Autopsy Pathetic - HFC v CFC, Rd 16, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

We are playing poorly, at the moment. I believe our form will turn around.
Things can change true but only if we play with the team

Mihochek , Thomas must be omitted , either players opponent bog

Atu and quaynour must play every week
I'm trying noble too

I'm trying Appleby

Outs aish Thomas Mihochek philli
Ins atu sack Appleby Norman

We just can’t move/transition the ball at all. We just get locked in and bumble around like toddlers in a play ground.

You could see at the ground that the Hawks set a very defensive structure. They just waited for our errant kick forward and picked it off. We rarely tried to run our way through which is the only way to beat it, as we don’t have the foot skills to pick our way through.

We look absolutely without confidence.
Seems like we've been worked out, oppo defensive zone/press is destroying our play-on attacks through midfield that were so devastating early in the year, and as a result we are just floundering. Back to the drawing board coaches!

Sorry to intrude, but just thought I’d come & say how impressed I was by Quaynor. Looks like he can slot into your back 6 comfortably and not look back. I especially liked his willingness to back his pace- he wasn’t overawed by the increase in speed at this level.

I’ve been watching most of your games this year & last; it does seem you have adapted the chipping game that most teams have adopted, to control the ball. I don’t think that Collingwood are as suited to that game plan- not from a skills perspective, but more from the perspective that it allows defenders to work your talls under the ball and that brings the intercept markers into play. Sicily did that multiple times last night, for example. Teams just push numbers back and Cox isn’t in the form to pull out big contested marks like he was last year. Structurally, Reid is a big loss because of his ability to get involved on the lead or in the air.

I’m a fan of Cox, he’s done tremendously in such a short period of time, but I think his height is suited to a quick play, where he can at least halve a contest and bring your smaller players into the game, with lesser numbers around the ball.

Even minus Stephenson, you have the dangerous forwards to make defenders nervous. But it’s hard to expect them to compete in the air against big numbers.

Fully expecting a terrific clash on Friday- wish you all the best for the rest of the year.
I'll be relieved if we get within 6 goals. Not normally this defeatist but cupboard is pretty bare atm. when you see waht is available in VFL as already pointed out in this thread, that's when I realize how bad the injury situation is.
Mriacles do happen in footy, somehow the team could suddenly click in Perth and WC have an off day - keep an eye out for flocks of flying pigs over Perth stadium on friday nite.

Seems like we've been worked out, oppo defensive zone/press is destroying our play-on attacks through midfield that were so devastating early in the year, and as a result we are just floundering. Back to the drawing board coaches!

I think it's about balance. All teams like to maintain good defensive structures behind the footy, those that do it effectively really pressure the ball carrier. We've played a few sides recently who have done it well in their matches against us. To overcome that you need to work through it with either dare or skill. Our skill is letting us down and we aren't showing enough dare consistently enough through games. I think much of that comes down to confidence and personnel.

I'll be relieved if we get within 6 goals. Not normally this defeatist but cupboard is pretty bare atm. when you see waht is available in VFL as already pointed out in this thread, that's when I realize how bad the injury situation is.
Mriacles do happen in footy, somehow the team could suddenly click in Perth and WC have an off day - keep an eye out for flocks of flying pigs over Perth stadium on friday nite.
I suspect that WC start clear favourites, but I reckon it will be much closer than most people think.

This weeks a good week to throw caution to the wind. Freo tried to make the game as quick as possible. That’s the right move against us, but they failed by kicking it high and long where McGovern & Barrass just sat back and waited. You guys are much more skilled than freo and have genuine mid size threats we seem to struggle against.

This is the best week to get out of Melbourne for your mob. Add Adams back in this week and you guys are a different team away this week.

We had the same conversation last year, in which you could see no hope.
I believe our form will turn because this playing group has too much quality to drop away.

You may have me mistaken for someone else, I may have mentioned that injuries might get us and I could not see light. This year is different in any case because we're not playing to our strengths and it looks unlikely that it will turn around quickly - quickly is required otherwise we're looking at 5 losses in a row.

Don't make the double chance and kiss it goodbye, we don't the luxury of the lists like wc or gws.

In any case I'll gladly be corrected but surely even you the ever optimist can see the difficulty of getting out of this.

I don’t They’ve been cooked for a while now they have just been hanging in. Wait for some of the bigger teams we are about to play. West Coast will smack us.
Gosh, how you remind me of someone I know lol Cooked seems to be the word of the year. Ever the pessimistic.

I prefer to think glass half full. I believe they can turn it around. There is still time to do so.

Gosh, how you remind me of someone I know lol Cooked seems to be the word of the year. Ever the pessimistic.

I prefer to think glass half full. I believe they can turn it around. There is still time to do so.
You do need to bear in mind that it is the infamous THATSGOLD that you are talking to!! While he's nowhere near as mean-spirited as TTRRAAVVIISS, he's here for the same purpose. TG would have had a very tough last 12 months, and consequently has been spotted around here not that often! The fact that he has started posting regularly again does indicate that we must be struggling (e.g. he went from June 2 to June 30 without making a post)!! Coincidence? Probably not!! Posters like this one and our other resident trolls use the term "we" when they really should be saying "you mob"!

It would be very typical Collingwood to put in a big one this week when you consider the underdogs tag, away game, media and fan heat, GF opponent and top 4 challengers. Screams a match for big effort backs against the wall style turn around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies in the delay in getting this up - here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 22

Phillips 19 wing
Treloar 18
Pendlebury 16
de Goey 15
Mayne 12 wing
Sidebottom 12 (9w, 3i)
Sier 7
C.Brown 4
Daicos 3 wing
Thomas 3
WHE 1 wing

Rucks:
Grundy 22 (McEvoy 22)

Centre Clearances (per Champion Data/AFL.com.au

Sidebottom 2
Treloar 2
Pendlebury 2
Sier 1
Grundy 1
de Goey 1
Mayne 1

1st Half - 10

Phillips 9 wing
Mayne 9 wing
Treloar 8
de Goey 8
Pendlebury 7
Sier 6
Sidebottom 2 (1i, 1w)
Daicos 1 wing

Final Term - 9

Phillips 8 wing
Sidebottom 8 (7w, 1i)
Treloar 7
Pendlebury 7
de Goey 5
C.Brown 4
Thomas 3
Mayne 1 wing
Daicos 1 wing
WHE 1 wing

Notes:
- First analysed game in 4 seasons where both lead rucks have attended every bounce. This is the 2nd analysed game that Grundy has achieved this feat in - the other being Rd 16, 2018 against Essendon.
- Fewest starts for Sier in an analysed game without getting injured. He didn't receive a start in the last term.
- Most starts for Thomas in an analysed game this season. This was his most inside starts since Rd 16, 2018.
- Equal most starts for Callum Brown this season (with Rd 4)
- As mentioned on the coverage, for the first half whilst de Goey would attend bounces, he'd immediately swap with Sidebottom afterwards.

I suspect that WC start clear favourites, but I reckon it will be much closer than most people think.

This weeks a good week to throw caution to the wind. Freo tried to make the game as quick as possible. That’s the right move against us, but they failed by kicking it high and long where McGovern & Barrass just sat back and waited. You guys are much more skilled than freo and have genuine mid size threats we seem to struggle against.

This is the best week to get out of Melbourne for your mob. Add Adams back in this week and you guys are a different team away this week.
WEll youre doign a pretty good job of building up hope. All the more satisfying twisting the knife after youve' won by 9 goals!
But yeah I haven't given up hope, def Adams would be a huge addition although couldn't expect his peak output. I think it's all about cox this game, he needs to talke the next step and this seems like the right time if ever. Did in the prelim but just turned out to be a flash in the pan. He needs to develop jsut basic contested marking skills like dont' just wait there for the oppo to push you out of the way, push/manouver them out of the way - and he needs to get some gorilla, giraffes are for basketball. maybe should practice at home beating chest and bellowing loudly. But so far is most effective on teh lead and our service for last few weeks has been crap, so it's also about the midfield getting back some form and intensity.
Then again WHE needs to lift drastically, continual leads all game no matter if noone ever kicks it to him - but they had better kick it to him sometimes. No use Cox demanding double teaming if there's noone like WHE to take advantage of the shortage of defenders that creates.
That's a lot of stuff to change in one week and it probably pretty much all has to change for us to have a chance, so not holding my breath. But obviously footy is sometimes like that, everything suddenly clicks sometimes when you least expect it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back