, it doesn't mean I have to accept performances like that and sugar coat what I and a lot of people externally and possibly internally thought.
Call it as you see it. 'Pathetic' is fine by me. Who cares if the whole team sees it! The players are hardly going to be mentally crushed by an 8 letter word. I am so sick of the political correctness and the concern for player welfare that seemingly dissuades honest use of language.

Last edited:
My initial considerations were to include Howe among the 3 as he is a very important player for us.

If I could only have 3 back for this year I'd take a fully fit Langdon over Howe, and I understand that this puts me in a very small minority. I base that on how Langdon was playing before his injury and his contribution in the finals in 2018, as well as Howe's form in 2019.
I will join you in that very small minority. I'd prefer Langdon.

On the surface, yes. The quotes about the lack of forward 50 entries could be classified this way.

However, I did find it interesting that he spoke about the backline’s form in healthy terms and that, “It’s pretty handy when you’ve got guys like Jamie Elliott and Jordy De Goey and Will Hoskin-Elliott in front of the ball who can do what they do. It’s a luxury we’ve got”. In other words, the backline and the forward line are doing their bit and are more than capable from Darcy's standpoint.

There’s a whole section of the team that failed to be named in his analysis. In fact, one could see it as a thinly veiled swipe. I’m not sure if this is the kind of press the club would be all that happy with.

Now it is possible that he did say something positive about the mids and the journalist didn’t print it, so you could offer him the benefit of the doubt. Or you could run with the idea that one our players just called out an entire section of the team. Interesting times.

I read the whole article online and he didn't say anything about the mids but was positive about our team overall. More interested in how he singled out the star forwards and didn't mention Cox as if knowing he would do stuff all. Perhaps he is a bit miffed that he was sort of written off as a forward when competing as a skinny youngster in a crappy team. Can't remember him quite as limp-wristed as Cox in his efforts.

Howe's kicking as been a bit of a liability of late. Langdon is a general and cool customer. Was combining well with Moore et al. Would definitely go with having Stevo, Langers and Adams because with Shaz back we don't need two more talls down there now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And none of Hawthorn's goals came through similar "mistakes" it was only Collingwood who benefited from "gifts".

And the extra scoring shots you mentioned in your earlier post occurred in the 1st half and given we led at half time it's pretty irrelevant.
Well said but totally lost on old mate Trav unfortunately. He has been nowwhere to be found as we were wining but here he is doing backflips of delight and posting on any possible subject with his delight that we are losing.
God knows who he supports but we do know it aint Collingwood

Cool respect your opinion, I think we lack Howes leadership mostly down back he would free someone else further up to a wing maybe.

The injury excuse really gets on my nerves.
Yes, injuries can be the reason why you may lose games that you may have otherwise won.
Injuries however are no excuse for pea hearted efforts and a lack of intensity.

This is what I keep saying.

An injury to Taylor Adams shouldn't be affecting Tom Phillips ability to kick, stick a tackle, run or just ability to play football.

That would have to be one of the most putrid performances I've seen in 20 years.

The "response" to the North flogging was 5 inside 50s in the first quarter. 5!!

Hawthorn knew all they had to do was stick with us until the last quarter, and we'd do the rest for them. And we did. So predictable.

I'm sick of hearing about umpires & injuries. We are just very ordinary.

We had a good second half of last season, including some great football in September. But other than that, we have been a non entity since 2013. And it doesn't look like changing any time soon.

Meanwhile, we have played poorly for weeks including a game against the Bulldogs which we actually managed to win.

And now the Cats are really struggling to beat the Dogs.

It's a funny game.

I won't be giving up on this season till the fat lady is singing.

That said, next week is going to be a massive challenge, possibly beyond us in our current form.

I'll tip us against the Giants and the Tigers though

Meanwhile, we have played poorly for weeks including a game against the Bulldogs which we actually managed to win.

And now the Cats are really struggling to beat the Dogs.

It's a funny game.

I won't be giving up on this season till the fat lady is singing.

That said, next week is going to be a massive challenge, possibly beyond us in our current form.

I'll tip us against the Giants and the Tigers though

Doubt we beat Giants up there but IF we can get some Players back we might be chance vs Richmond

Your love of Collingwood is very real, but no greater then anybody else on here.

If you want to assess the performance as pathetic, I have no issue with that. I just don’t think it should be the thread title. For a start, thread titles should describe the purpose of the discussion. This does not do that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back