Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

Left the ground, elbow contact to the head, Ah Chee subbed basically straight away with concussion.

Careless, high contact, high impact probably. Which is 2 weeks.

Looks like he left the ground and realised it was a mistake right away. Was it elbow?

If Cripps’ left arm is in a position you’d associate with bracing for a bump, I’d suggest either we have a different understanding of football, or you shoulda gone to spec savers.
And given he was bracing to bump Ah Chee on the right hand side, what position does his left arm need to be in to execute it? Doesn’t matter? Correct. It’s just there doing nothing.

Why does this matter? Are you not allowed to jump into the air to contest the ball once it has bounced or something?

It’s been covered extensively in this thread.

What was your thoughts on Cotchins bump on Shiel (from memory) in 2017?

It's not even close to a like-for-like. Cotchin didn't leave the ground and had a legitimate play on the ball for starters.

Shiel also didn't get knocked out. Glancing contact to the head which can be seen by the fact that Shiel's shoulder took most of the hit.

I'm not Cotchin fan either. It was a crude play on the ball by Cripps.

And given he was bracing to bump Ah Chee on the right hand side, what position does his left arm need to be in to execute it? Doesn’t matter? Correct. It’s just there doing nothing.
How many times have you seen someone bracing to bump, with their other arm flapping around doing nothing?

Nowhere near the ball and Ah Chee concussed. Will miss a game, question is whether it is two or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many times have you seen someone bracing to bump, with their other arm flapping around doing nothing?

What do you do with the uninvolved arm when bumping people?

I would argue it’s doing nothing but hardly flapping around. He’s flexed his elbow as he braced himself.

What’s more, is THIS your evidence that he was contesting the ball? That his left hand which was not involved in the bump, and was not outstretched for the ball as Ah Chee had done… was partly open prior to bumping him in the head?

giphy.gif

The thing that gets me is this suspension is so lineball yet it’s 2 weeks or 0.
You can’t have such a diverse suspension, it should be 1 or 0 and honestly this shows how bloody dumb our laws are in this game.

Yeah and murder in the first degree is like 25 years or acquitted. Should be a “five weeks without Netflix” option.

Seriously, he’s either responsible for a serious injury or he isn’t, so he either gets a solid penalty or he doesn’t. It’s not that confusing.

What was your thoughts on Cotchins bump on Shiel in 2017?

View attachment 1471006

It’s only a still image but I can say three things in Cotchin’s favour based on it;
1) Cotchin has made every possible attempt to get lower than Shiel
2) His arm is actually outstretched toward the ball, suggesting he may be contesting it
3) His hand is MUCH closer to the ball than Cripps ever got with any part of his body

I would argue it’s doing nothing but hardly flapping around. He’s flexed his elbow as he braced himself.

What’s more, is THIS your evidence that he was contesting the ball? That his left hand which was not involved in the bump, and was not outstretched for the ball as Ah Chee had done… was partly open prior to bumping him in the head?

giphy.gif
but there is no video evidence to support any claim he was contesting the ball. He didn’t reach for it. At all.
The image was in response to this.
I've only seen two angles - both of which are a little obscured.

However the reverse angle looks like he had his hands in a cupping position to collect the ball on his chest - which he is entitled to do.

And as this wise person has commented, it appears that his hand was in a position to collect the ball on his chest.

It’s only a still image but I can say three things in Cotchin’s favour based on it;
1) Cotchin has made every possible attempt to get lower than Shiel
2) His arm is actually outstretched toward the ball, suggesting he may be contesting it
3) His hand is MUCH closer to the ball than Cripps ever got with any part of his body
1. Shiel had the ball in his hands before collision was made.

2. Cotchins’ left arm was outstretched, however, his right arm was tucked in to brace for contact.

3. Cotchin knows he was going to make contact with Shiel before contesting the ball and elects to bump.

The image was in response to this.

And as this wise person has commented, it appears that his hand was in a position to collect the ball on his chest.

Which is fair enough, but on the one side of the argument we have facts;
a) Cripps jumped in the air
b) Cripps hit Ah Chee in the head with his hip/elbow
c) Ah Chee was concussed
d) Ah Chee left the game and will miss round 22.

On the other side we have;
a) Cripps’ left hand was open and may have indicated he was trying to contest the ball.

It’s at best circumstantial and at worst, given that the arm was nowhere near the ball’s path, and opposite the arm doing the bumping, completely irrelevant.

1. Shiel had the ball in his hands before collision was made.

2. Cotchins’ left arm was outstretched, however, his right arm was tucked in to brace for contact.

3. Cotchin knows he was going to make contact with Shiel before contesting the ball and elects to bump.

Agreed.

Nice melt.

How about players simply don't come in late to a marking contest, with no intent to impact the actual ball, leading with their shoulder?

It was a dumb action by Cripps. He had multiple options that he could have chosen that wouldn't have resulted in knocking out Ah Chee. He chose none of them.
How about in future no one getting injured in a tackle, in a marking contest, whilst running, whilst competing.
You have a "duty of care" to make sure no one around you gets injured.

Whether you like it or not - that is the way the game is heading. They want to attract the soccer mums. And it is YOUR responsibility now to ensure t others don't get injured.

Like I said, the situation with Lewis Young from earlier in the year is a perfect encapsulation of the way the game is going.
He had two alternatives.
1- brace his body and bump (so as to protect his body)
2- jump out of the way and dive on the ground rolling around.

The 2nd alternative is now the preferred option. It will take a few years, but it seems like within a while physical contact (it seems) will largely be eradicated.

Cripps (with hindsight shouldn't have leapt TO COMPETE for the ball) but once you make the decision to contest and take your feet off the ground from now on you are liable. There was no indication he wanted to harm his opponent. He just wanted to be in the best position for a contest. And that was with momentum. Keep your feet on the ground is now the rule at all times unless going for a mark. I presume that is the rule they have made up mid-year? is it written in stone yet? not important. Make an example of him.

Second to the ball is now the way to go. Looking at tackling situations. That Collingwood forward with tattoos Jamie Elliott got three of his goals by NOT going for the ball. He waited until they picked it up, they had no prior opportunity in at least 1-2 of them, but it didn't matter. The tackle was that good that the ball spilled out.

We were always taught "get first to the ball". Not always advisable. The game is changing for a reason.

Last edited:
Which is fair enough, but on the one side of the argument we have facts;
a) Cripps jumped in the air
b) Cripps hit Ah Chee in the head with his hip/elbow
c) Ah Chee was concussed
d) Ah Chee left the game and will miss round 22.

On the other side we have;
a) Cripps’ left hand was open and may have indicated he was trying to contest the ball.

It’s at best circumstantial and at worst, given that the arm was nowhere near the ball’s path, and opposite the arm doing the bumping, completely irrelevant.
but there is no video evidence to support any claim he was contesting the ball. He didn’t reach for it. At all.
Yup, so back to the original point of my post… there is evidence to support a claim he was contesting the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back